Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 IRS Form 8936

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are due $3750, and Turbotax is showing $1875, it is due to you entering $3750 in the box. You instead need to enter $7500. Turbotax now automatically calculates the correct amount based on the purchase date you entered.

It does not appear that the home charger installation form is working yet as my calculated credit is $0 and when I PDF my return the 8911 tax form is not even included.

One thing about 8911 is your 8936 credit can cause you lose your 8911 credit because it makes you calculate your AMT and can reduce your 8911 even if you don't owe AMT. One other user on the TT forum though said TT was using the full $7,500 on the AMT calculation and not the reduced $3,750 which could make a difference.

Reactions: dc121gw
Ugh, SUCH a *sugar* show. 8911 is showing up now so that's good, but I had to go back and change my Tesla credit to $7,500 so it would calculate the correct $1,875 amount. I didn't have to do that before... so something changed on that calculation. I'm submitting them now. I've honestly filled them out, if I get audited or something so be it, I'm not cheating at all.

Edit: "Our calculations are 100% accurate."

• Informative
Reactions: SlimJim
If you're using turbotax, go delete your car for form 8936 and re-add it.

There's some bug right now that takes you're old manually entered credit amount and then does a .25% calculation on it. When I deleted the car and re-added it it did the 7500 * .25 calculation and gave me the correct credit amount.

Just an FYI

For anyone still waiting, this worked.

My return was rejected this morning. I deleted the car and readded this afternoon and it got accepted shortly after.

If you're using turbotax, go delete your car for form 8936 and re-add it.

There's some bug right now that takes you're old manually entered credit amount and then does a .25% calculation on it. When I deleted the car and re-added it it did the 7500 * .25 calculation and gave me the correct credit amount.

Just an FYI

For anyone still waiting, this worked.
Okay; I did that last night and still got rejected this AM. I will give it another try. Thanks @cjhudson101 and @willow_hiller

Mine got accepted by IRS.
I am getting $3750+ other credits back.

I try to limit how much I loan the government. When I placed my order for the car back in July I calculated out how much I had paid so far from withholding and how much I would owe when factoring in the credit and then cut off my withholding when I hit that point. It would have been $4 back but I forgot about the 30% credit on charger install so that got me back about $150.

I also was caught by the TMT and was unable to claim any credit on 8911. Even though I do not pay AMT, the credit on 8936 was enough to take me below my TMT, which invalidates the credit on 8911.

It's no big deal, it was 30% of $850, but it was an unpleasant surprise.

It's too bad I can't carry over this credit to TY 2020, when I will not have credits on 8936 and therefore not be affected by the TMT.

At least I got my taxes completed, finally! I am tempted to shop around for other tax software next year, but I can't switch unless the new vendor supports importing 1099s as well as Turbotax.

• Funny
Reactions: SlimJim
Tried amending my 2018 return in TurboTax but it isn’t even calculating anything when I enter in the info for the vehicle charging station credit from form 8911. Saving the PDF copy of the amended return doesn’t even have the 8911 form in it. The form only became available in TurboTax today so I suspect they’ve only added it in for 2019 so far and haven’t done it for 2018 stuff yet. I spoke with a live agent from TurboTax and they said that was likely the case and I should try again in a day or so.

I try to limit how much I loan the government. When I placed my order for the car back in July I calculated out how much I had paid so far from withholding and how much I would owe when factoring in the credit and then cut off my withholding when I hit that point. It would have been $4 back but I forgot about the 30% credit on charger install so that got me back about $150.

Exactly what I did. I’m getting a whole $38 back from Uncle Sam. I call that a win.

• Funny
Reactions: SlimJim and acarney