Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 MX Shuts Down dangerously on Expressway–I'm losing faith in Tesla and my car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The thread title accurately states that it shut down on an EXPRESSWAY. In his post the OP identifies by name the EXPRESSWAY. You could even look it up on the google.

It is not his fault that you read "interstate highway" where he didn't write it. Nice deflection and attempt to minimize the danger of being rear-ended at 50mph or so.

This road does not meet the definition of an expressway.

ex·press·way
ikˈspresˌwā/
noun
North American
noun: expressway; plural noun: expressways
  1. a highway designed for fast traffic, with controlled entrance and exit, a dividing strip between the traffic in opposite directions, and typically two or more lanes in each direction.

That particular dictionary's definition notwithstanding, it's not unusual for a higher-speed road (50+ mph) with occasional intersection or traffic lights to be referred to as an expressway. In this particular case the road literally has "expressway" in it's name.

"Major arterial roads will often have partial access control, meaning that side roads will intersect the main road at grade, instead of using interchanges... This type of road is sometimes called an expressway."
Controlled-access highway - Wikipedia

A distressing event, I am sorry you’ve had to go through this.
Tesla Roadside Service told me they would turn off if I rebooted the MCU/IC
Most unfortunate that they gave you the wrong information. I did just test this on my X and rebooting both screens does not turn off the blinkers. It’s possible you could’ve moved into a much safer situation with a reboot had you not been misled.

Last time I was there on the weekend, it's easy to see cars passing us at 70mph on Lawrence. If you follow the "basic" speed limit rule in California and the traffic flow on the fast lane, you can also reach 65mph there. Although cars are getting better acceleration and braking and handling, being stuck at the red light is potentially a hazard if the car behind changes lane the last split second to reveal a dumb center eyed Cyclops. :)

Good luck.

If you're going to complain about reading different words than were written, you shouldn't go do the same thing and add "interstate" to what I said. Are you really going to argue the difference between a highway and an expressway? Come on...
How odd that now you care about such things. Anyway, I used "interstate" because that seemed to be what you meant. If you had truly meant "highway", then you might be surprised to learn that some highways have traffic lights, which would have made your point incoherent on its face.

I was trying to be charitable in thinking you actually meant "interstate", in which case, I concede, you're dishonest, rather than incoherent ("highway").

But I see that other posters have pointed out your semantic self-immolation. So good luck.

• Funny
Reactions: jaguar36
Pushing on the exterior door and pulling the interior door did nothing, and was on the phone with Roadside for an hour until we found a way to forcibly pry the door open so I could get out.

Are you saying all the doors (driver, passenger and the back falcon wing doors) did not open that you were unable to get out for an hour until roadside assistance came to your rescue?

I see that you picked up your X in May 2017 and posted an issue re: AC & Nav just after delivery (second one needed TMC community advice, first-AC fixed by Tesla).

Since you seem to post your issues, can I assume that the vehicle has worked well for over a year since?

I see that you picked up your X in May 2017 and posted an issue re: AC & Nav just after delivery (second one needed TMC community advice, first-AC fixed by Tesla).

Since you seem to post your issues, can I assume that the vehicle has worked well for over a year since?

Yes and no, I've been on and off this forum for some time. Since then I've had minor issues with the window regulator, the driver's side window hitting the B pillar when closing, FWD issues, the captain chairs in the second row buttons weren't working a couple of times, etc. but didn't post about them.

I still want to know how OP was not able to get out of the car for over an hour?

Was just an hour, not over an hour. Just the driver door. Passenger side had my bag and stuff from work, and I could climb over it but would crush my work so I didn't want to. I could've climbed out the driver side window but wanted to stay on the phone with Roadside to trouble shoot because even if I did get out, I wouldn't be able to get back in without climbing through the window. Roadside assistance, to their credit, had me try a variety of things to troubleshoot.

Second row has 2 rear facing baby seats so I couldn't climb out of the back.

I didn't try rear hatch, but looking back, I could've and would've probably the easiest, if I really needed to.

Last time I was there on the weekend, it's easy to see cars passing us at 70mph on Lawrence. If you follow the "basic" speed limit rule in California and the traffic flow on the fast lane, you can also reach 65mph there. Although cars are getting better acceleration and braking and handling, being stuck at the red light is potentially a hazard if the car behind changes lane the last split second to reveal a dumb center eyed Cyclops. :)

Good luck.

Thanks, and yes totally. The cars around me were traveling pretty fast, and people from Silicon Valley who know Lawrence Expressway knows the how fast people drive on it. It is a hazard to be stopped when the light is green which was my main safety concern. Luckily CHP came out to direct traffic around my vehicle.

Reactions: cwerdna
Thanks, and yes totally. The cars around me were traveling pretty fast, and people from Silicon Valley who know Lawrence Expressway knows the how fast people drive on it. It is a hazard to be stopped when the light is green which was my main safety concern. Luckily CHP came out to direct traffic around my vehicle.

Once CHP came out and you felt safe, did you try to reboot per tech support?