Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure they meant supercharged engine. But there is an error in the charge time section. It's not going to take 8.5 hours to charge at 80amp and 240v. That is like 19KW, so probably less then 4 hours from 0% which should never happen and most will not be range charging every day and will stop at 80-90%.

But the Model 3 doesn't offer 80-amp dual chargers, so that is completely a mistake.

I think those next 3 weeks are going to be full of surprises. I expect a lot of FUD mixed with very positive news. With the final strike at the end of the month with the deliveries numbers and M3 official update.

I notice a bunch of FUD on reddit lately, i.e. the Elon Musk at NIPS 2017 AI conference: “Automotive CEO’s are the flat-earthers of technology” • r/teslamotors is full of ford-f150 nerds bashing tesla, and defending the ridiculous start/stop ignition-switch of legacy car makers electric cars as 'prioritizing safety'.

• Funny
Reactions: GoTslaGo
I believe the Model 3 has the single 72 Amp charger on board, and 72 Amps is the maximum continuous draw from and 80 Amp service. So 17kW or so for AC charging.

Nope. Standard range Model 3 comes with a 32 amp charger, Long range Model 3 comes with a 48 amp charger. See: Home charging installation

72 amp charger isn't an option on the Model 3.

Both correct, my bad, sorry.

Not bad. I have dual chargers. Have used them maybe twice in 5 years. Why? because one doesn't need 80 amps, or 72, or 64 or 48. I have a 40 amp charger that came with the car. I charge at 32. My car is always full every morning, and with 250 miles of range, I don't worry about charging on the way (put 180 miles on it yesterday, just running around, 30,000 miles a year). On trips, we have the free supercharging.

Most folk drive about an hour or so a day. The car sits the rest of the time. What in the world is the big excitement about 80 amp charging? You in a hurry?

Not bad. I have dual chargers. Have used them maybe twice in 5 years. Why? because one doesn't need 80 amps, or 72, or 64 or 48. I have a 40 amp charger that came with the car. I charge at 32. My car is always full every morning, and with 250 miles of range, I don't worry about charging on the way (put 180 miles on it yesterday, just running around, 30,000 miles a year). On trips, we have the free supercharging.

Most folk drive about an hour or so a day. The car sits the rest of the time. What in the world is the big excitement about 80 amp charging? You in a hurry?

I paid for the 72A charger upgrade back when we got the Model X end of May 2016. I must have used it twice since then. Only one of the times I actually benefitted from it when doing a faster charge while waiting for it, the other time it just meant the car was full at 1am instead of 4am at the destination charger in front of the hotel, which is not really better since we were heading out to the ski resort at 8am.

• Informative
Reactions: mrdoubleb
If I had invested my $232,000 March last year or $50,000 July this year in Bitcoin instead, I would have close to a million dollars at least if not 2 or 3 million, minus taxes, but alas, I am only partially currently invested in Bitcoin and quite a bit in TSLA. This, on today’s trip that had me go through Fremont had me produce this video:

Well... not so much in a hurry, but when we were travelling back to the west coast from New York on the Trans-Canada, it sure helped to have dual chargers and after 3-4 hours of driving, "only" having to wait for 4 hours on a 100A Sun Country EVSE instead of essentially an entire day limited to 40A. This isn't to argue with you; you have a good point. The supercharger rollout is massive compared to where it was in 2014. However, still waiting for the Trans-Canada. :)

[EDIT:] I guess I should add, my wife really didn't like the L2 charging long trip experience. Supercharging is the way to go.

If I had invested my $232,000 March last year or $50,000 July this year in Bitcoin instead, I would have close to a million dollars at least if not 2 or 3 million, minus taxes, but alas, I am only partially currently invested in Bitcoin and quite a bit in TSLA. This, on today’s trip that had me go through Fremont had me produce this video:

Great to see many second growth VIN numbers, thx for the update.

Yes, if any of us had perfectly timed the TSLA, NVDA, Bitcoin asset transfer trifecta we wouldn't be posting on TMC...

This is further implication of ramping.

Great video, even though it's vertical. Now we know where some of the 1000-2000 are. Maybe they can deliver 3000 this year and Adam Jonas will have to upgrade the by 50% for beating his estimate by 50%! If they can exit the year greater then 1000/w produced, I think that would calm investor's nerves. That would be about as many as S/X each and gets you pay the point where there are claims that things are hand built.

Reactions: neroden
Great video, even though it's vertical. Now we know where some of the 1000-2000 are. Maybe they can deliver 3000 this year and Adam Jonas will have to upgrade the by 50% for beating his estimate by 50%! If they can exit the year greater then 1000/w produced, I think that would calm investor's nerves. That would be about as many as S/X each and gets you pay the point where there are claims that things are hand built.
Yes, exiting producing at a rate of >1,000/week seems like it would get the market excited. The best would be to actually have produced >1,000 in the last week but I'd take an Elonism whereby if they produced 143 the last day of the year he'd be able to say the run rate had eclipsed 1,000/week. Pair that with >100,000 total deliveries in 2017 (squelching the Osborning argument), hundreds of semi reservations and some Tesla Energy eggnog and we TSLA owners might be in business in 2018. Then they gotta get to 5,000/week by 3/31. Could be 715 on the last day of the quarter...

Reactions: EnzoXYZ

You saw #1133? Has @Waiting4M3 been informed? ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Waiting4M3

Cool, thanks for the update! Looking better for the ramp. Also like your historical-context VIN commentary :).

Reactions: Intl Professor
Status
Not open for further replies.