Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How would the size and nature of a Puerto Rico project compare to the one in Australia?

WAG's welcome.

I don't see how it helps at all. The problem is the distribution of the electricity and the generation. What they need is residential solar and pw1s so people can be disconnected from the non existing utility. Communities could link up and share so that they are stronger together, but the main issue is that even if you had a huge solar farm with batteries, all the power lines and transformers are down and need to be fixed. Tesla is sending pw to people with solar panels still working.

Is there away to protect a solar farm for the times when there is a hurricane coming? Can you fold them down to the ground and lay plywood over then to protect them while the storm passes over? Still doesn't fix the infrastructure to delivery the energy.

Edit: if you're starting over from nothing, you could probably build a hurricane resistant system but pr doesn't have that kinda money. You would need to bury the per lines and distribute the batteries and have residential solar, that way individuals wouldn't all need pw1,a community could share a regional per pack with buried lines to their home to store the entire communities excess electricity for use at night.

Is there away to protect a solar farm for the times when there is a hurricane coming? Can you fold them down to the ground and lay plywood over then to protect them while the storm passes over? Still doesn't fix the infrastructure to delivery the energy.

Edit: if you're starting over from nothing, you could probably build a hurricane resistant system but pr doesn't have that kinda money. You would need to bury the per lines and distribute the batteries and have residential solar, that way individuals wouldn't all need pw1,a community could share a regional per pack with buried lines to their home to store the entire communities excess electricity for use at night.
FWIW, I designed and installed a photovoltaic system on a remote island in the Bahamas, in 1990. I anchored the panels with deep concrete mounting but made zero coverings for the panels. The charge controller and inverters were in a high ground protected area close to the panels themselves. A couple years after installation a Cat 5 hurricane (Andrew) had the eye pass over the island. Storm surge came up to the panels but did not submerge them. During the storm our power never was interrupted, and we had satellite phone (remember them?) connections during the storm also.

We do not know what the exact max wind speed over our island was. We do know the system operated unscathed and continues to do so even today, I am told.

In PR independent freestanding photovoltaic or wind systems can be installed to be extreme weather resistant. FOD still could destroy them. The could have utility interconnect or not and submerged waterproof transmission lines are less expensive than one might think, especially when you're starting from scratch, which much of PR must now do.

This is a very large opportunity for TE, and they know it. lethargy and disbelief are the problems, not the technology nor cost.

FWIW, I designed and installed a photovoltaic system on a remote island in the Bahamas, in 1990. I anchored the panels with deep concrete mounting but made zero coverings for the panels. The charge controller and inverters were in a high ground protected area close to the panels themselves. A couple years after installation a Cat 5 hurricane (Andrew) had the eye pass over the island. Storm surge came up to the panels but did not submerge them. During the storm our power never was interrupted, and we had satellite phone (remember them?) connections during the storm also.

We do not know what the exact max wind speed over our island was. We do know the system operated unscathed and continues to do so even today, I am told.

In PR independent freestanding photovoltaic or wind systems can be installed to be extreme weather resistant. FOD still could destroy them. The could have utility interconnect or not and submerged waterproof transmission lines are less expensive than one might think, especially when you're starting from scratch, which much of PR must now do.

This is a very large opportunity for TE, and they know it. lethargy and disbelief are the problems, not the technology nor cost.

Wow, that is awesome. When I look at a solar farm all I see is a bunch of wind catching sails, so I guess I assumed they couldnt be easily protected. So maybe they can just anchor and protect the solar cells while they bury the power lines. Is it really so much more expensive to bury power lines then run them on poles. I am sure some form of distribution would powerpacks with residential solar could be useful as well.

In terms of PR, I think there might be a big time bailout coming, though I usually despise them, this is a case where the tragedy outweighs the fiscal conservatism. I dont think it is fair to think an island state like that can fully protect itself from hurricanes, but they let that place get pretty bad before the storm and it made things worse for sure.

• Informative
Reactions: dc_h
Elon kinda congrats GM for going to the right direction.

And that's how they they respond :

Tesla rival says Elon Musk is “full of crap”

Those people who's minds don't work will fail. I have observed this phenomenon many times.

Scott Miller, "who leads General Motor’s autonomous driving projects", probably will be forced to quit at some point. To successfully lead this kind of project, his mind has to work.

Edit:
1. What makes him think Model 3's price range can't allow full autonomous driving?
2. What makes him think Tesla's autonomous driving doesn't have redundancy for safety?
Seems to me he is wrong on both. That is fine. But when he accuses a rival without a sound base, that shows his mind doesn't work right.

Last edited:
upload_2017-10-6_14-54-26.png

Teslanomics Compares Tesla Model 3 To Competitors - Video

Interesting comparison of Model 3 with BMW 3, Mercedes S and Audi 4. Not even close! Also, the comparison does not consider dual drive and the better handling characteristics due to the low center of gravity of the Model 3. Can't wait until we hear from the general public once Model 3 is being produced at thousands per week.
Mercedes C class, not S class. S is top of the line, Model S competitor.

• Informative
Reactions: doctoxics
So if a deal comes out of the Puerto Rico twitter exchange, is anyone else concerned about where the batteries will come from? The Australia deal required tapping Samsung for some batteries. With Model 3 production in full swing, Gigafactory construction would have to be put into overdrive, no?

Welcome to production hell?

This is why Elon wanted to inspire others to join Tesla; the ecosystem that needs fixing/upgrading/changing is not mouse nuts. I'm still confused what everyone else is waiting for, the flashing neon sign couldn't be any bigger so let's announce a meeting to discuss the possibility of organizing a consortium to maybe build our own Gigafactory to produce batteries 10 years from now, and announce some useless concept sporty 2-seater that we might make a handful of each year starting never, and announce how a decade from now we'll add some hybrid cars to our inventory, blah, blah, blah...

Seriously, at what point does someone else stand up and put their own nuts on the table for the whole world to see? At this point I'm thinking never or until Tesla pretty much rules the planet, whichever comes first.

Okay after reading the article and doing a little research on Thai Summit all I can say is a certain article writer is blowing smoke out their you-know-what.

This company at most is doing sub-assemblies for Tesla. *yawn* Nothing to do with production line as we are thinking of it or ‘body panel line’, which by the way does not exist in the automotive world. No such thing.

Thai Summit for the most part is a stamping shop. They also do a little of this and that (ie. die design and building). It makes no sense they’d be doing body panels for Model 3 (unless some of the initial prototype parts) given the new press line Tesla had put in Fremont. It also makes no sense for a second set of body panel die sets to exist, yet, for Model 3 given cash outlay required, the ramp hasn’t been completed, gross margins not met and continued growth of demand requiring such.

My take is a little different. This sounds like they might be providing subassembly for either the Semi, the Y or the secret pickup truck. According the Neidermeyer (isn't this the same guy that was shot by his own troops in Viet Nam and tried to shoot Flounder), the Model 3 work that Thai Summit is doing won't be ready til end of 2018, based on his presumed timelines. Whatever filter this guy has going is causing him to misinterpret the facts, but it is pretty obvious that the Model 3 assembly line is installed, whatever remains is tweaks or bolt-ins to increase production.
Another potential is that Tesla intends to build the Y on the same line, and increasing production to 10,000 a week is the reason they are using the same platform as the 3. I've been thinking about this the last couple of weeks, based on the pause in announcing the new GF. Part of that is waiting for the changes to be completed in Chinese ownership requirements, and also waiting until the 3 is moving to full production. Not necessarily 5000 a week, but not until they announce the assembly line is running over 1000 a week. That announcement might be a tweet of a flying sloth, or some other clue for the "cult", or just announcing the opening of the design studio. To me, the sloth, bear and sunny roof imply there is a tweak or two left and we'll see ordering start as soon as next week. Stuff happens, but it looks like Elon is going to be primarily focused on production with minor distractions of putting together a proposal for Puerto Rico's power grid and two rockets launches this weekend, so pretty focused.

I don't know the cost differences but I believe one issue is that buried lines need to be larger since heat isn't dissipated as quickly.
I've done a little work in pulling underground high voltage lines (campus distribution, not the really HV stuff but there are similar considerations).

Another significant factor is the insulation necessary if you want to co-locate the phases within the same conduit. As you don't have the insulating value of air as you do in an overhead arrangement, the cable itself has to have significantly more insulation, typically including a spiral-wrapped metallic shield that helps prevent bubbles that could form within the cable due to the capacitive effect of being immediately adjacent a different phase.

The insulation also has to assume standing water could make it's way in to the conduit.

You can run phases in separate conduits/trenches, but this also increases expense.

It's the exposure that would be more valuable than the profit anyway. Tesla isn't going to have a lack of batteries in the future.
I don't think the margins are very favorable yet, but at this scale they could get better pricing from Samsung to provide a significant share of the batteries and help keep Panasonic focused on Tesla battery production. The more they can keep the industry focused on their processes, the faster they can drive cost reductions for their solutions. They would also need to partner on solar cells. There is no way the NY plant could produce enough solar to power an Island the size of PR in the next 6-9 months. I do think they could build hundreds of kits to build of the first responder environment now though. Basically a shipping container with solar cells and 1-2 Powerpacks. They could very quickly power up dozens or hundreds of sites. The big question for a project like this would be financial sustainability. Trump is not going to sponsor legislation to fund 500 million for distributed solar, so how can this happen? Tesla can't afford to hand out a billion in Solar cells and battery packs.
I hope something can be worked out and at the least provide some basic infrastructure and prove the ability of Solar\Battery to provide a rapid and cost effective solution. I doubt our governments ability to come up with a solution I find rational.

Reactions: Intl Professor
Status
Not open for further replies.