Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that "home charging". Is way more important than superchargers as the cause of the disruption, especially if solar powered.

Home charging is certainly part of it and it takes the largest bite out of gas station use, but the existence of the supercharger network is what will get people to buy an EV over an ICE in massive amounts as the price of EV's come down. It's the difference between buying a city car with a tether to your home vs. what people think of in their head as a car (something you can take on a trip). To fit the image of a car it has to represent freedom to go where you want. This is why the Bolt and the Leaf aren't Tesla competitors and can only have a niche market. If Battery capacity was going to increase in the future to 400 kwh then home charging and destination charging would be the disruptive innovation but we know that isn't likely and the supercharger network is critical. The Problem with Experts - why Uber, Tesla and the iPhone are Disruptive Innovations

I agree that Tesla would have done better with pouch cells. However, they would be heading in that direction if pouch cells looked even to be potentially equal to the cylindrical cells they have chosen to use.
It's actually the opposite. They would have switched if they saw a clear advantage to large format pouch cells.

Why would they reinvent the wheel (years of experience and r and d) if they believed that larger format pouch cells are only "potentially equal" to small cylindrical cells.

... Everyone else is almost completely using permanent magnet motors that have some pretty good characteristics for low power, short range EVs made in small quantities. But at higher power ranges with much higher scale of production, they'll probably end up switching over to AC induction motors and have to go through the development steps for such motors and power electronics. ...
Yes, efficient permanent magnet motors require rare earth magnets, and these are in limited supply, mostly in China, so ramping up volume is problematic.

Reactions: neroden
I suspect that the $9k loss figure includes program development costs, something that Tesla doesn't put into their COGS. If you believe that the Bolt is mostly a derivative of the Gamma 2 platform, then maybe their development costs aren't so high... but if you believe that the development amounted to near a normal platform development cost, that's roughly $1 billion dollars. At only 30,000 volume initially, maybe ramping to 50,000 or so, over 3 years, that's not a lot cars to amortize the development costs of a platform. Tesla's development costs have been actually quite low... its just that Tesla doesn't have access to the same level of funding. After the Faraday Future presentation the other night, maybe it's a blessing that Tesla couldn't say yes to every little whim their product designers dreamed up. FF seems to have gone through a lot funding without nearly as much progress, given that Tesla blazed a very well lit trail.

As for the other OEMs, I'll believe it when I see the very big and public battery production investments that put the Gigafactory 1 to shame. For the U.S. alone, there are roughly 16 to 20 million cars sold each year. For 25% of that to be long distance BEVs, that's 4 Gigafactory 1's worth at full output, not counting stationary storage at all. That's likely a $10 billion dollar investment for each, and given how cost inefficient the major OEMs tend to be (look at the Daimler battery assembly factory that uses cells made elsewhere), they might need more.
I suspect GM will loose a lot more than $9,000 on every Chevy Bolt sold. The Chevy Bolt will likely have one of the worst resale value of any vehicle GM has ever produced.

• Disagree
Reactions: flankspeed8
I can just see them needing to get a new supplier due to a shortage of something dopey like lug nuts or fabric glue, discovered at the last minute, causing a three-month delay.
Of course, if it something simple, replacing the supplier should be simple, too. Hopefully, they require samples of the parts, and hopefully can predict failures before the deadline, and either produce in house, or find another supplier. I suspect teh suppliers will be motivated not to accrue the bad publicity for missing the deadline.

It's actually the opposite. They would have switched if they saw a clear advantage to large format pouch cells.

Why would they reinvent the wheel (years of experience and r and d) if they believed that larger format pouch cells are only "potentially equal" to small cylindrical cells.
I surmise that large format pouches are harder to temperature regulate to prevent degradation? And hence riskier from customer satisfaction, warranty, etc.?

You stated that Panasonic was using the same cell manufacturing equipment in Japan, so that was the reason that they could get the Gigafactory phase one up so quickly. It's exactly the opposite.

They designed, developed and produced new equipment for the Gigafactory phase one. It's possible that they have also simultaneously produced cell manufacturing equipment using that design in Japan but we don't have any confirmation of that. It's also possible and much more likely that they modified some of their existing equipment to produce 2170 cells instead of 18650 cells.

If they built newly designed equipment in Japan they would be able to produce a lot more cells for substantially less money than their existing 18650's. The evidence seems to be that the volume of 2170's coming out of Japan is very limited.

Not sure how you know this. Doesn't it make more sense that Panasonic developed a new 2170 line in Osaka first and then replicated it in Gigafactory1? Why wouldn't Panasonic want to have a source of 2170 energy storage cells for their own energy storage business and for other car manufacurers (Toyota)? We know they manufacured the 2170 cells for energy storage in Osaka at least 4 months ago. Anyway, this issue is less important now, as Panasonic is producing 2170 energy storage cells in Gigafactory1.

volume = pi*r2*h
1865 cell: 16540.49 mm^3
2170 cell: 24245.24 mm^3
46.58% increase in volume
"Volume" does not capture what's happening inside the cell though. Ladies and gentlemen, we have a Jelly Roll. How many more Windings of film/coatings does each additional mm of diameter allow to fit?

(when these are dissected and able to be examined)
18650 cell Anode Surface Area:
18650 cell Cathode Surface Area:
2170 cell Anode Surface Area:
2170 cell Cathode Surface Area:
Carry on. :)

Last edited:
Any thoughts on TSLA getting added to the S&P 500 this year? Their Market Cap is higher than many companies in the index.
The S&P 500 is actually decided by committee, bizarrely. TSLA would have been added some time ago if it were a mechanically defined index, but the committee has its own particular biases. It does seem kind of unavoidable that TSLA will be added sometime in the next few years, and it'll go up ridiculously the week it happens, because there's *so much money* in S&P tracking funds.

Edit: oops, did not see your edit.

What is your opinion about how the new cooling works? a cooling base with gap-filling counter-current fins between the cells? [[ I can't remember the name of those little miracles. ]]
Heat pipes.

In a thermosyphon, liquid working fluid is vaporized by a heat supplied to the evaporator at the bottom of the heat pipe. The vapor travels to the condenser at the top of the heat pipe, where it condenses. The liquid then drains back to the bottom of the heat pipe by gravity, and the cycle repeats.
Heat pipe - Wikipedia
Wikipedia › wiki › Heat_pipe

I don 't know anything more about the technology than @vgrinshpun posted. I'm not even positive that they are using those, but I remember finding something online that made me think it's likely.

The S&P 500 is actually decided by committee, bizarrely. TSLA would have been added some time ago if it were a mechanically defined index, but the committee has its own particular biases. It does seem kind of unavoidable that TSLA will be added sometime in the next few years, and it'll go up ridiculously the week it happens, because there's *so much money* in S&P tracking funds.
That’s it. The index includes 500 of the largest (not necessarily the 500 largest) companies whose stocks trade on either the NYSE or NASDAQ. Like popes and Oscar winners, the components of the S&P 500 are selected by committee. And, like the College of Cardinals and the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences, the S&P 500 committee operates within specific criteria. To qualify for the index, a company must have:

• a market cap of $5.3 billion
  • its headquarters in the U.S.
  • the value of its market capitalization trade annually
  • at least a quarter-million of its shares trade in each of the previous six months
  • most of its shares in the public’s hands
  • at least half a year since its initial public offering
  • Four straight quarters of positive as-reported earnings.

It's the last item that is the sticking point. Think it would be a no brainer if Tesla has positive earnings 4 quarters in a row. I will be buying speculative calls when we are 3 quarters positive.

Read more: The S&P 500: The Index You Need To Know | Investopedia The S&P 500: The Index You Need To Know
Follow us: Investopedia on Facebook

Last edited:
Tesla was production constrained in 2014 and 2015.

Battery cells were likely a bottleneck.

Every Model X delivery would mean one less Model S delivery.

Marginal revenue would be negligible.
Please! Ludicrous post!

That doesn't mean that Tesla intentionally slowed the MX production! The delay obviously cost them a lot of money!

"Volume" does not capture what's happening inside the cell though. Ladies and gentlemen, we have a Jelly Roll. How many more Windings of film/coatings does each additional mm of diameter allow to fit?

18650 cell Anode Surface Area:
18650 cell Cathode Surface Area:
2170 cell Anode Surface Area:
2170 cell Cathode Surface Area:
Carry on. :)
We cannot do that calculation without knowing wrap gap etc. However, volume is a pretty good surrogate for the anode/cathode area.

Any thoughts on TSLA getting added to the S&P 500 this year? Their Market Cap is higher than many companies in the index.

The last I checked one of the basic rules for inclusion was 4 consecutive quarters of positive EPS.

Q3 was a stepping stone, but I think Q4 will set us back to start. I expect production disruption in Q2 17 again, who knows maybe we will go back into negative again. Seems like we have a while to go.

• Informative
(This thread definitely go much faster than I can keep up with, sorry if now this post seems OT, it wasn't when I started writing it).

One thing that I realized, after two years of investing in Tesla, is that it's really hard for people to get it.
If they get EVs, they don't get how extraordinary is Elon Musk, his vision, his work ethic, his brain, his "first principle first" approach.
If they get the vision, they don't get economics of scale of batteries.
If they get both, they don't get AP.
If they get everything, they don't get how much and why there is no real competition.
If they get all that, the don't get BEV and Solarcity or the "Alien Dreadnought" or OTA updates.

After hundreds of hours reading this forum and articles and books about Elon, I keep on forgetting little crucial details: why Tesla technology is better, HUD, Panasonic involvement, Silevo tech, AP updates, ridesharing potential, and many other layers and facets.

I've spoken with many many people about Tesla, and many of them knew the auto industry (or engineering, or physics, or trading) much, much better than me. But they really didn't get it, they couldn't grasp the totality of it: both the vision and the details. It took me a lot of work to understand and then believe it.

Understanding Tesla is hard, and this is also why many insiders still don't get it. The market eventually will, and is. And this is why, I think, a factual miss on deliveries was received well. They are starting to understand this is real

It would be a parallel effort in case the pouch technology advanced faster than cells. An insurance policy, if you will. The fact that they did not pursue the pouch cells indicates to me that they consider cylindrical cells to be the superior solution, confirmed by what we know.

Reactions: Gerardf
View attachment 209191
(rough numbers in for Tesla... precision here isn't the point)

This is why I will most likely not change my general short position on TSLA in the near future. When will Tesla Auto ever substantially contribute to the $100B to $1T market cap claims by longs or even the $36B it currently holds? TSLA is currently priced at levels that the company doesn't even have medium term goals for... 1m/yr M3 by 2020 is the last stated goal which doesn't even justify the current position in the list above.

I understand CAGR... but when I look at this... and consider risk of execution combined with how many years out this stock is priced... and in those years the competition will only increase... I just don't get it... Unless everyone expects Tesla to just drop auto and just become Tesla Energy... go ahead and rail me... what am I missing here?

You're simply not looking into the details or the fundamentals. That's all. You're wasting your time looking at top-line and bottom-line numbers without digging into them. That's not analysis, that's sheep-like behavior.

Just *one* of many examples of why this sort of mindlessness is misleading: Most of the other companies in that list will have severely shrinking demand going forward, based on their devotion to the ICE engine. There were (still are) people who looked at coal mining companies and thought the stock looked wonderfully cheap, without thinking seriously about the future of the coal market.

Another example: in any company of this sort it's critically important to look separately at sales revenue, cost of production/delivery, SG&A overhead, R&D, and CapEx. Unless you break them down you don't know what you're looking at. When a "loss" is caused mostly by CapEx and R&D, it becomes critical to understand whether the CapEx and R&D was wisely spent or whether it was wasted.

There are good cases to claim that TSLA is overpriced -- based on bottom-up models. This simply isn't one of them. A good case has to look seriously at the future of the market.

I'm now going to point out that if Tesla produces 1 million/year Model 3, at gross margins of 20%, without needing to make significant additional capital investments beyond those planned this year, and with pretty much the same SG&A costs as they have this year, then the stock is priced quite reasonably. Run a simple model, I'm sure you won't disagree. Now, you may not believe that this scenario is plausible, but you should get my point: you have to look deeper than shallow bottom-line numbers to be doing *analysis*.

Status
Not open for further replies.