Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.8.3 First release of traffic light detection?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Theres allot more at play here. Vehicles are allot smarter than everyone thinks. Dont know it this applies to this situation but some vehicles monitor eye movement and knows when your eyes leave the road. It detects if you are paying attention. Toyota first came out with this software years ago. This is also why allot of vehicles with auto braking dont always bake automatically. An ideal test would be at a controlled intersection with autopilot enabled with the driver looking away while someone safely controls the intersection. IE crossgaurd.

That's not applicable to this situation or Tesla at all.

Tesla doesn't currently use any form of driving monitoring.

It's also not applicable to auto braking as this is a passive feature, and is only intended to warn.

I got the new update last night - 8.3 - and the pop up showed that the Red Light warning was installed. I have the "new" AutoPilot, which was made available a few weeks ago at a discounted rate to existing owners. I don't have EAP, just the new AP, and the Red Light Warning seems to be part of my new Version 2019.8.3 despite not having the EAP functionality.

But why would the release notes say you have the feature if you lack the hardware?

That was my initial assumption as well. That they wouldn't have said that unless it worked on HW2/HW2.5.

But, I'm thinking they messed up.

Or maybe it's waiting for some kind of navigation update.

In any case I think Tesla should have some kind of blog post so someone doesn't get into an accident trying to demonstrate a feature that doesn't seem to be working yet.

Reactions: diplomat33
Is it possible that the feature is working but it is set to go off too late?

The person who created the video was braking WAY late.

If I implemented the feature I'd put the warning at just after the time where AP would normally start to brake (like if it was stopped car at the intersection).

I'd also probably implement a UI indicator for stop lights. So in addition the cars there was a light indicator. The light indicator wouldn't care if you were braking or not braking.

Reactions: diplomat33
Not to get off topic, but Tesla definitely should add drowsiness detection. It's a great safety factor falling asleep at the wheel is a major cause of accidents and if combined it with some form of protective, safety AP, Tesla could get a great marketing buzz.

Videos of sleeping drivers would no longer be a problem.

Reactions: steve in socal
They do monitor the drivers by forcing them to steer (NAG). I think this is more reliable than the camera, definitely more inconvenient.

The torque sensor doesn't force a person to steer.

All a person has to do is apply torque to the steering.

I can hold the steering wheel, and simply look out the window.

So that's why I say it has no driver monitoring.

There are plenty of videos of people sleeping in the drivers seat of a Tesla because the torque sensor is a terrible way of driver monitoring.

I guess I was wrong in that they have driver monitoring, but it's like being given a glass of water that has a drop of water. Sure there is a drop, but does that really count?

The torque sensor doesn't force a person to steer.

All a person has to do is apply torque to the steering.

I can hold the steering wheel, and simply look out the window.

So that's why I say it has no driver monitoring.

There are plenty of videos of people sleeping in the drivers seat of a Tesla because the torque sensor is a terrible way of driver monitoring.

I guess I was wrong in that they have driver monitoring, but it's like being given a glass of water that has a drop of water. Sure there is a drop, but does that really count?

You weren't wrong. Nagging is not a form of monitoring. Tesla has no idea what I'm doing, they just know I'm not holding the wheel. Tesla is promoting, not monitoring.

So strange to see it basically not working at all in your video and see it at least working somewhat in this video:

Edit: This source post on Reddit has some helpful video time references:
Red light detection is there. And stopping! : teslamotors

This video is not a public release nor is it an early access release. This was cited to be from a owner who rooted his car to enable this stop light detection and responses. This is completely different from what Tesla has currently released

This video is not a public release nor is it an early access release. This was cited to be from a owner who rooted his car to enable this stop light detection and responses. This is completely different from what Tesla has currently released
Reading the Youtube publisher's comments; It is exactly the 8.3 that Tesla shipped OTA but Tesla hasn't enabled the software toggle for the FSB feature for anyone in the public because it needs more time baking in the oven.

Reactions: PaulJohn
The traffic light warning actually works in the public 2019.8.3. I got it today while driving on EAP on an expressway. It just shows the "red hands of death" when you are approaching the red light. Interestingly it didn't work in a very similar situation two days ago. Perhaps it takes a little time to calibrate, or it's activated separately after the firmware update.

• Informative
Reactions: GolanB and T-Will
So, has anyone been able to see the red-light warning at least once?
If so, what level of Autopilot are you on? “Basic”, EAP, or FSD?
Do we have a single confirmation that it works with “basic” Autopilot?

The traffic light warning actually works in the public 2019.8.3. I got it today while driving on EAP on an expressway. It just shows the "red hands of death" when you are approaching the red light. Interestingly it didn't work in a very similar situation two days ago. Perhaps it takes a little time to calibrate, or it's activated separately after the firmware update.

I’ve tested this today on about 10 or so free and clear intersections. It does not always warn you, and when it does it’s often too late. I found myself slamming the brakes just as the red hand warning came up. It certainly does need additional calibration. Since we have no other method of generating feedback on the console, it’s difficult to know how often it’s interpreting the data properly. From the single reddit user video posting on YouTube who rooted their Tesla and enabled the automation and display features it’s pretty clear it has a ways to go. Here in NYC, I often find myself behind trucks with visibility to the traffic lights blocked. It’s happened to me on more than one occasion that I found myself crossing an intersection during a red light because I could not see the signal. In one notorious section of Brooklyn, cops were pulling over dozens of motorists because signs were not clearly visible. We’re going to have the same issue in certain corner cases even if Tesla gets signage and traffic signal detection right. It may choose not to enter the intersection if it knows a traffic signal is present but it can’t get visibility or line of site is obstructed. I now slow down and come to a stop if I’m unsure of the status of the traffic light. Sometimes I can peer around and see the duration counter on the Walk Signs to get a better handle on how long I have to cross over the intersection. It’s not my sense that Tesla would ever do that, and there is no guarantee that these these will always be synchronized.

Reactions: SammichLover