Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 VIN Model X Order and Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does build influence production start?

Nothing matters more than whether you are in the quarter at all, and steilkurve and ryshaw seem to be.

If you are within the same quarter, nothing matters more than whether you are (1) foreign; (2) California; or (3) US but not California.

If you are in the same geographic area (i.e., the same category of (1), (2) or (3)), and steilkurve and ryshaw seem to be, then it is my belief that the build very likely is the next determiner of the order of your production, because I believe that they group battery size and "D" and "P" configurations for the efficiency that comes with repetition.

I base my belief in large measure by being somewhat familiar with production lines of other products, and by watching this thread. I watched my 100D get pushed back while 75Ds of higher VINs and later confirmation dates were built, 90D of higher VINs and later confirmation dates were built, and P100Ds of higher VINs and later confirmation dates were built. (Some of the delays are VERY likely due to concerns regarding EPA approval of the 100D's.) But I think that the progression is discernible based on build.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
If you are within the same quarter, nothing matters more than whether you are (1) foreign; (2) California; or (3) US but not California.

I am in Canada so that is likely reason 1 why ryshaw as a faster delivery in Arizona.

If you are in the same geographic area (i.e., the same category of (1), (2) or (3)), and steilkurve and ryshaw seem to be, then it is my belief that the build very likely is the next determiner of the order of your production, because I believe that they group battery size and "D" and "P" configurations for the efficiency that comes with repetition.

Ok so I got a 100D and ryshaw a 75D. Potentially reason 2 for the difference in delivery dates.

(Some of the delays are VERY likely due to concerns regarding EPA approval of the 100D's.)

Arguably, that will no longer be a factor.

Thanks for the insights. Hoping my date, unlike yours, gets moved up and not out!

Reactions: JHWJR
I was previously told by my DS that my 100D (VIN 45XXX) was going into production on Apr 24, but then last week I learned it is delayed my window in MyTesla changed to "May - Early June".

@FlyF4 correctly called it:
I'm going to be surprised by that, but I have been wrong before. Hope you get it in early May, but I am thinking more like mid to late May. No, I am not going to say why. Best of luck

Seeing as he's located near the gigafactory (Sparks, NV), I wonder what kind of inside information he knows. ;)

If I were to guess (daydream), perhaps they're introducing the 2170 batteries to the 100kWh batteries hence the recent price changes!

Model X P100D
Fully loaded except no charger upgrade
Black exterior
White interior
6 seat configuration
VIN45XXX
Ordered: March 14
Confirmed: March 22
Vin: March 22
From DS on April 10th: Estimated build week April 17th
Build Notification received: April 18, although an email from DS said they already were building it on the 14th.
Email notification of completion: April 20th with an estimate for deliver to Washington state between April 27th and May 9th
Car Delivered to DS: April 22nd
Car is being picked up tomorrow: April 26th.

Estimated delivery range in MyTesla was : Late April - May

That may disrupt the S and X line and delay deliveries.

Glad my Model X is already on its way. I was production-delayed by the EPA mileage rating mishap in Q1.

That said, they had to know this was coming, and the production lines are to coexist, so maybe they set aside space for Model 3 so that Model S and X production won't be disrupted after all. From an investor's perspective, fingers crossed.

I took delivery of my 100D today. It's such a blast to drive, and so far everything is almost flawless.

Delivery: It only took six weeks from order to delivery. The build quality was great - no issues to fix so far.

New things: My X came with matte black seatbacks (which I like a lot), and new-style FWD switches

Driving: The way it drives is really amazing. I'm coming from a Volt, which was previously the sportiest car I've ever had. Acceleration in the X is fantastic, regen is much stronger, ride quality is solid, and road noise low.

Autopilot: It only took 30 miles for autopilot to get calibrated. We used it for about 20 freeway miles on the way back home. TACC was great in heavy traffic. Autosteer was OK - it handled normal curves well, but bailed on a couple of sharper turns and a lane-change that I tried. The nag felt a bit aggressive - I had my hand on the wheel the whole time, but still got a lot of reminders.

Can't wait to do some more driving tomorrow :)

Model X P100D | Midnight Silver | 20" Wheels | Black Interior | Light Headliner | 6-seat | Subzero | EAP | FSD | Subzero | Tow | 72-Amp Charger

I was previously told by my DS that my 100D (VIN 45XXX) was going into production on Apr 24, but then last week I learned it is delayed my window in MyTesla changed to "May - Early June".

Seeing as he's located near the gigafactory (Sparks, NV), I wonder what kind of inside information he knows. ;)

If I were to guess (daydream), perhaps they're introducing the 2170 batteries to the 100kWh batteries hence the recent price changes!

Interesting to note. @Fly called it almost perfectly on my friend's S that she ordered 2 months ago. She picked it up at the plant within 2 days of what he/she said. They may have a line of info up there at the gigajoint.

I'm in the waiting game too, so here we go...

Ordered 4/19
Confirmed 4/26
VIN 4/27 (I think 50XXX if I'm using the right part of the vin)
Window says "Late May - June"
In WA state (as if profile name wasn't a clue!)

Specs:
Model X 100D
All-Wheel Drive
Midnight Silver Metallic Paint
20" Silver Wheels
Multi-Pattern Black
Multi-Pattern Black Seats
Dark Ash Wood Décor
Front Console
Black Headliner
High Amperage Charger
Enhanced Autopilot
Smart Air Suspension
Subzero Weather Package
Six Seat Interior with Center Console
Towing Package

• Love
Reactions: Dutchie
Midnight Silver Metallic Paint

I ordered the Deep Metallic Blue paint. But I haven't seen many Teslas here in Pittsburgh and I don't really know what the various colors look like. (The website does not really do it justice.)

I recently did see a Model S driving around with a very dark-but-not-black shade of paint, and it occurred to me that I had not really seen what the choices are when I ordered the blue. There's some gorgeous "very dark-but-not-black" shades of paint out there. Hope this is one of them. And that it arrives soon for you.

Reactions: Seattle Tom
I took delivery of my 100D today. It's such a blast to drive, and so far everything is almost flawless.

Delivery: It only took six weeks from order to delivery. The build quality was great - no issues to fix so far.

New things: My X came with matte black seatbacks (which I like a lot), and new-style FWD switches

Driving: The way it drives is really amazing. I'm coming from a Volt, which was previously the sportiest car I've ever had. Acceleration in the X is fantastic, regen is much stronger, ride quality is solid, and road noise low.

Autopilot: It only took 30 miles for autopilot to get calibrated. We used it for about 20 freeway miles on the way back home. TACC was great in heavy traffic. Autosteer was OK - it handled normal curves well, but bailed on a couple of sharper turns and a lane-change that I tried. The nag felt a bit aggressive - I had my hand on the wheel the whole time, but still got a lot of reminders.

Can't wait to do some more driving tomorrow :)

Model X P100D | Midnight Silver | 20" Wheels | Black Interior | Light Headliner | 6-seat | Subzero | EAP | FSD | Subzero | Tow | 72-Amp Charger
Can we assume you have Multipattern Black (since you didn't mention PUP/Leather....)? Still trying to see if the leather has changed recently!

The AP nag needs a *little* weight on the wheel so it has a little resistance... I found that it's a matter of experience how much will shut it up. :)

Can we assume you have Multipattern Black (since you didn't mention PUP/Leather....)? Still trying to see if the leather has changed recently!

The AP nag needs a *little* weight on the wheel so it has a little resistance... I found that it's a matter of experience how much will shut it up. :)

Sorry for missing that detail - I've got black leather, but not PUP

VIN is 44xxx

Sorry for missing that detail - I've got black leather, but not PUP

VIN is 44xxx
How is the quality of your seat leather? Some recent cars have had what looked like upgraded leather (thicker/tighter/'better'), and the general idea is: have the seats changed recently. The demo car I had overnight with black leather looked excellent, but we'll have to see if the leather holds up in ones like yours. Thanks for the details, and enjoy!

How is the quality of your seat leather? Some recent cars have had what looked like upgraded leather (thicker/tighter/'better'), and the general idea is: have the seats changed recently. The demo car I had overnight with black leather looked excellent, but we'll have to see if the leather holds up in ones like yours. Thanks for the details, and enjoy!

I think the seat leather quality is OK. I wouldn't say tighter than the showroom X's I've seen, but it doesn't bother me.

Here's a pic

Attachments

• IMG_2679.JPG
    IMG_2679.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 78

@gtmike, you don't have to confirm this, but I'll say your vin's 3rd digit is likely a "4" (454) or possibly a 5 (455). Knowing only your location and no other details about your car, I'd say you go into production around 5/10 (+- few days) if no unforeseen delays. Do you care to give more details about your configuration? I can't comment on your battery change "guess" with regard to price changes ;)