Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing special about my config... red, 18", pup, EAP.
Yeah, I've checked MyTesla daily until recently. I'll try and contact the DS again next week. I don't know that my situation is all that unusual. Of course, with Tesla, there's no way of knowing. Just the standard cone of silence before they say, "come get your car" (and bring money!).
At this point, it looks like end of January.

Another data point. People have already found 10ish model 3s on eBay and Craigslist list:

Marked up resale model 3s showing up on eBay

Hard to believe only 1400 model 3s delivered this quarter.

I don't think they need to do anything special for deliveries. California and model 3 is a special case because so many Tesla owners and employees. There are roughly 200 stores in the US and 300 world wide. if each location can average 10 per day (10 x 200 x 5 = 10k/w US and 15k WW) that would be more then Tesla can produce over the next couple of years. My local service center is fairly small and they could deliver 30 cars a day pretty easily. I'm sure they will need this type of delivery center again in LA for the model Y, but don't the rest of the country needs them.

10 per day is more than one transporter can haul. Is this part of the push for the Semi? Or will the trains start rolling out soon? Stay tuned...

What else will be in SG&A growth throughout the next couple of quarters?

Past is prologue

"Selling, general and administrative expense consists primarily of personnel and facilities costs related to our stores, marketing, sales, executive, finance, human resources, information technology and legal organizations, as well as litigation settlements and fees for professional and contract services. Selling, general and administrative expense increased by $316.2 million, or 94%, in the three months ended September 30, 2017 as compared to the three months ended September 30, 2016. This increase was primarily due to a $148.1 million increase in employee and labor-rated expenses from increased headcount as a result of our acquisitions as well as headcount growth from the expansion of our automotive and energy storage businesses. Additionally, the increase was due to a $87.7 million increase in office, information technology and facilities-related expenses to support the growth of our business as well as sales and marketing activities to handle our expanding market presence and a $53.0 million increase in professional and outside service expenses to support the growth of our business."

Also remember from 2q16 Shareholder letter: " Non-GAAP sales, general and administrative expenses reflect careful expense management and would have been flat sequentially, except for a one-time payroll tax expense of $17 million associated with the exercise of CEO stock options that would have expired this year."?

Do we know if the Fremont factory production line (for M3) was closed last week? I have read something that it is a closing every year. But this would be the perfect week to build another 1500 cars and count them in the Q4 press release.
Not closed, overtime. Definitely new shipments from Fremont and rising VIN count. 3500 was assigned and likely up to 3800 assigned. Assigned does not equal built or delivered, but implies entering production. Production likely 2500 to 3500 and deliveries around 2000. I'd have thought 1500, but appears they are pushing cars out of Fremont and marina Del Rey very quickly.

• Helpful
Reactions: Waiting4M3
Not closed, overtime. Definitely new shipments from Fremont and rising VIN count. 3500 was assigned and likely up to 3800 assigned. Assigned does not equal built or delivered, but implies entering production. Production likely 2500 to 3500 and deliveries around 2000. I'd have thought 1500, but appears they are pushing cars out of Fremont and marina Del Rey very quickly.
Great if they still produce this week!
My opinion is that they can even build higher VIN's right now:

- Cars build and waiting on the lot's. When a matching order is found, VIN appears on My Tesla.
- I guess they use VIN's after Dec. 22th. The 2018 range starts with VIN nr. approx. 3800

Yes. And one key ingredient in this is the electric drive train: as long as you have doors big enough, you can easily drive in / out of any building. No need to worry about ventilation, noise, health hazards etc.

Of course there are downsides, too: the facility looks awesome and nice but improvised: you can't let customers drive in there (ref. the truss that hasn't been bolted to the floor). But it scales better and quicker than a regular dealership for sure!
What about charging facility?

I think assigned means that the car's color is known, which means it's at least through BIW and paint shop.

Can you explain why it's just a year? NOLs can be carried forward 20 years. https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1139.pdf
Actually, the Republican tax scam law which just passed, in a somewhat *random* change, allows NOLs to be rolled forward indefinitely. Though you can no longer roll them *back* to prior years (irrelevant to Tesla), and you can no longer use the NOL to wipe out your entire taxable income (so it takes more years to use them up and you do have to pay some tax each year you have profit). Just so y'all know.

Since the tax scam law opens up a *bunch* of new, easy-to-use loopholes, expect Tesla to start using them (it would be stupid not to); so don't be surprised if suddenly all of Tesla's short-term cash and all of Tesla's future borrowings (including refinancings) are done through a "partnership" wholly owned by Tesla, for the purposes of raking off the new pass-through deductions. Just be warned, when you see that weirdness coming up in the 10-Qs, that's what's going on. (Expect the short-sellers to make up bogus arguments about why this is bad news.)

Being a member should not shield one from ridicule when presenting ridiculous viewpoints, bear or bull. I have to say I'm not liking the new direction moderation seems to be taking, or, more to the point, continued travel in the wrong direction. Mods seem intent on protecting a single continuously disruptive individual, to the detriment of the entire forum. I've never seen anything like it in all my years on this or any other message board and it's quite troubling.

Agreed. I'm fine with the open back-and-forth -- I can take it as well as I can dish it out -- but if mods are going to prohibit *making light fun of people for their behavior*, which is new policy, then myusername needs to be banned immediately.

What does Jonas know that we don't for him to remain so bearish on Model 3 ramp up? It was easy to dismiss him 6 months ago as the first car rolled out of the factory on time. But he turned out to be right on the money wrt 2017 deliveries at a measly few thousands tops. Was that a lucky shot or is the information analysts get in private management meetings much more pertinent than what we get through reading the tea leaves on Elon's public statements?

I am also having difficulty reconciling a low 8000 deliveries of the M3 with 'much improved cash burn' in Q1. It will help some, but all else being equal not nearly enough to make a serious dent. Or is not all else equal next year?

Adam Jonas has never been right about *anything*, whether he's bullish or bearish. Like I said last year, he was attributing massive value to Tesla Mobility which is vaporware while attributing zero value to Tesla Energy which actually does generate some money. He's nuts. Ignore him completely. Musk has even gone "Really? That's what you're asking about?" in response to Jonas's bizarre questions in the earnings phone calls -- Musk doesn't take him seriously!

View attachment 267906

An auto company valued at $335B with the financials of Hyundai .
Myusername:

So, I don't agree with TT007's ultrabullishness, but again, I have to point out that existing ICE automakers have *suppressed stock prices*, suppressed P/Es and P/Ses, due to expectations of market shrinkage and lack of growth opportunities. You repeatedly ignore this even though it's actually pretty well understood if you read any articles about the industry.

Your model, thank you, shows that if Tesla successfully executes (as I believe it will), and becomes the size of Hyundai, TSLA is worth more than its current price. So, no downside risk other than failure to execute. But that's if it were priced like an existing ICE automaker, which it won't be.

I estimate that the existing ICE automakers all have P/Es suppressed by about 50% due to their expected shrinkage. So there's a very strong chance of TSLA, which lacks this drag on the stock price, doubling in price from here.

Here's a challenge: look at the Chinese auto manufacturers who are leading manufacturers of electric vehicles instead (yes, even the ones which also make ICE vehicles) -- which do not have the same drag on their ratios -- and use them as a comparison group for P/E and P/S numbers. Try it.

I still disagree with the ultrabullish view, but I'm perfectly content to double my money in five years (with an option on more if the stationary battery or solar roof businesses do better than breakeven) -- it's better than I'm likely to do in the S&P. If you've got a better investment, go for it.

Perhaps. But even if they do re-build it, i will be months away. I wonder how that is working right now?

*Edt. And I do wonder if shipping out finished cars will become a bottleneck. A 2000 car a week un rate for the Model 3 is double the output of the factory. That is a lot of trucks to fill up.
Yep. It's possible...

5000 cars a week is 2 minutes per car. With 8 cars per truck they have to move a truck every 16 minutes. This is certainly possible, and not even out of line for an industrial facility. They'll have some problems with rush hour traffic, though.

10000 cars a week -- a car a minute -- means a truck has to move every 8 minutes. (Both in and out.) At this point the locals are going to get irritated at the level of truck traffic.

This is, of course, assuming that this is the only traffic to the factory. No parts coming in. No workers coming in or out. Since there are parts coming in, you probably have to double or quadruple the truck traffic load -- a truck in or out every 2 minutes -- and there's really no room left on the road for the workers. The locals will be screaming.

Musk has a blind spot when it comes to the economies of scale from railroads. (Perhaps the third largest corporate risk, after the fundamental communications failures and the incredible sloppiness in the software development department?)

Yep. It's possible...

5000 cars a week is 2 minutes per car. With 8 cars per truck they have to move a truck every 16 minutes. This is certainly possible, and not even out of line for an industrial facility. They'll have some problems with rush hour traffic, though.

10000 cars a week -- a car a minute -- means a truck has to move every 8 minutes. (Both in and out.) At this point the locals are going to get irritated at the level of truck traffic.

This is, of course, assuming that this is the only traffic to the factory. No parts coming in. No workers coming in or out. Since there are parts coming in, you probably have to double or quadruple the truck traffic load -- a truck in or out every 2 minutes -- and there's really no room left on the road for the workers. The locals will be screaming.

Musk has a blind spot when it comes to the economies of scale from railroads. (Perhaps the third largest corporate risk, after the fundamental communications failures and the incredible sloppiness in the software development department?)

Great points and appreciate you bringing those up! Wonder whether this is why they're aiming to reach 500k annually as their limit now (a tough task, I'd assume)? Then, parallelize Gigafactories (they've got 3 so far and 1 incoming in China so far) and try to reach the upperband to 1M cars per factory as automation improves.

I wonder if that's the reason for the Boring tunnels and Hyperloop alongside Tesla Semi and AI. All of these inventions seem extra-ordinary when taken out of context, but make sense once we start seeing concrete gains out in the public.

Reactions: neroden
I just watched a video from Yann Lecun and saw some of his published recent work in Facebook (he's the head of AI in Facebook).
Now one of his work allow Facebook to recognize face on pictures even if you're not tagged in them.

Facebook’s facial recognition now finds photos you’re untagged in

Based on this, I wonder why people even worry about if FSD will be able to recognize road signs....

Guys, not only will the cars be able to recognize road signs, they'll be able to recognize face of pedestrians, to the point of knowing their identity.
Sure, in good lighting, and in bad lighting they'll think African Americans are gorillas.

Why Google 'Thought' This Black Woman Was a Gorilla

So-called "deep learning" is actually really dumb, and we aren't anywhere close to having a system with 90% reliability. People may accept a crappy "full self driving" system because so many people are really terrible drivers, and I certainly encourage bad drivers to use these systems, but they won't be as good on weird roads as good drivers for *decades*. I predict we will actually need a third generation of AI -- the second-generation "deep learning" stuff isn't good enough.

On top of that, observational conditions for an automobile are truly HARSH. I still can't get a camera to do the automatic lighting and focus adjustments that my eyes do.

• Disagree
Reactions: ValueAnalyst
Sure, in good lighting, and in bad lighting they'll think African Americans are gorillas.

Why Google 'Thought' This Black Woman Was a Gorilla

So-called "deep learning" is actually really dumb, and we aren't anywhere close to having a system with 90% reliability. People may accept a crappy "full self driving" system because so many people are really terrible drivers, and I certainly encourage bad drivers to use these systems, but they won't be as good on weird roads as good drivers for *decades*. I predict we will actually need a third generation of AI -- the second-generation "deep learning" stuff isn't good enough.

On top of that, observational conditions for an automobile are truly HARSH. I still can't get a camera to do the automatic lighting and focus adjustments that my eyes do.

This was in September 2015 ....

Now in 2017 : Facebook’s facial recognition now finds photos you’re untagged in

• Funny
Reactions: EinSV and neroden
Status
Not open for further replies.