Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Elon tweeted about v3 back in December and said something along the lines of 350 kw power being children's toy.

I expect it to be announced in July with the Model 3 and installed starting 4Q17. They don't really need it until 1H18 since that's when the fleet will really start multiplying.
No argument. I simply expect it to be Elon time, and also expect it to be non-retrofittable. Thus I actually expect to see real-world availability sometime in 2019. I hope it happens sooner. I don't think will simply because the engineering, electrical capacity and vehicle preparation will all be substantial installation problems, even if every technical problem has already been solved. This one is not trivial.

Reactions: neroden
Afaik, up to now zero people have died in a burning Tesla. Actually, zero people even got burned. Except for some shorts.
Well, there was this crash in Indianapolis in which both occupants eventually died, which was widely misreported as if the car exploded. It did basically disintegrate, and both occupants died from impact, not fire. So you're 99% right.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Here is Hyundai Ioniq hybrid with 690 miles of range with one fill up.
And 110-120 miles electric range (at best, and like most PHEV's with ICE, in colder weather, 2/3'rds that.
It can charge up to 100kW using CCS, but ?where?

Not quite ?why bother? but close, Full EV training wheels for Dealers full employment of the service and parts department
When ICE gets banned from city centers, more stranded assets

MMD succeeded in steering the better part of this afternoon's discussion toward overblown safety concerns. I took the bait, hook, line, and sinker, and quite a few of you others did too. Let's hope to keep our replies to one or two so that the emphasis of the thread is not hijacked. Personally, I think our close around 308 today is far more valuable to understanding the potential of owning this stock.

Edit: A post such as Fallenone's regarding the China instance is very informative and valuable regardless of the number of other posts.

MMD succeeded in steering the better part of this afternoon's discussion toward overblown safety concerns. I took the bait, hook, line, and sinker, and quite a few of you others did too. Let's hope to keep our replies to one or two so that the emphasis of the thread is not hijacked. Personally, I think our close around 308 today is far more valuable to understanding the potential of owning this stock.
apologies and i will be adding an ignore to pare down responses
again, apologies from "the voting pebble"
(AND WHOOHOO!! wife says we will buy a Tesla in the not too distant future!!! WHOOHOO!!)(if i agree to sell theVolt ++:):) ++)
{what i tell you 3x is true}

Just for reality it might be appropriate to look at the Tesla patent, posted elsewhere on the forum, that shows both a physical underwear charging connection and an undercut cooling connection.

Emphasis added. No wonder the shorts will continue to exist far beyond the production gains of M3.

It may be a hurdle for a while, but I expect that just like more upscale apartment complexes have amenities such as swimming pools, exercise rooms, BBQ grills, and game rooms, that things such as a couple L2 chargers for each building won't be much of a struggle.
Work charging may be an option for some, along with other destination charging.

Of course, eventually you could just have your M3 drive itself to the local SC to charge itself. Probably a couple of years away, but probably so is Tesla catching up with the M3 reservations.

Apartments have been putting in L2 chargers for a while. Just look at the plugshare map and you can see that quite a few of the charger locations are apartment complexes (typically for residents only). My building has 4 and I can say it has been luxurious even though we have like 250 units, and about 8 plug in cars.

Edit: A post such as Fallenone's regarding the China instance is very informative and valuable regardless of the number of other posts.

MMD= Montana Most Doubtful. I said that once before and he coyly liked my comment. I suspect there is a nonzero chance this is right.

Use the ignore feature folks. Half the conversation in here sounds like Garfield minus Garfield, with respected posters responding to an unheard provocation. :p

Yeah, good luck telling them to go wait for 60 mins every 2-3 days to charge up at almost same or higher price than gassing up. Wasn't that the big time saver argument, that people don't need to stop for 3 mins every 2 weeks? Here is Hyundai Ioniq hybrid with 690 miles of range with one fill up. With 1000 mile/month, that's one stop every 3 weeks at any intersection of your choice. 10 year powertrain warranty and lifetime battery warranty are just icing on the cake :)
2017 Ioniq Hybrid | Hyundai USA
Geez, a lifetime warranty on a 1.56 kWh battery. That's certainly a deal closer.

Since you were comparing it to the Model 3 I looked on the Monthly Plug-in Scorecard to see how many they are selling. Then I realized it wasn't even a plug in. Not a lot of cross shopping going on with the Model 3 - but maybe with the Bolt since it is in the same price range as its progenitor Sonic at $22K MSRP.

Also, way to exaggerate the charging time for the Model 3. No need to charge to even 90% if you are doing it every 2-3 days for most drivers. I'm expecting a range of 240 miles with the standard battery. And with the new Superchargers in city centers I'm sure there will be lots of opportunities to eat/shop/do errands nearby.

No argument. I simply expect it to be Elon time, and also expect it to be non-retrofittable. Thus I actually expect to see real-world availability sometime in 2019. I hope it happens sooner. I don't think will simply because the engineering, electrical capacity and vehicle preparation will all be substantial installation problems, even if every technical problem has already been solved. This one is not trivial.

My understanding is that Tesla has gotten better at planning ahead as it has grown as a company. Model 3 roll-out will be the ultimate test of that hypothesis. I am cautiously optimistic, but I also estimate that the SP is pricing in significant (12-18 month) delays, which I believe is unrealistic. This is a primary reason why I expect the SP to move up as Model 3 roll-out progresses in 2H17.

I did a quick estimate of how many charging locations Tesla is adding by going to this page, clicking a country, and finding all "coming soon" chargers.

I found that Tesla is adding 398 charging locations in North America, 155 in Europe, 100 in Asia/Pacific, and 4 in the Middle East for a total of 657 added charging locations. Since Tesla's global total is currently 842, Tesla seems to be planning to have 1,499 supercharger locations by the end of 2017.

California is getting the most superchargers out of any region in this expansion, adding 82 new charging locations on top of the 52 already there. Since California will be adding a total of 1,000 chargers according to the blog posted today, there will be an average of 12 chargers per location while the rest of the world will be between 6 and 8 chargers per location.

Tesla's 790 supercharger location network had a net book value of $207.2 million according to the 10-K for 2016 (that includes accumulated depreciation), so a ~1500 charging location network would probably be worth more than $400 million, putting Tesla even further in the lead as far as charging networks go.

Lets compare Tesla's network to Anton Wahlman's description of Volkswagen's upcoming charging network in this article. Wahlman tells us that Volkswagen will spend $300 million to build 2,500 chargers in 39 states and an additional $200 million for chargers in California, bringing the total to ~4,000 chargers in the US by the end of October 2019. Tesla will likely surpass ~4,000 chargers in the US by the end of October 2017, so they have a two year lead on the closest competition.

I did a quick estimate of how many charging locations Tesla is adding by going to this page, clicking a country, and finding all "coming soon" chargers.

I found that Tesla is adding 398 charging locations in North America, 155 in Europe, 100 in Asia/Pacific, and 4 in the Middle East for a total of 657 added charging locations. Since Tesla's global total is currently 842, Tesla seems to be planning to have 1,499 supercharger locations by the end of 2017.

California is getting the most superchargers out of any region in this expansion, adding 82 new charging locations on top of the 52 already there. Since California will be adding a total of 1,000 chargers according to the blog posted today, there will be an average of 12 chargers per location while the rest of the world will be between 6 and 8 chargers per location.

Tesla's 790 supercharger location network had a net book value of $207.2 million according to the 10-K for 2016 (that includes accumulated depreciation), so a ~1500 charging location network would probably be worth more than $400 million, putting Tesla even further in the lead as far as charging networks go.

Lets compare Tesla's network to Anton Wahlman's description of Volkswagen's upcoming charging network in this article. Wahlman tells us that Volkswagen will spend $300 million to build 2,500 chargers in 39 states and an additional $200 million for chargers in California, bringing the total to ~4,000 chargers in the US by the end of October 2019. Tesla will likely surpass ~4,000 chargers in the US by the end of October 2017, so they have a two year lead on the closest competition.
I think this answers a question I have been asking myself for some time. I wondered if Tesla would switch over to some other, non-proprietary, plug standard? Particularly with VW and others getting into the charging station game. It would be painful to switch over all their chargers, but the longer they wait, the more painful it would become. On the other hand, not switching inconveniences their customers who might want to use those other networks (not too much, given adaptors, but a little bit).

On the gripping hand, if you're prepared to double down on something that's a strategic advantage, and you believe that the competition will continue to be fragmented multiple networks with mutually incompatible costs, subscription requirements, service standards, etc., this is exactly what you'd do: ensure that the Tesla charging network is just plain superior. I'm impressed.

I think this answers a question I have been asking myself for some time. I wondered if Tesla would switch over to some other, non-proprietary, plug standard? Particularly with VW and others getting into the charging station game. It would be painful to switch over all their chargers, but the longer they wait, the more painful it would become. On the other hand, not switching inconveniences their customers who might want to use those other networks (not too much, given adaptors, but a little bit).

On the gripping hand, if you're prepared to double down on something that's a strategic advantage, and you believe that the competition will continue to be fragmented multiple networks with mutually incompatible costs, subscription requirements, service standards, etc., this is exactly what you'd do: ensure that the Tesla charging network is just plain superior. I'm impressed.

I think if Tesla can start rolling out its next-generation Supercharger network in 2H17, other manufacturers may want to sign up on Tesla's network and pay Tesla royalties.

Another option is they may want to team up to match Tesla's network. I don't see each one creating their own networks.

In either case, Tesla has a HUGE lead.

Reactions: Intl Professor

I'd like to be able to "ignore" mmd's posts, but I'm afraid I'll also be ignoring others' responses to his nonsense and miss a key piece info.

Since he's clearly here to distract from the main purpose of the forum, could the moderator please ban him?

If not, can we collectively "ignore" him?

I'm all but convinced that he's the same person as "MontanaSkeptic" on SeekingAlpha, which Elon has also blocked from his twitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.