Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tick. Tick. Tick. And sold out.

Nope, I have no idea if or when they will sell out. But there's easily got to be 1,000 people in those millions that follow Elon Musk on Twitter. I think 2 - 3 days.

yeah, that's literally as fast or faster than the time from a cap raise announcement to closing, and adds $250 million in cash they can use (from what I read a few years ago in Tesla's filings). of course, there will be further funds coming in from the semi reservation, and non-founders reservations.

Reactions: neroden
Some Chinese company. Things are moving so fast I wouldn't dare to predict which one.

This doesn't really change the underlying point, which is that for some years the demand will be higher than all competitors together can possibly supply, i.e. they'll sell every vehicle they can make at any price.

(I think this is the fundamental mistake made by people who are bearish on Tesla: they don't get that electric vehicles will replace ALL vehicles as fast as they can be produced.)
Chinese supplier can guarantee 1 million mile lifetime on their cells?

• Funny
Reactions: Drax7
After rewatching the presentation I noticed something I didn’t notice on the first take and I haven’t seen mentioned here.

Jerome thanked people in the industry for their contributions and feedback on the semi and said they “placed a lot of reservations.”

Yes. I think he pointed to the main section of the audience to thank for the referrals and then pointed to a section on the side..probably trucking industry invitees.

With every new event, they give less "meat" of information than they used to. Like even battery capacity, technical details, and why/how the economics works. Which is fine. To me, it just shows that they don't feel the need to be persuasive as they used to.
Welcome to the non-stop posting club!

I wouldn't pay too much attention to tomorrow's price. It doesn't mean much. Tesla is on it's way to become the largest company in the world. Long term holding is the key, add on every pullback.

Oh, regarding long-term investment, my lesson is great companies beat "things" by a wide margin.
Thanks for welcoming. Still haven't figured out how to do "likes", I am guessing it just post number dependent. So just went as a "supporting" member for now.
For the "things" thing, the same experience for myself. I think I just WANTED the Roadster right away, and was trying to convince myself with an "investment" concept ;)
...Back to lurking mode.

Last edited:
Now that millions of mass market Model 3 are plying our roads on sunshine, 100 GFs are in full swing and global warming is a distant memory, it is time to move on to Master plan 3. 1% is not the focus anymore. Let's focus on the 0.001%.

That's all great. ;) Let's have a SP pop tomorrow and we will all be happy :)

"Off the hook demand for Powerwall" in May 2015 -> no record in quarterly reports to date.
Solar roof showcased and sold out last year -> Still in pilot phase. Only 2 installs for insiders.
"Lots of reservations" means what? -> 20? 25? 50?

Too bad trucks are bought for business. Unlike private car buyers, these people work with numbers, Let's hope Jerry Brown steps in with some block buster subsidy program for a California company.

Last edited:
Honestly, the new Roadster seems to be a really cool car, and I have no doubt it will sell, as people with money to burn will buy the fastest production 1/4 mile time ever. And I have no doubt the margins will be fat.

I am having a harder time grasping the unbridled optimism about the truck. The information they provided was absolutely not enough to drive a truck purchase for a commercial trucking operation. The only specs they gave were for GVW, with no information about how much the truck weighs, which means a hauler can't figure out how much per ton per mile of actual freight hauled. In addition, the economics being advantageous are entirely driven by electricity prices being considerably lower than the average US price, which means the truck won't make money if the customer is purchasing grid power. In order to make it work, they also have to have the Tesla charging infrastructure in place. I'm not saying it can't happen ever, but it's not in place now, and if you listened to the conference call, they are pulling back capital spending on car infrastructure right now. This would indicate they are not in a position to start investing in truck charging infrastructure. Is there anyone else who isn't mind blown by the truck presentation?

• Disagree
Reactions: MTL_HABS1909
I guess you are the only one not blown away. Tesla is the only manufacturer that can pull this off. Look at the specs, the charger will have to charge way over 1MWh so local buffer is needed (plus tons of solar panels) and they already have proven they can pull off a worldwide charging network. Who else can? So again, this shows vertical integration and leverage at its best.

And it looks like they are not the only one. A post from A reddit user below. Although you don't have prove its hard to believe that with this spec's most of the professional truck companies won't be attracted. Lets look at the competition like Daimer: 220 Miles Range ? Thats less than half of that what Tesla did revealed.

_ohm_my 15 Punkte vor 3 Stunden

At the event tonight, I talked to 2 people that have put in $100 million orders for Semis. Tesla could be racking in some serious cash now.

The Semi and the Roadster will bring solid cash in the operation. Capital will help to overcome production delays and bottlenecks.

Thats was a well timed Event!

One more thought: it looked to me like the new Roadster was built on the S/X platform. Or maybe the 3 platform.

I suspect it won't have its own dedicated production line, but will be built on the same line as other higher-volume models. This makes sense since you can't really justify a full production line for a convertible given how few convertibles can be sold per year. What do others think?

Pretty sure it's on the 3 platform. The roadster 1 is a much smaller car than an s. It wouldn't make sense to go to a bigger form factor. Also it has the nose shape of a 3.

I guess you are the only one not blown away. Tesla is the only manufacturer that can pull this off. Look at the specs, the charger will have to charge way over 1MWh so local buffer is needed (plus tons of solar panels) and they already have proven they can pull off a worldwide charging network. Who else can? So again, this shows vertical integration and leverage at its best.
I meant to say value chain, not vertical integration...

Interesting that Tesla told Ryder that the range would be 200-300 miles, and since then they've found a way to double it to 500. Along with the 200KWh battery somehow fitting in the Roadster I think it's pretty clear that Tesla has found a way to double the energy density of their batteries. This is huge. Tesla Energy products are going to be twice as good too.

So let me just recap what we just witnessed.
Almost every single car maker in the world has announced plans to unveil electric cars in the next 3-5 years. Some like Audi and Porsche are coming in the next 2 years. Every single one of these announcements is talking about cars in the 200-300mile range. Not one was announced that is faster then 3s, which means that all of these announcements are not even competing with the current S/X or 3.

And while these companies are busy working on their EVs, Tesla shows that they are capable of building cars with 500-600 miles of range?! Good luck to everyone else. Tesla will make them look like little kids.

sure gotta give it to Musk. He knows how to rack up hype.
From a Business perspective though....not enough numbers and in the end a continuation of the neverending promise. I´m waiting for the next m3 production numbers before putting down any more money.

So let me just recap what we just witnessed.
Almost every single car maker in the world has announced plans to unveil electric cars in the next 3-5 years. Some like Audi and Porsche are coming in the next 2 years. Every single one of these announcements is talking about cars in the 200-300mile range. Not one was announced that is faster then 3s, which means that all of these announcements are not even competing with the current S/X or 3.

And while these companies are busy working on their EVs, Tesla shows that they are capable of building cars with 500-600 miles of range?! Good luck to everyone else. Tesla will make them look like little kids.
eh eh eh...they have only shown that they can put together good looking prototypes with massive claims behind them. This doesn`t mean that they can actually produce them in numbers...or cost efficient, or at all. Truck production is a hell of a lot more complex than something like the model 3.
Prototypes mean nothing as the classic manufacturers have shown in the last 30 years again and again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.