Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.12.11.2 hitting M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There’s no way AP2.5 cars would be discontinued. Not even a little .00000001% chance. This isn’t like a BMW where they “save” new features to force you into a new car.
Yes, but Tesla definitely "hides" new features in order to not cannibalize sales. For instance, the Model 3 had the ability to regeneratively brake down to 0mph when it first rolled off the production line. It's a function of the type of motor they use.

Until they could produce S and X models that could do the same thing (Raven update) they did not release that feature to the Model 3 in order to avoid cannibalizing sales.

• Informative
Reactions: nvx1977
Yes, but Tesla definitely "hides" new features in order to not cannibalize sales. For instance, the Model 3 had the ability to regeneratively brake down to 0mph when it first rolled off the production line. It's a function of the type of motor they use.

Until they could produce S and X models that could do the same thing (Raven update) they did not release that feature to the Model 3 in order to avoid cannibalizing sales.

Or... it needed testing before being released? While it’s possible your theory is correct, I think it’s not “definitely” without evidence.

Reactions: dmurphy

Or, they hadn't finished the software and testing yet.

That's one hell of a stretch. I don't see stopping vs. slowing down from 3-0mph as the killer feature that would drive someone away from a $90k car, but that's just me.

Cool, sure. But thinking that would "cannibalize" sales? C'mon.

Reactions: holmgang
Or, they hadn't finished the software and testing yet.

That's one hell of a stretch. I don't see stopping vs. slowing down from 3-0mph as the killer feature that would drive someone away from a $90k car, but that's just me.

Cool, sure. But thinking that would "cannibalize" sales? C'mon.

Tesla has taken steps to differentiate between the S/X and 3. Allowing the 3 to have a feature that owners have b****ed about (because even the chevy volt can regenerate to 0) would have slowed S/X sales as people waited for the hardware refresh to allow them to do that.

I don't think you can claim it was because of testing. They released the feature AS SOON as they had S/X models with raven drivetrains.

Tesla also does this with their efficiency increases. Remember has last year Elon announced that range would be going up on S & X models? And not on just new vehicles - they had been building in new updates to S & X models for months without activating them so that when they announced the change, every Tesla available for sale had the new hardware.

People don't like buying last years tech, especially when they're spending as much as a Tesla costs.