Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.20.4.1 - Beach Buggy Racing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious if the night-time auto display brightness bug introduced in 20.2.1 gets fixed in this version?

Something that I think a lot of people are missing with this feature update. By default the nighttime display is 15%. But you will note in the release notes the that it states (and I tested this) that you can adjust the brightness while on auto brightness and it will not switch to manual. Basically this lets you tune how bright you want the scree to be at any light level and your car will remember this. The only way Auto brightness is turned off is if you touch the "Auto" button.

The result is we now have WAY more control over screen brightness.

Something that I think a lot of people are missing with this feature update. By default the nighttime display is 15%. But you will note in the release notes the that it states (and I tested this) that you can adjust the brightness while on auto brightness and it will not switch to manual. Basically this lets you tune how bright you want the scree to be at any light level and your car will remember this. The only way Auto brightness is turned off is if you touch the "Auto" button.

The result is we now have WAY more control over screen brightness.

It is in the release notes for 20.4 that they have corrected the default night brightness setting.

For those who are gaming nerds, I played a few rounds of Beach Buggy Racing 2.

1.) It's a pretty awful Mario Kart clone. It's not that fun, and the ONLY novel aspect is playing with the steering wheel and pedal (singular). You don't accelerate. It's auto-accelerate and you can press the brake.
2.) There's no force feedback from the wheel, which is sort of interesting since this is clearly possible. Maybe to conserve the motors it's not enabled.
3.) The frame-rate is pretty pants. Running somewhere between 40-60fps at all times, it's not exactly smooth. There's a clear 60fps target here, but it's not met consistently at all.

Rating - 3/10 for the game. 10/10 for novelty factor.

For those who are gaming nerds, I played a few rounds of Beach Buggy Racing 2.

1.) It's a pretty awful Mario Kart clone. It's not that fun, and the ONLY novel aspect is playing with the steering wheel and pedal (singular). You don't accelerate. It's auto-accelerate and you can press the brake.
2.) There's no force feedback from the wheel, which is sort of interesting since this is clearly possible. Maybe to conserve the motors it's not enabled.
3.) The frame-rate is pretty pants. Running somewhere between 40-60fps at all times, it's not exactly smooth. There's a clear 60fps target here, but it's not met consistently at all.

Rating - 3/10 for the game. 10/10 for novelty factor.

I disagree. Mario Cart was one of my absolute favorite games as a child and this emulates it perfectly.

Would I rather have Mario Cart? Well yeah, but this is a great substitution.

I disagree. Mario Cart was one of my absolute favorite games as a child and this emulates it perfectly.

Would I rather have Mario Cart? Well yeah, but this is a great substitution.

No, it's really, REALLY not a great substitution. I'm a masssssssive Mario Kart fan. I grew up with the SNES version, played every subsequent version etc etc.

I hope some of the major publications do a review of it, because it's really pretty crappy. If this were not in the car, I wouldn't go near it.

I kinda wonder why Tesla is even doing these arcade games at all. Is it just a marketing gimmick to sale cars? Providing owners something to help pass the time during supercharging? Something else? All of the above? I ask because a couple classic arcade games was one thing but it seems like Tesla is really making a big deal about it.

I kinda wonder why Tesla is even doing these arcade games at all. Is it just a marketing gimmick to sale cars? Providing owners something to help pass the time during supercharging? Something else? All of the above? I ask because a couple classic arcade games was one thing but it seems like Tesla is really making a big deal about it.
Same reason they added fart noises - it gets people talking about them and hooks the next generation of Tesla owners. My 8 year old already has a Tesla fund.

You wonder why? Really...

Why do they have games on your smart phone, or computer, etc.
Same reason here, only it’s the first time it’s been done in a car.
Yikes.

It seems that the icon list is now displayed horizontally?

2019.20.4.1 .jpg

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset