Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Roadster is mind-blowing (I want one!)

Too bad the feed was so *sugary* but as Elon suggested Semi far exceeds speculated specs:

500 mile range -- not some short range, over sized delivery van (critical!)
Worldwide mega charger network
20% less true cost to own (this is HUGE)
50% less true cost to own when platooning (competitive with railroads)
400 mile recharge in 30 minutes
1 million mile powertrain warranty
Safer (convoy technology TODAY 10X safer than human driver)
Solar powered

This is clearly going to be a game changer. Only question is how fast.

Any trucking business owner should reserve as many as they can, immediately. Otherwise the waiting line will be so long, they will be out of business. Because those who get the Tesla Semi first will be able to offer lower price and take away all the trucking business. Platooning is really a killer, it will take away some railroad's business, let alone diesel trucks.

If they all understand this situation, the reservation could pass one million in a week.

Ok, I'm super giddy, but did Elon describe this Roadster as the "base" Model? That's too funny. And no, I do NOT believe there will be "performance" version.

Let the ICE super car smackdown begin. Porsche Mission E? Back to the drawing board.

The Porsche guys should start to prepare their resumes. This is not a joke. They will have a really hard time very soon. As soon as Tesla's new roadster starts reservation, Porsche will have a hard time to sell sports cars. Their SUV will face the new Model X and Y. I don't think the management of Porsche fully understand the situation.

Any trucking business owner should reserve as many as they can, immediately. Otherwise the waiting line will be so long, they will be out of business. Because those who get the Tesla Semi first will be able to offer lower price and take away all the trucking business. Platooning is really a killer, it will take away some railroad's business, let alone diesel trucks.

If they all understand this situation, the reservation could pass one million in a week.

I do think there will be competitive electric semis out by the time the Tesla Semi comes out... but they'll have waiting lists too. So yeah, every trucker needs to get in line as early as possible...

----

Also, do you think they're really going to make that crazy oversized pickup? If we're appealing to the American "oversized truck I don't need" ego, I suspect it would sell... probably not a practical work truck though.

Reactions: Intl Professor
I do think there will be competitive electric semis out by the time the Tesla Semi comes out... but they'll have waiting lists too. So yeah, every trucker needs to get in line as early as possible...

From whom? Who else can get a 1 MW battery pack at Tesla's price? This is Tesla's major competetive advantage--nobody can make that many cells as cheaply as Tesla.

Short term I don’t think this will mean much, but 2020-2022 time frame, the additional revenue from the truck could be substantial.

Tesla will be providing the MegaCharging stations... 7 cents per kWh is real cheap but Elon probably has the team aiming for 6 cents cost to provide. If Tesla gets 25% global market share (maybe a real big if, but #1 of 4 or 5 providers with 99% market share is at 35-40%), that's roughly 3-5 billion dollars a year in fueling earnings way down the road if they hit steady state of 25% of global fleet. And, if they make the claim of becoming cheaper than rail, it will be an expanding market for the semi and the megacharging network.

take all of that with a large grain of, I'm hyper at the moment, salt :)

Reactions: DragonWatch
That's indeed pretty much "mind blown" - wow, didn't expect the roadster. Good move I think that's an ICE-kill all around: From Semis to performance cars, Tesla asserted dominance tonight - that should kill Mission-E etc. nonsense. If Porsche wants to go to market in 2019 with 2012 Model S specs, they better up their game. I see folks in VW Group throwing fits / having nervous breakdowns now...

was thinking the same thing. they must feel like throwing up at Porsche, BMW, Mercedes. I actually feel for them... working a couple of years on products that just got vibrantly lapped and obsoleted without warning.

From whom? Who else can get a 1 MW battery pack at Tesla's price? This is Tesla's major competetive advantage--nobody can make that many cells as cheaply as Tesla.
Some Chinese company. Things are moving so fast I wouldn't dare to predict which one.

This doesn't really change the underlying point, which is that for some years the demand will be higher than all competitors together can possibly supply, i.e. they'll sell every vehicle they can make at any price.

(I think this is the fundamental mistake made by people who are bearish on Tesla: they don't get that electric vehicles will replace ALL vehicles as fast as they can be produced.)

Been lurking this forum since late 2013, but never had to post anything really valuable. I am hoping to at least be able to click "likes" now. I am just very excited as everyone here, although not sure whether today's event by itself will have a really positive impact on SP tomorrow/short term. Nevertheless, I am glad to have added another 100 shares today. The best Tesla event I've ever seen so far.

I am wondering what is the better as a long-term investment (say 15+ years), Founder's Roadster or TSLA. I think TSLA would be less risky / more liquid, but pretty sure Founder's Roadsters will be a nice collector's car in future. Although it would be painful to keep Roadster under the cover, and not drive it at all.

Governments dependent on the gas/diesel tax for highways will really have to get their acts together on maintenance financing, especially if platooning becomes a reality. The future is clear, but crunch time may be much sooner.

In the US, if they actually do get their act together on that, and they actually charge the trucks for the road maintenance rather than taking it out of everyone's income taxes... be warned that trucks will become much weaker economically against railroads, which in the US currently already have to pay for their own tracks (which is a massive thumb on the scales in favor of trucks).

Love the new Roadster, but it won't be that important to the company. Say they sell 5000 per year at 250k USD, that's 1.25 billion USD. That's not a huge revenue for a company that will be at maybe 100 billion valuation.

But it does bode well for future higher end Tesla vehicles!
They will sell a lot more than that. Anybody who has a P will want a roadster. By 2020 that’s at least 50K/year. Since there’s literally no argument anymore (except price) not to buy it it may go to 100K+/year.

There was a hint recently :
Tesla unlocks Next Gen Roadster as 'Secret Level' prize for top referrers

Roadster indeed mind blowing..
Even Mark B.S. still silent on twitter, he needs more time to make up a fully new Tesla = Zero thesis.
.. as ALL his earlier ones are now blown away, to a lower dimension..

- lead in Ev tech reconfirmed
- lead in battery tech (some mind blowing stuff must be happening there if you consider roadster specs)

Touch day for all other car companies today.

Last edited:
Love the new Roadster, but it won't be that important to the company. Say they sell 5000 per year at 250k USD, that's 1.25 billion USD. That's not a huge revenue for a company that will be at maybe 100 billion valuation.

But it does bode well for future higher end Tesla vehicles!

What percent of market share do you think the Roadster will have of vehicles priced $150K and up? Put another way, what percent of people planning to spend within $50K of the Roadster starting price and up will find another vehicle in that price range more attractive?

Fastest production car ever also ups brand image, increasing sales and optioning of other products. Before I jumped back here to TMC, I was already literally thinking... well, I can't see myself driving a new Roadster, but, now, that performance Model 3 seems a lot more reasonable to go for than I ever thought it would seem to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.