Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018.10.5 Arrived

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unlocking the car/popping the trunk when you walk up to it.

With the card you have to get out the card, tap it on the pillar, open the door, get in, use the touch screen to pop the trunk, get back out, and then put your stuff in the trunk
Once you unlock by tapping the card, you can open the trunk by pressing its release button above the license plate. No need to use the touchscreen.

Last edited:
Something similar happened to me today while on AP, but the car two lanes over to my right moved so that he was now one lane over to my right and just a car length ahead, and AP thought he was going to go into my lane so it slammed on the brakes, probably went from 70 to 50 in a split second.

Felt so bad for the driver behind me.

Happened twice today on the drive home, finally had to shut down AP. Very disturbing.

Hoping they can get this fixed. It managed to stay between the lines fairly well, no ping ponging.

My M3 has the 2018.10.5 update.

Now my 3’s AP drives like MS. However, it did something crazy today. While I was passing an overpass, car slammed on the brake. No cars were in front or next to me. Only thing was the shade created by the overpass. It was a sunny noon. Maybe camera got confused by dark shade area? I also felt bad for the driver behind me. He probably said, what an idiot. Doesn’t even know how to drive.

Noticed this morning that I was used to walking up to the car, unplugging the wall connector, and then getting in. But that sequence will no longer work since I now need to open the door first and then unplug it. Not a huge deal, but a change.
Noticed this too! A quick little push on the handle (not enough to pop it open though) seems to wake up the car and let you unhook it. Kinda strange tho.

A push on the door handle, I assume. That's doable but far from intuitive,lol. I pushed in the handle to pop the door to get the connector out, but if just a "tickle" is enough without popping it, that's easier.
I agree, it's a weird/unnecessary step. Hopefully this gets added to the official documentation for the car. "To disconnect charger, tickle your door handle until the car laughs or turns on." :eek:

I wonder if they'll add an option to not lock the charge connector when in known safe locations, such as locked in your garage.

I think there are tons of location based improvements that can be made.

- Walk up unlock being disabled everywhere isn't my favorite idea, but walk up unlock being disabled in your home bubble seems like a pretty good idea.

- I personally would love to see location based creep mode. It would be nice to have that in the garage to inch forward without accelerator use, and riding the brake, but leave it off elsewhere.

Okay, that's two... I think I had another one the other day, but blanking now.

Now my 3’s AP drives like MS. However, it did something crazy today. While I was passing an overpass, car slammed on the brake. No cars were in front or next to me. Only thing was the shade created by the overpass. It was a sunny noon. Maybe camera got confused by dark shade area? I also felt bad for the driver behind me. He probably said, what an idiot. Doesn’t even know how to drive.

This happens sporadically on my AP2 X as well. My AP1 S did it a while back, but haven't driven it enough on the freeway recently to have observed it.

I just got the car so I never got to use it w/o this weekends update. I noticed that when I was driving and needed to take control by turning the wheel, the car slows, like I have stepped on the brake. I will drive it more, but I expected that when I grab the wheel to change lanes or take an exit the car would continue at speed.

Anyone else see this?

-Randy

I just got the car so I never got to use it w/o this weekends update. I noticed that when I was driving and needed to take control by turning the wheel, the car slows, like I have stepped on the brake. I will drive it more, but I expected that when I grab the wheel to change lanes or take an exit the car would continue at speed.

Anyone else see this?

-Randy

Haven't driven with 10.5 yet, but when I was on 4.17, taking control via the wheel did not disable TACC.

I agree, it's a weird/unnecessary step. Hopefully this gets added to the official documentation for the car. "To disconnect charger, tickle your door handle until the car laughs or turns on." :eek:

Seems like it should be really easy to add the charging connector button push event to be equivalent to a door handle touch. The car knows you push the button when it's locked, they just need to add that to the car unlock event, same as door handles or trunk button, or at least add it to an event that checks the unlock condition(phone key near) and allows release.

Seems like it should be really easy to add the charging connector button push event to be equivalent to a door handle touch. The car knows you push the button when it's locked, they just need to add that to the car unlock event, same as door handles or trunk button, or at least add it to an event that checks the unlock condition(phone key near) and allows release.

great idea

^This.
I was going to write a post about how Tesla seems to usually just do better than the rest (like no "start" button) and is intuitive. This business of having to "tickle" the door handle before removing the charger is NOT that. Your suggestion, though, is exactly that and I hope Tesla makes it so.

I got notification that my car was ready for 10.5 on my app. When I got home to do the update it wasn’t there. I called Tesla, and they said they manually retracted the update. Apparently there are some bugs in 10.5.
Hmmm, interesting. I’m picking up my M3 on Saturday, and asked my ISA to request the delivery center push 10.5 to my car. Now I’m kinda hoping it’s still on 10.1 when I get it. :confused: