Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You *are* out of your mind. Here is how competition stacks up: Tesla offers 26% lower price for the battery system that has 22.67% higher power rating, 66.25% higher gravimetric and 174.62% higher volumetric energy density. Having 26% lower price, Tesla offering also includes temperature control allowing installation inside/outside anywhere in the world while MB does not and suitable for indoor installation only.

MB Specs
Tesla Specs

Competition!!! It is not just funny, it is ludicrously so.

View attachment 227386

It is as much competition as Mercedes AA class to Tesla Model S:

how many Powerwall 2's do you own with these cost characteristics? how many do people on this board own?... how many Powerwall 1's do you own?

who's out of their mind?

Anticitizen... please look at the other reply to my post:

"before long they won't be a car company any more. hahaha."

this kind of rhetoric is usually the end point during any valuation discussion.... they'll all be gone and Tesla will have replaced them... "ha ha ha".

yes... this whole thing will be reflected on as a silly joke.
I wrote that because I see no focus from them or BMW. Hell, BMW just had to have a meeting to scare their work force into getting the nerve to compete. Tesla is an energy company from the ground up, these other car makers are not. So Tesla can work on its cars and storage at the same time. Why would another automaker go into storage before creating the next evolution product that holds up their business?? hm.....

Reactions: everman
This is from Tencent ER CC transcript from yesterday:

As it relates to Tesla, I think it's somewhat related to AI, but what we feel is that new automobiles as they become more and more connected with the Internet as well as it becomes smarter in terms of control and autopilot -assisted pilot and over time autopilot, an automobile is becoming a smart device. And there will be much more connection between the physical world and the virtual world.

So that's the reason why we felt we want to partner with the leading company in such fields, right, in order for us to get on with this capability as well as to figure out whether we can learn something new or whether we can actually build some businesses together.

Mercedes-Benz and Vivint Solar partner to compete with Tesla in home energy

man... this is getting humorous to watch... you can compare the numbers and make your declarations that "Tesla IS THE ONLY ONE!"...

but they're not. things missing from the current valuation:

a) competition
b) risk

go ahead and reinforce it with all your "disagrees" and replies that "Mercedez is a dinosaur"... and "there will be no companies other than Tesla in 5 years!"

it's just getting funny at this point.
What competitors do you think are worth investing in as future EV makers, excluding legacy ICE products?

If you're trying to imply that they're not comparable because the Powerwall2 is so far unobtainium, I'm quite sure that you can't actually put your hands on the MB battery either.

Powerwall2 at least has a factory and a battery supply now.

The more and more this stuff goes on, the more convinced I am that the only thing that matters is the gigafactory.

Until someone other than Tesla builds a battery factory at least 30% of the capacity of GF1, Tesla has no competitor in storage or cars.

Just remember, by this time next year, ground will be breaking on 3-4 more GF's with the Tesla name on them. So far crickets from everyone else.

Alright, for all you coders and traders (notice the logic function AND) here's an interesting website I stumbled upon in my reading:

Quantopian

You can make your own algo trading bot!
This is super-cool.

As a career programmer, and novice investor that's had plenty of thoughts about this sort of thing I'm way interested. Thank you for posting this.

I'm definitely going to play around with this when I go home tonight.

Reactions: GoTslaGo
I am concerned about the Guardian article. I Googled some of the key comments and I used quotes to ensure that the exact phrase was matched. There were no other articles found when searching for:
Musk "We’re a money losing company"
Musk "I do believe this market cap is higher than we have any right to deserve"

It seems that these might actually be new comments after all, although possibly taken out of context - i.e. I expect that he would have gone on to justify the valuation in terms of future growth.
LMGTFY

Reactions: Oil4AsphaultOnly
If you're trying to imply that they're not comparable because the Powerwall2 is so far unobtainium, I'm quite sure that you can't actually put your hands on the MB battery either.

Powerwall2 at least has a factory and a battery supply now.

The more and more this stuff goes on, the more convinced I am that the only thing that matters is the gigafactory.

Until someone other than Tesla builds a battery factory at least 30% of the capacity of GF1, Tesla has no competitor in storage or cars.

Just remember, by this time next year, ground will be breaking on 3-4 more GF's with the Tesla name on them. So far crickets from everyone else.

Its not so much the one huge competitor Gigafactory as much as it will be the 100 smaller factories. But I dont think this is necessarily a bad thing. More exposure and acceptance of the battery as a bigger part of peoples lives will lead people to seek out the best of bread. In many cases and solutions that will be Tesla. Im sure there will be some cases where others will compete, but in the biggest markets, Tesla should be able to dominate with fully operational Gigafactorie(s).

Edit: My point is that competition is not a bad thing, its actually good. As long as the competition is not better. The more EV and Storage solutions there are out there the more exposure and accepted the tech will become. As long as Tesla can maintain their edge in terms of technology, be it the actual cells or the manufacturing process.

Its not so much the one huge competitor Gigafactory as much as it will be the 100 smaller factories. But I dont think this is necessarily a bad thing. More exposure and acceptance of the battery as a bigger part of peoples lives will lead people to seek out the best of bread. In many cases and solutions that will be Tesla. Im sure there will be some cases where others will compete, but in the biggest markets, Tesla should be able to dominate with fully operational Gigafactorie(s).
Shall I revise my statement to include the possibility of many smaller factories being built that sum to 30% of GF1 output?

The point is that the existing factories in the world already have their outputs spoken for by compliance cars, laptops, and cell phones.

If you want to access those batteries to compete with Tesla, the price will go up, and you won't be able to compete on price. If you want to compete on price AND features, then you have to build new factories.

Title of this post:
The @AlMc crossover-
the disruption continues into new space
where Tesla is the steak of Ford's sizzle

Ford’s first all-electric vehicle will have ‘over 300 miles of range’, be affordable, and mass-produced, says CTO

"
The only all-electric cars that Ford currently sells are compliance cars built on existing gas-powered platforms. Earlier this year, the automaker announced that its first all-electric car built to be electric from the ground up will come out in 2020.
In an interview with Business Insider this week, the CTO emphasized that the vehicle will be “mainstream”:

“To get electrification volumes where we would all like them to be we have to make sure we make the affordability targets or otherwise they are going to stay as a niche item or a pure luxury item,”

The all-electric crossover utility vehicle (CUV) is expected to be available in 2020. While it is not expected to be the only mass-market all-electric vehicle at that time, several other automakers are still only planning low-volumes for EVs on the same timeline.

Also differentiating itself from other EVs, Nair is promising a longer range than the current competition:

“We think we have a technology path that will get us a 300 plus miles range and an affordable crossover utility that will be fully competitive,”
"

Title of this post:
The @AlMc crossover-
the disruption continues into new space
where Tesla is the steak of Ford's sizzle

Ford’s first all-electric vehicle will have ‘over 300 miles of range’, be affordable, and mass-produced, says CTO

"
The only all-electric cars that Ford currently sells are compliance cars built on existing gas-powered platforms. Earlier this year, the automaker announced that its first all-electric car built to be electric from the ground up will come out in 2020.
In an interview with Business Insider this week, the CTO emphasized that the vehicle will be “mainstream”:

“To get electrification volumes where we would all like them to be we have to make sure we make the affordability targets or otherwise they are going to stay as a niche item or a pure luxury item,”

The all-electric crossover utility vehicle (CUV) is expected to be available in 2020. While it is not expected to be the only mass-market all-electric vehicle at that time, several other automakers are still only planning low-volumes for EVs on the same timeline.

Also differentiating itself from other EVs, Nair is promising a longer range than the current competition:

“We think we have a technology path that will get us a 300 plus miles range and an affordable crossover utility that will be fully competitive,”
"

I am honored. I just wish I had more comment to contribute than 'more steak, less sizzle' ;)

Reactions: TMSE and FluxCap
I am concerned about the Guardian article. I Googled some of the key comments and I used quotes to ensure that the exact phrase was matched. There were no other articles found when searching for:
Musk "We’re a money losing company"
Musk "I do believe this market cap is higher than we have any right to deserve"

It seems that these might actually be new comments after all, although possibly taken out of context - i.e. I expect that he would have gone on to justify the valuation in terms of future growth.

Elon would NEVER, EVER say 'We're a money losing company."

Its not so much the one huge competitor Gigafactory as much as it will be the 100 smaller factories.

In that case we end up having lots of smaller cell phone makers like HTC trying to compete with Apple, somewhere I remember that Apple accounted for >100% of smartphone profit last year, because they other guys all struggle to make any profit.

In that case we end up having lots of smaller cell phone makers like HTC trying to compete with Apple, somewhere I remember that Apple accounted for >100% of smartphone profit last year, because they other guys all struggle to make any profit.

That was precisely my point. The android to iphone comparison. Where the 100 smaller battery factories are making cheap, low margin products and Tesla is making more advance, higher margin products. Solar tiles is a good example of a product that might have much higher margins, even though the market is much smaller then traditional solar. They could have 50% of the profits from solar with only 10% of the market.

Shall I revise my statement to include the possibility of many smaller factories being built that sum to 30% of GF1 output?

The point is that the existing factories in the world already have their outputs spoken for by compliance cars, laptops, and cell phones.

If you want to access those batteries to compete with Tesla, the price will go up, and you won't be able to compete on price. If you want to compete on price AND features, then you have to build new factories.

I think you are overly optimistic to think these 100 companies would be so inept. There will be competition. It will be a good thing as long as Tesla maintains its technical edge. The thought that there will not be competition is silly, it is literally part of the Tesla business plan. Competition will actually help accelerate the adoption of Tesla's products by removing the stigma around explosive batteries that leave you stranded because there is no where to charge and blah blah. Tesla will position itself as the Iphone to Android where Iphone has like 90% of the profits even though it only has 30% market share.

I dont worry about competition because I see it as a positive and I see Tesla doing the things today that it needs to, to be competitive for the long haul.

Reactions: Thumper
Status
Not open for further replies.