Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who cares?

Toyota actually did do a good job with the '18 Camry's suspension, but the styling is still awful and overwrought, much like the Prius.
I drove through a Toyota dealership in my Leaf, laughing at the salespeople coming at me directly like the bad guys in the old arcade game Gauntlet.

But I agree, the front of the new Camry looks like it was a Prius. I was driving by, seeing only the fronts of the vehicles, and was thinking, "My, that's a lot of Prius cars!" Nope, Camry...

If I were the Chinese government, I'd do my best to force/convince Tesla to dump Panasonic as their battery production partner for the Chinese market and pick a local partner. Even if that would require the government to create a new co. #trojanhorse
China must tread carefully.

Tesla doesn't *need* China nearly as badly as China needs Tesla.

Tesla can wait until China is willing to play ball on terms favourable to Tesla, as there are many other jurisdictions Tesla could focus expansion in.

China on the other hand is having serious pollution issues and their people are demanding better. If the Chinese lawmakers don't want a revolt of the people, they have to acquiesce to at least some of Tesla's demands.

My guess is that a lot of these "will-produce" cars will never be produced, because price will not be anything close to that of a Model 3, autonomous features will not be anything close to that of a Model 3, range will not be anything close to that of a Model 3, and so on.

Maybe Audi may make a car that looks better, just priced $10k more, goes 50 miles per charge less, and can't drive itself until 2021.

Maybe Audi will sell 10 of these...

20, if they keep aggressively advertising two years in advance by trolling Elon.
Or, maybe (as mentioned by others for years and I don't know who started it), Audi will continue to be the "World Leader in EV press releases".

How does the new 2018 Camry hybrid compare to Model 3 in operating costs? Gas in my area is < $3 a gallon.
With 52 mpg, the Camry fuel cost is ~6cents per mile.
2018 Toyota Camry Hybrid first drive

The logical thing to do would be to ask that question once both vehicles have been on the road for a few years. Then you'd actually have some data with which to compare them.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I hadn't heard that one, but it's a good one! :D:D:D

Mind if I use it in my next article?

Before you ask for royalties: I get like a ~cent a click, so I'll buy you a cold one?
Ha! Use away. But it's not mine, I think I first saw it in a comment on Green Car Reports. I'm still laughing every time Audi advertises something.

• Funny
Reactions: ValueAnalyst
Market share invites antitrust action not market cap.

Apple is 34% US smart phone market share but about half that world wide.

In the 60's when GM crested past 60% US market share Congress started sniffing around.

Then GM began its long decline to below 17% US market share.

Microsoft propped up Apple in the 90s IIRC, some say it's to avoid antitrust suspicion. Maybe Tesla will have to prop up GM someday...

"DOW JONES & COMPANY, INC. 9:17 AM ET 6/22/2017
Humvee maker AM General is selling its light-vehicle assembly plant in Indiana to a China-backed company aiming to make electric cars, an abrupt shift for a factory that once built hulking Hummer H2 SUVs for General Motors Co.

SF Motors, a company backed by Sokon Industry Group and operating out of San Francisco, will acquire the factory and is committing to preserve 430 jobs and invest $30 million in upgrades. Most of the employees working in the AM General facility in South Bend have been building wagons for Daimler AG's Mercedes-Benz and custom vehicles for buyers with special needs, and are largely represented by the United Auto Workers union.

The deal was announced Thursday in a press release, but the terms weren't released. It is expected to close in the fourth quarter, but needs to receive Chinese and U.S. regulatory approvals.

AM General said it will continue to center on its core operation of supplying military vehicles for the defense industry. Those products, including the iconic Humvee, are built near the light-vehicle assembly plant and AM General has typically preserved a strict separation of the two business units.

SF follows Michigan-based Rivian Automotive in buying an old automotive factory with the intention of converting it into an EV factory. Rivian recently built Mitsubishi Motors Corp.'s Normal, Ill., facility that was closed last year.

Write to John D. Stoll at [email protected] "

An ally to persuade the Indiana legislature to allow direct sales my manufacturer?

Status
Not open for further replies.