Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good point. Was thinking more along the lines of an 80% max on V3, then move car over to a V2 charger (assuming there is one). But hopefully there will be enough V3 chargers it won’t matter.

The statement was "High-usage Supercharger station," not high-power/voltage. It looks like the limit is for turnover of the station and not for technical reasons. My guess is this will only apply to locations by urban areas that often have lines for people charging. I wouldn't be surprised if this change also gets pushed to existing V2 sites (seems better and more affective than the "40 minute limit" signs they currently use).

I doubt Tesla will be installing V2 chargers to new V3 sites.

The statement was "High-usage Supercharger station," not high-power/voltage. It looks like the limit is for turnover of the station and not for technical reasons. My guess is this will only apply to locations by urban areas that often have lines for people charging. I wouldn't be surprised if this change also gets pushed to existing V2 sites (seems better and more affective than the "40 minute limit" signs they currently use).
I suspect the limit is enforced solely by the car firmware (based on the known occupancy of the station, which can also be seen on the in-car map). If that's the case, it wouldn't require any change in the existing chargers and could be effective anywhere after a firmware update ...

Last edited:
Not sure, but that would explain the lack of the feature.

Yeah I'm fairly sure it's not transmitting when not hitting a button (hence the 5 year battery life instead of the 1-2 year life folks with passive entry remotes usually get)

It's part of why the 3 fob is such a terrible product- it fails to solve the single biggest thing people didn't like about the key card (having to actually take it out of your pocket/interact with it to use it)

Not too concerned about V3 charging, but I've just added the key fob to my birthday list :D

They've done half the things necessary to make me buy one. If they can make it work for passive lock/unlock, I'm in. Not before.

The damnable thing is that this proves that Summon should be able to operate locally via the mobile app, but they insist on doing it over the damned internet for god knows what reason.

They've done half the things necessary to make me buy one. If they can make it work for passive lock/unlock, I'm in. Not before.

The damnable thing is that this proves that Summon should be able to operate locally via the mobile app, but they insist on doing it over the damned internet for god knows what reason.
According to articles that came out last September, it doesn't have passive entry intentionally. Most thought that they decided not to offer it since there were problems with people intercepting the Model S key fob signal.

According to articles that came out last September, it doesn't have passive entry intentionally. Most thought that they decided not to offer it since there were problems with people intercepting the Model S key fob signal.

The S uses (or used to use anyway) a different technology stack for the fob, though. BLE intercept is possible but a hell of a lot more complicated. Moreover if you can intercept the fob as key, you could intercept the phone as key, so I don't know what they're really preventing.

I'm not gonna pay $150 for a fob that I have to press buttons on like it's the early 2000s.

I'm not gonna pay $150 for a fob that I have to press buttons on like it's the early 2000s.
Brenda, Brenda, Brenda. . . Next you're going to ask for an implantable RFID chip that will operate your car. You could insert it into your favorite bodily appendage and then either wave it across the B pillar or stand next to the car to unlock it: abracadabra! :D

I hear you about the cost of the fob. I had a hard time justifying the expense at first but my phone-as-key wasn't working 100% so I bought one. Plus it was getting close to rainy season and i didn't want to get stuck standing outside my car fumbling with my phone and keycard.

The Tesla Model 3 fob IS like early 2000's technology as it functions similarly to my E46 BMW fob, but it has a single button to lock/unlock instead of separate buttons. I like the feedback the car provides by blinking/honking when locking or unlocking with the fob. Yes, it should have been designed with passive entry but it works for me. Maybe I'm one member of the low expectation crowd....

Reactions: run-the-joules