Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.24.1 supports CHAdeMO, and CHAdeMO vs CCS adaptor size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The handle doesn't make it "look" bigger, it makes it bigger. And the body itself is almost always thicker as well, which is simply a result of the round design. I'm sure you can find some CCS plug that has a bigger casing than the smallest Chademo plugs along some dimension, but that doesn't change that just about every Chademo plug you encounter in the real world is a big and heavy beast, handle or not.

Neither CCS nor CHAdeMO are nearly as elegant as the Tesla connector, but surely, we can ALL agree that all 3 are night and day better than this!

handle.jpg

ROFL. You guys are hilarious. I know that the Chademo adapter is helpful for some people, but how can anyone look at it and say with a straight face that its usability is the same as the compact CCS adapter's? Take a look at this video starting at 2:45:

The handle doesn't make it "look" bigger, it makes it bigger. And the body itself is almost always thicker as well, which is simply a result of the round design. I'm sure you can find some CCS plug that has a bigger casing than the smallest Chademo plugs along some dimension, but that doesn't change that just about every Chademo plug you encounter in the real world is a big and heavy beast, handle or not.

View attachment 428229

You are purposely being obtuse. We're talking about the chademo and CCS connector by themselves, NOT including any adapters. Of course the Tesla Chademo adapter is huge, we don't dispute that. We also agree that a future CCS adapter would be much more compact.

Chademo plugs are much larger than CCS plugs.
Why does it matter if it latches or not? The same is true for J1772 and Mennekes, but that hasn't kept Tesla from making an L2 adapter.

This quote and everything that followed is why everyone is arguing with you. You posting out of context pictures of the entire electrify America stations doesn't help as well

Most of the Chademo chargers in my area are CCS was well, and that looks like a much simpler adapter. I'll wait for that one to arrive rather than the humongous Chademo.

Hilarious.

Tesla already had the design and the ChaDemo adapter in production, for earlier need for it on Model S and X, and it has still taken them 18 months to make it work on the Model 3 (North America).
If you are one of the few people who need this (and some people really need it), then get it.

You are purposely being obtuse. We're talking about the chademo and CCS connector by themselves, NOT including any adapters.
"We"? Pluralis maiestatis?
Of course the Tesla Chademo adapter is huge, we don't dispute that. We also agree that a future CCS adapter would be much more compact.
Well, maybe you should read from the start, Mr. Johnny-come-lately. That was actually disputed.
This quote and everything that followed is why everyone is arguing with you. You posting out of context pictures of the entire electrify America stations doesn't help as well
Who's arguing? I'm seeing a fun exchange. :p

So, at a charging station like the one in this photo, can two cars charge at once? Or is it just a choice of connector for one car at a time?
That's an Electrify America charger. Only one true charging AC->DC conversion hardware inside, room for one car to park, you pick which cable you use based on what fits into your car. :)

My understanding is that Electrify Canada stations will be the same design. A lot of CCS/Chademo dual support locations are like this, but not all of them. Electrify America stands out in that even when they have multiple chargers, to support multiple cars, only one at the location has a Chademo cable. The other cabinets will have two CCS cables (one longer than the other).

• Informative
Reactions: CharleyBC
So, at a charging station like the one in this photo, can two cars charge at once? Or is it just a choice of connector for one car at a time?
Only one cable can be used at a time. This is true even for EA's dual-headed CCS-only chargers. The reason is explained here.

The truly plural "we" that are laughing at you pretending I don't exist after I shut you down hard. :p
Dude, you were dead in the water after post #4. :D

"We"? Pluralis maiestatis?
Well, maybe you should read from the start, Mr. Johnny-come-lately. That was actually disputed.
Who's arguing? I'm seeing a fun exchange. :p

Chademo plugs are much larger than CCS plugs.
Why does it matter if it latches or not? The same is true for J1772 and Mennekes, but that hasn't kept Tesla from making an L2 adapter.

Emphasis added. You said it, then started posting pictures of the EA stations themselves and the chademo connector with the adapter instead of clarifying your position, that the Chademo adapter is larger than the CCS adapter.. At best you are being misleading.

Adapter != Plug

Reactions: SammichLover
Most of the Chademo chargers in my area are CCS was well, and that looks like a much simpler adapter. I'll wait for that one to arrive rather than the humongous Chademo.

@SammichLover, here is where you went off-topic reply to above post talking about the wait for a future possible simpler Tesla adapter, instead of the current humongous CHAdeMO adapter.

o_O

I can understand a focus on the faster speeds the new CCS chargers will support but I'm not sure what Type 1 cables that you've been looking at to come to the above conclusion?

Why did you ask about cables? Post was about the adapters.

• Disagree
Reactions: EfficientWatts
Emphasis added. You said it, then started posting pictures of the EA stations themselves and the chademo connector with the adapter instead of clarifying your position, that the Chademo adapter is larger than the CCS adapter.. At best you are being misleading.

Adapter != Plug

See post above. The post that was first replied to was talking about the adapter..

• Disagree
That's an assumption. :p

Type 2 and Type 1 have some important structural differences in how they physically connect.

Although I was talking about the connectors themselves, not the adaptor to the Model 3
. The Chademo's design might have been made more compact, and its current physical form is just a vestigial thing. Is it the same part as the Model S and X use, it sure looks like it is the same part. It is possible that the adaptor can be made smaller, and Tesla won't bother to for Chademo because that'd be extra engineering and manufacturing work.

You shouldn’t have been talking about that, because the post you replied to was talking about Tesla adapters.

• Disagree
You shouldn’t have been talking about that, because the post you replied to was talking about Tesla adapters.
One is an extension, you dig out of your trunk, to a monster that you then plug a native Tesla cord into your car. The other, assuming it ever gets built, might be a large chunk of resin, you dig out of your trunk, you stick into the side of your car that you need to mate a monster to (no small task, if you’ve used one in sub-optimal conditions).

If you’re quibbling about awkwardness between these, and $200 vs $450, as a reason to wait then you almost certainly don’t need either.

Keeping in mind these assumptions about what a Type 1 might look like rely extrapolation from Europe that has different electrical gear & ports on the car, difference in Type 1 v Type 2 cables, and a good number of Teslas that needed an extra $350 of alterations. Top that off with a whole lot less reason to expect widespread use/demand for the Type 1 in NA?

I'm feeling pretty good about calling BS on it.

One is an extension, you dig out of your trunk, to a monster that you then plug a native Tesla cord into your car. The other, assuming it ever gets built, might be a large chunk of resin, you dig out of your trunk, you stick into the side of your car that you need to mate a monster to (no small task, if you’ve used one in sub-optimal conditions).

If you’re quibbling about awkwardness between these, and $200 vs $450, as a reason to wait then you almost certainly don’t need either.

Keeping in mind these assumptions about what a Type 1 might look like rely extrapolation from Europe that has different electrical gear & ports on the car, difference in Type 1 v Type 2 cables, and a good number of Teslas that needed an extra $350 of alterations. Top that off with a whole lot less reason to expect widespread use/demand for the Type 1 in NA?

I'm feeling pretty good about calling BS on it.

“Extension” is not the same thing as “adapter”. See “extension cord”. These are “adapters” we are talking about.

The Tesla “CHAdeMO Adapter” (as listed on the website: CHAdeMO Adapter) certainly won’t fit in the glovebox and would likely be in the trunk or back seat.

1036392-10-C_0.jpg

The Tesla “SAE J1772 Charging Adapter” is smaller, cheaper, and does fit in my glovebox:
1067348-00-A_0.jpg

The European Tesla CCS Combo 2 adapter is 170€ ($191 USD today) and is about double the size of the one above, easily fitting in the glove box.
2-tgctluK.jpg

We can settle this definitively once a North American CCS adapter is made and sold, but I think odds on it being cheaper and smaller than the CHAdeMO adapter are high.

Odds on it being more useful are also very high due to growth of CCS charger locations/stalls vs CHAdeMO in NA.

See post above. The post that was first replied to was talking about the adapter..

No, because I was specifically responding to @Eno Deb assertion that the chademo connector is larger than the CCS connector. I'm very aware that the context on this post is about the adapter (see my other posts), but I was specifically responding to this.

the Chaoji (900KW) connectors coming next year (which are backward compatible to Chademo) are a bit more elegant then the gen 1 connectors.

Any word on the the release date for the reverse connectors (Chademo to Tesla) for Nissan and Mitsubishi's entry into the walled garden?

No, because I was specifically responding to @Eno Deb assertion that the chademo connector is larger than the CCS connector. I'm very aware that the context on this post is about the adapter (see my other posts), but I was specifically responding to this.

That whole sidebar is because the topic got derailed by post #3. LOL.

Post 4 brought it back to adapters with the pic by @Eno Deb snd then post 5 @SammichLover brings it back off-topic to connectors again. This whole back and forth should have been over before it started.