Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 New England Super Chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lyndon is also new.
Actually, Lyndon was announced in the last big "Coming soon in 2017" push - I've been trolling the websites for Lyndon, St J, and surrounding towns since then hoping to find some planning board announcement, minutes, etc.

Although it used to say "Coming in 2017" - the change to 2018 is new.:( I guess I'll stop checking the town web sites.

Actually, Lyndon was announced in the last big "Coming soon in 2017" push - I've been trolling the websites for Lyndon, St J, and surrounding towns since then hoping to find some planning board announcement, minutes, etc.

Although it used to say "Coming in 2017" - the change to 2018 is new.:( I guess I'll stop checking the town web sites.

ahhh, I assumed that every "coming in 2018" that I saw today was new. I don't recall seeing that one before.

How are things coming in New England for promised Superchargers vs what is actually being built?

Back in April Tesla announced 19 new Superchargers in Ontario, Canada for 2017, especially around Toronto. A grand total of 0 have been built. Now they have just announced 22 new ones for 2018, but they are losing credibility when they aren't delivering on past promises. And winter is coming before too long so I would think they need to get cracking to get anything done in 2017.

How are things coming in New England for promised Superchargers vs what is actually being built?

Back in April Tesla announced 19 new Superchargers in Ontario, Canada for 2017, especially around Toronto. A grand total of 0 have been built. Now they have just announced 22 new ones for 2018, but they are losing credibility when they aren't delivering on past promises. And winter is coming before too long so I would think they need to get cracking to get anything done in 2017.
In CT 2 of 9 so far. I know MA has at least 1 plus the somewhat unexpected one in Boston, but I guess they listed one in Boston for 2017.

The planned 2017 New England Supercharger construction probably won't be completed by Dec. 31st. That still shouldn't be much of a hassle for getting around most of New England. Other than parts of Maine, the current SC network should be sufficient, while Tesla keeps working towards filling in the gaps.

The Boston Pru Center announcement Monday surprised everyone. Kudos to the employees for guarding the news. Tesla must have determined that the urban charging build-out would be a key component for realizing future sales. If that's the case, I'm okay with missing a few SC timelines. Just about everything Tesla is trying to do is new stuff. When Tesla identifies an issue, it's pretty cool to witness how nimble the company can be.

The planned 2017 New England Supercharger construction probably won't be completed by Dec. 31st. That still shouldn't be much of a hassle for getting around most of New England. Other than parts of Maine, the current SC network should be sufficient, while Tesla keeps working towards filling in the gaps.

The Boston Pru Center announcement Monday surprised everyone. Kudos to the employees for guarding the news. Tesla must have determined that the urban charging build-out would be a key component for realizing future sales. If that's the case, I'm okay with missing a few SC timelines. Just about everything Tesla is trying to do is new stuff. When Tesla identifies an issue, it's pretty cool to witness how nimble the company can be.

I'm being optimistic here and thinking that maybe the decision to expedite city charging (while abandoning "full" supercharger build-outs...Leominster hasn't seen any progress since early July) is a sign that maybe the Model 3 will be on the East Coast in high volumes earlier than expected.

I can dream, right?

More slowly than some other areas (like PA) but moving forwards...
Danbury CT is nearly completion
Milford CT (mall location) recently opened
Boston (obviously)
Leominster MA is under construction

I have to wonder if part of the delay for the Toronto area was waiting for the new Urban Superchargers.

More slowly than some other areas (like PA) but moving forwards...
Danbury CT is nearly completion
Milford CT (mall location) recently opened
Boston (obviously)
Leominster MA is under construction

And I just charged this evening at the recently-opened second Albany-area Supercharger, adding 20 new stalls at Crossgates Mall on top of the 6 at Colonie Center just a few miles away.

Reactions: Pollux

Seems similar to past years, right? It seems fairly common for Tesla to run a year or so behind....

For the first time since I bought my first S in Aug '13, I made a Maryland/Boston round-trip over the past week that didn't involve a single stop at the Darien, CT or Newark, DE Superchargers. When I look at the Nav, I can see so many more charging options than last year, much less compared to '13. Progress is palpable, even when it doesn't match the declared timeline.

Alan

For the first time since I bought my first S in Aug '13, I made a Maryland/Boston round-trip over the past week that didn't involve a single stop at the Darien, CT or Newark, DE Superchargers. When I look at the Nav, I can see so many more charging options than last year, much less compared to '13. Progress is palpable, even when it doesn't match the declared timeline.

Alan

I completely agree, Alan. I've tried almost all the SCs on my monthly or so runs from Boston to NYC for a day or two. But I still most often use the Milford SB and NB service areas, the first ones in the Northeast and the only ones when I got my S in March of 2013. Well positioned in terms of distance, open late, and give me the option of taking I-95 or the Merritt to/from NYC. And despite having only two stalls on each side, I've never had to wait and more often than not I'm the only one charging. I guess that will change next year...

Last edited: