Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 LR or 2021 SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ruuk11

Apr 6, 2021
UK
Both are a similar price, the 2019 LR is actually slightly cheaper. It is in good condition and has reasonable mileage.

I don’t necessarily need the extra 70 miles range, but I think it would help values down the line. The premium sound and better performance is also a nice plus, though neither is essential.

Your thoughts appreciated.

Aside from new v's old and warranty etc, the actual differences between the pre and post 2020 M3 refresh are relatively small. There's nothing in the refreshed M3's that would tempt me to sell my 2019 model and purchase a 2021. Some small refinements but, personally, nothing I feel I'm missing out on. One thing you are stuck with is the range; you might not feel you need the extra capacity regularly - but on those occasions you do want it, you'll be glad of it. Personally, I'd go with the 2019 LR based on your description - but that's me, not you :)

I'd go LR. I'm not convinced on either the LFP batteries in the MIC SR+ or the heat pump being as big an advantage as people hope it would and it hasn't proven that reliable and as the battery is kept cooler it then detracts from supercharging speed etc. The LR also has more performance, premium hifi, heated rear seats as standard, and all wheel drive. That leaves just the heated steering wheel which the SR+ might have fitted but isn't currently software enabled.

No one's mentioned warranty yet - certainly wouldn't run one of these cars outside of a full Tesla warranty (mine has spent way too much time at Service Centres in it's first 6 months and is due back again in May) so you'll only have ~2 years left on the 2019 car. Maybe get a quote from Tesla on extended warranty costs first?

Reactions: Mperkins28
You can get 2020 LR cars from Tesla directly which will have a extra year warranty tacked on to the end of the 4 years warranty and they start at under 44k which is the same as a 2021 SR+ model so warranty isn't an issue if you buy wisely

Its super easy to compare cars here as it shows Tesla inventory and stuff on Autotrader etc side by side

The SR+ has better efficiency due to only one motor and as it has a smaller battery you have to charge mor often on longer journeys. But due to the charge curve a long journey works out about the same duration in both cars (if the Supercharges line up) some places do become harder to access in the SR+ due to poor Supercharger layout. (Wales)

you get the premium interior in the LR but the heat pump and the refreshed interior in the SR+. Both have pros and cons

I think it’s basically swings and roundabout between the two. The only deciding factors would be warranty and if you do long distance regular driving (100 mile round trip more than once a week)

I would choose LR personally, on the basis of some concerning stories about the heat pump disproportionately scavenging heat from the battery, meaning it doesn't get to temperature properly. LR has the premium interior (the sound system is decent imo), and some extra miles which will be more significant in cooler weather.

I had the 2019 SR+. It's a great car, but the LR is just more "complete".

To be honest I'd go with a new LR... Even if you are buying cash the price difference is ~£100 a month, basically a gym membership or cable TV subscription...

SR+ is 9k down and £537
LR is 9k down and £639

Is it worth the £100/month for AWD, extrea speakers, heated steering wheel and 0-60 1 second faster.... Yes...

It will aslo keep most of the difference at resale.

Another difference between SR+ and LR is faster roadtrips in LR. Due to the supercharging curve you get fastest charge between 5% and 50%. In an LR that will be give you significantly more range.

Lets say you wanted to drive to Spain. LR would need about ~2 hours of charging, SR+ would need ~3 hours and 2 more stops - despite the charging stops being ~150 miles apart. Plus other practicalities such as being able to skip stops you dont like (i.e. Paris).

Last edited:
I actually had a 2019LR on lease in my last job, and bought a 2021 SR+ when I moved to my current one. The SR+ is great, of course, but I do miss the 4 wheel drive, acceleration and extra range. On balance I’d rather have the older LR, but there weren’t any available when I bought my current car.

There are a few good value LR CPO cars at Tesla and the warranty is actually longer than if you bought a new car because of the way it works. I'd go LR every time, the question should be whether a .MIC LR is worth the extra over a used Fremont LR, and I think the answer is no unless you think a heated steering wheel is worth about 5k (which is probably good value compared to FSD :) )

I had the 2019 SR+. It's a great car, but the LR is just more "complete".

To be honest I'd go with a new LR... Even if you are buying cash the price difference is ~£100 a month, basically a gym membership or cable TV subscription...

SR+ is 9k down and £537
LR is 9k down and £639

Is it worth the £100/month for AWD, extrea speakers, heated steering wheel and 0-60 1 second faster.... Yes...

It will aslo keep most of the difference at resale.

Another difference between SR+ and LR is faster roadtrips in LR. Due to the supercharging curve you get fastest charge between 5% and 50%. In an LR that will be give you significantly more range.

Lets say you wanted to drive to Spain. LR would need about ~2 hours of charging, SR+ would need ~3 hours and 2 more stops - despite the charging stops being ~150 miles apart. Plus other practicalities such as being able to skip stops you dont like (i.e. Paris).
How many miles are you doing here for the cost, out of curiosity. Seems high.