Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m disappointed. Not enough people are posting:

-I’m waiting for the update
-Here’s the version I’m on now
-can someone (re)post release notes
-will this give FSD to pre-AP or AP1 cars?
-I’m downloading it now!
-Downloaded but can’t drive yet - will post thoughts tomorrow
-Downloaded, drove it, announced features are present (and here are my release notes).

There are hundreds of thousands of Tesla vehicles out there and we only see a few posts. C’mon guys!

My impressions: Lane changes are definitely more assertive now, but there's still a pause of a couple seconds and about 4-5 blinks before it starts the maneuver. Once it starts it's much quicker and more decisive than before, and merges into much tighter quarters. I haven't had an aborted lane change in my drive this morning (and there's moderate traffic and one instance that I'm sure would have aborted before due to a car merging in from the other side a few car lengths behind).

I think the 4-5 blinks is probably good because you still want to give other cars enough advance notification that you are planning to change lanes. But the more assertive lane change is good news. Sounds like auto lane changes are able to handle decent amount of traffic now which it could not handle before. So I see this is a positive improvement, especially since auto lane changes in moderate to heavy traffic is an important of city driving. I see assertive auto lane changes as an important prerequisite for "automatic city driving".

And although the release notes imply it's just the NoA initiated changes that are affected, the manual ones are amazing now. As soon as you tap the stalk it blinks and moves immediately. Not sure if thead Max setting affects that too, or just how jumpy NoA is at deciding to pass someone as the wording suggests. I did turn it up a notch to Mad Max just this morning to test.

On 2019.36, I've noticed that auto lane changes initiated by the driver tapping the stalk are already pretty quick. And when I have my hands on the wheel correctly, NOA auto lane changes with no confirmation are pretty quick too. The only times where NOA auto lane changes with no confirmation are slower are when NOA prompts me to tug the wheel to confirm my hands are on the wheel. That nag confirmation adds an extra delay that is not normally there. So I look forward to seeing how "40" makes auto lane changes even quicker.

The only new thing I see (non-raven 2019 MS) is lane departure improvement for which I believe you need to use the Mad Max setting. I always use this setting and after the update it had been de-selected.
IMG_0133.jpeg

I got 36.2.3 a few days ago and 40.1.1 today. The lane changes are much more assertive. Still around 4 blinks before initiating on NoA, and an extra maybe 2 blinks before it starts moving, but after that it’s pretty much in the next lane all under 8-9 blinks.

I switched to mad max mode to try out that experience again, but as far as I can tell there isn’t much difference in terms of the actual lane change performance. Need to drive longer to figure out.

Changing lanes with the turn indicator stalk happens immediately after you pull the stalk (assuming the lane is clear) where previously the blinker had time to flash once or twice before starting to move over.

I like the improvements; I bet city NoA isn’t too far away. The new style of lane changes should work a lot better around town.

Another thing I noticed that I like less, the car seems to start a bit too aggressively from a stop - if the lead car is going slower than your set speed, there can be some ping-ponging as your car speeds up and slows down to maintain the same distance. Feels less smooth. Same with general lane centering, it felt a little less sure. I’ve had similar behavior improve over time in previous versions, maybe this will do the same..

Also it seems like reverse cam quality is different at night, it’s better particularly if there’s a car really close behind you with headlights on - the whole image doesn’t darken like I remember before.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Tap advance update 5 times to download the update. Has worked the last two releases to force update. Apparently SC uses this method to force updates. I got the update two days ago. Can’t confirm any NoA lane changes improvements yet as I a trailer full time being towed with the Model X July 2019 build Raven P100D
Urban/Cyber Legend. Has been debunked Coincidence, but if you think it works for you go to it.