Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018.21 0fa48d9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you describe what you mean by jailing for the regular folk amongst us?

I'm unsure of what exactly Tesla is doing here, but you could look into sandboxing as a starting point: Sandbox (computer security) - Wikipedia

Let's say you have a process that's exposed to potential hostile input, such as a web browser that has to interact with the internet at large. You don't want some random web page to be able to own your whole system, so you sandbox the browser which basically restricts how it can interact with the system and limits the scope of potential damage that a site can inflict.

Now imagine all the processes that are running on the car. Tesla doesn't want someone who finds a vulnerability in one small part of the system to be able to get access to the whole system.

Explaining technical details is definitely not something I consider myself to be very proficient at, but hopefully that provides a bit of useful information!

It’s not the big one, more of the same, just showing multiple cars in adjacent lanes... still driving around, but want to properly set expectations. It’s basically a more refined 18.5 with the same NN’s, ho hum...
Would you be willing to do a video to demonstrate how well it is working? We’ve been somewhat curious what influenced Tesla to give up on this for 2018.5.

• Love
Reactions: MelaniainLA
So scuttlebutt is that this release brings back AP1 display parity (cars in adjacent lanes all the time). Not sure what else is in there. Hopefully this feature is finally ready to be given to us plebs.

Not sure I see the point. In AP1 it would show me cars in front of me and cars to the front side right and left, each of which are already in my vision. Other than the "look, it sees the cars" factor, it provides no benefit. In AP2 it clearly sees the other cars, as is demonstrated when you engage the turn signal. Then it shows them all. I have just assumed it was a UI choice and frankly it is less distracting this way. It shows the other cars when maybe I need to see them. When it changes to push my car further forward and shows cars coming up in my blind spot.....then I will care. But I could be missing something. Or not.

Not sure I see the point. In AP1 it would show me cars in front of me and cars to the front side right and left, each of which are already in my vision. Other than the "look, it sees the cars" factor, it provides no benefit. In AP2 it clearly sees the other cars, as is demonstrated when you engage the turn signal. Then it shows them all. I have just assumed it was a UI choice and frankly it is less distracting this way. It shows the other cars when maybe I need to see them. When it changes to push my car further forward and shows cars coming up in my blind spot.....then I will care. But I could be missing something. Or not.

I think it would be better if they moved up your car in the display to make room to show adjacent cars that are slightly behind you, in your blindspots (rear left and rear right). That way you could look at your display to see cars in your blindspots.

From my perspective seeing cars in the adjacent lanes increases confidence when switching lanes. One small step forwards towards where we need to be....

Reactions: Doctt
Here's what I found on the Internet

giphy.gif

That is actually pretty cool and even if they don’t move the car up in the display, it seems that they would still be able to display an adjacent car in your blind spot. Would love to see a demo of a car coming up from behind in the adjacent lane to see at what point it appears in th display.

Reactions: JohnnyG
I think it would be better if they moved up your car in the display to make room to show adjacent cars that are slightly behind you, in your blindspots (rear left and rear right). That way you could look at your display to see cars in your blindspots.
Most blind spot monitors are in the mirror. Since that’s hardware and Tesla’s can’t do that. Something as simple as making the drivers display flash red when you flick the turn indicator if there is a car in your blind spot will be infinitely better then the proximity warning you see now in the display, while they work on a more comprehensive and cool solution like showing you the position of the cars in adjacent lanes.

Someone happened to ask me today if the car had blind spot detection like in the side mirrors or something.

I said..nope! Shocking for a $75K+ car isn’t it?

Hopefully we get it soon!
It actually does have blind spot detection and different CAN messages when there is a vehicle is in the blind spot, but it doesn't provide warning to a driver. I think they want to make it camera base.

Occasionally you get the shocking, Holy Crap Barbie, they cut Ken's penis off!

That's just. not. right.

Accurate, perhaps.

With no appreciable difference in the vaunted *.20*, onward we go evidently one incremental release at a time.

I figure we're just marking time until the new SoC/board is ready before we see the first FSD feature (which hopefully will be stop sign *reaction* - not to be confused with mere plebeian *recognition* - both of which were referenced in those halcyon days of yore (during the October 2014 AP1 & AWD event)).

Last edited:
Reactions: Pentium2004
It's about confidence the system actually is aware enough to provide safety. AP1 is better aware than AP2 is now and it shows.

If you are in autopilot in AP2 and try to change lanes, the cars around you light up. AP2 absolutely know that cars are around you. I’m not sure I follow your point. As of now, just showing cars ahead of you directly and to the sides is not useful. In what way is AP1 more aware? I have not had an instance where AP2 tried to move me into an adjacent lane while it was occupied. To the contrary, it has aborted lane changes when someone unexpectedly moves into an adjacent lane within its safety cushion.

Reactions: Cooker
IMO AP1 showing cars to the side was really a false sense of security.... I’ve had many AP1 situations where another car or truck went briefly in my lane and the AP1 display falsely still claimed the offending car was within its lanes.

It was cool eye candy to see but I didn’t actually think AP1 acted on the information its peripheral vision provided.