Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.12.5.6: Traffic Light & Stop Sign Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tapping the accelerator works perfectly for me. Any pressure works.

Concerning the slow speed - Tesla still has to sell this to the govt regulators and prove that the car does not speed on streets when this feature is driving.

No, it absolutely doesn't.

You've been debunked on this several times now.

This is an L2 feature- there's no "approval" required at all.

it's exactly analogous to when they rolled out lane-changes for NoA you had to manually approve every time. And there was no "locked to speed limit" restriction on THAT was there?

It's done here because this is a vastly more (potentially) dangerous feature so locking down speed maximizes both time for driver to react appropriately, and time for the car to slow gradually enough to be safe if driver doesn't react soon.

I downloaded the update so I will gladly try it out today to see if it changes my opinion. But like others I don’t like the speed limit feature. I don’t blame Tesla for doing that though. I’m more concerned about it acting irrationally. I know it will improve so don’t get your “T” emblems underwear in a Knot.

You have your opinion. No issue with that.

But saying you call a spade a spade doesn’t make you right, nor are owners who disagree with you wrong, just because they like Tesla. Think about that. :)

oh no, I’m right. :p
It actually stops if you can't make the light. I confirmed the moment the message appeared. Then the light turned yellow so a message indicating the yellow light popped up. I immediately tap to confirm again but the car continued to slow down and stop.

I have it all on video. Will post tomorrow
That’s a relief.

You are stating the obvious. It is for training the system to verify that what the human does is what the computer is expecting. A verification/confirmation tool. Certainly wasn't meant to be "done".
I know. I’m more disappointed that others are blind to this.

Last edited:
Lots of reasons, but I'd be willing to bet a substantial sum there is never going to be a fsd vehicle that will work above the speed limit. Why would the government ever sanction breaking the law? Perhaps if there are enough fsd vehicles the speed limits will be raised.

I don't want you to be correct here, but I think you are right. Perhaps there may be certain emergency issues where exceeding the speed limit is sanctioned, but Tesla's overall liability would be extreme if not put back to the driver. I think it is inevitable that FSD, if it happens, is not going to be as fast as driving yourself.

I don't want you to be correct here, but I think you are right. Perhaps there may be certain emergency issues where exceeding the speed limit is sanctioned, but Tesla's overall liability would be extreme if not put back to the driver. I think it is inevitable that FSD, if it happens, is not going to be as fast as driving yourself.

Wonderfully worded post.

I believe both of you are absolutely right in saying that "it is inevitable that FSD, if it happens, is not going to be as fast as driving yourself"

I would also like to say that it will be an order of magnitude "safer" when mostly ALL cars are utilizing FSD though.

Reactions: Mastequila
Some of the comments here are very interesting. It makes me wonder what the expectation was of the absolute first baby step at FSD.

I suppose the expectation was the same as AP......but look at it now. The criticism threads of AP are now a thing of the past here in TMC.
Over 3 billion miles served.

I wonder where this thread will be in 3 billion miles of Traffic Light & Stop Sign Control.

Some of the comments here are very interesting. It makes me wonder what the expectation was of the absolute first baby step at FSD.

I suppose the expectation was the same as AP......but look at it now. The criticism threads of AP are now a thing of the past here in TMC.

I wonder where this thread will be in 3 billion miles of Traffic Light & Stop Sign Control.

pointing out deficiencies is a good thing. Blindly loving everything isn’t.

Reactions: MrBadger
pointing out deficiencies is a good thing. Blindly loving everything isn’t.

I was posting my above post while you were posting this one.

OMG I'm certainly NOT loving anything - even unblinded. I don't know where that idea got pulled from.

FEED the data.....the good, the bad and the ugly. FEED the data.

then R-E-L-A-X. Its gon'e be alright.

Last edited:
Reactions: BenBethel

I don't know if you guys knew how hard that Green Bay video was to post. I'm a Bears fan.

But that line by Aaron was just soo cool ( after he just finished a chat discussion in TMC ) that I just had to post it. lol

Is it true that FSD is approved by the Government and Tesla can just move forward?

Which FSD?

Which government?

In some places if a company had a working L5 self-driving solution they could roll it out today, with no further requirements related to the government. (nobody has such a solution of course)

In other places they couldn't.

So when Elon keeps saying he "hopes" to get approval in at least "some" places in the next year or two he's either ignorant (unlikely) or misleading (more likely) in that there's ALREADY places you could run such a system right now.

Personally, I don't mind the speed limit being held to the exact limit. It only applies to lane keep, which I don't use in the city because there is too much turning and lane changing going on anyways. I'll still use TACC around town though. Especially now that it stops for lights now.

I haven't tried the new software yet but I had assumed it would only stop at stop lights if autosteer is engaged (and not just TACC). Is that not the case?

So when Elon keeps saying he "hopes" to get approval in at least "some" places in the next year or two he's either ignorant (unlikely) or misleading (more likely) in that there's ALREADY places you could run such a system right now.

This frustrates me. "Regulators" seems so broad. I hear even non Tesla people quoting Elon's "regulator approval" as reasons not ready. I get that it is super complex and in a world I am not able to understand. Many states have different rules. Many of them would allow it now. I wonder if it is more an insurance/liability new world for true L5.

@Garlan Garner Found some of this you inquired about a few posts ago. Not vouching for data. Just a google search.

There are currently 37 states along with the District of Columbia that have enacted legislation or issues executive orders regarding Autonomous Vehicles (AVs).
  • 13 states simply authorize a study, define key terms or state contacts, or authorize funding
  • 8 states authorize testing, while 11 states and the District of Columbia authorize full deployment. Of these, 12 states now allow testing or deployment without a human operator in the vehicle.
  • 5 states regulate truck platooning.
More information on state AV laws as well as recommendations for states considering AV legislation can be found in GHSA's report Preparing for Automated Vehicles: Traffic Safety Issues for States.

Source: NCSL

Autonomous Vehicles | Self-Driving Vehicles Enacted Legislation

I haven't tried the new software yet but I had assumed it would only stop at stop lights if autosteer is engaged (and not just TACC). Is that not the case?

Works on TACC too. Which I think is the better way to use this new feature anyway, since Autopilot (aka Autosteer) won’t make turns at intersections and tends to freak out with the “take over immediately” message at slightly complex intersections.

Nope- works with AS or TACC.

Honestly the should never have included any mention of AS in the release notes as it contradicts the owners manual directions on use of AS- simply leaving it as a feature that only works when TACC is turned out (which is already true) avoids that issue.

Nope- works with AS or TACC.

Honestly the should never have included any mention of AS in the release notes as it contradicts the owners manual directions on use of AS- simply leaving it as a feature that only works when TACC is turned out (which is already true) avoids that issue.

My suspicion is that Tesla would have rather released it to only work on TACC for now, since Autosteer doesn’t handle intersections very well, but it would confusing to the driver since TACC is part of Autosteer.

****raises hand politely because I have southern manners*** :p

Excuse please - i have a question -

just so i understand the nomenclature of this system-

if you are driving on a highway or interstate - pulling the stick down ONE CLICK activates TACC? and if you do this twice in rapid succession, that engages autosteer? i get you need to see the steering wheel in gray ("grey" for our mates/lads across the pond) to access autosteer and tacc as well yes?

so what is AP (auto pilot) ? how is that different from auto steer? :confused:

im just a month into the tesla world and honestly im still not clear on auto steer/AutoPilot. i see TACC is basically what i had on my qx and that it keeps you in your lane, and nudges you if you veer out of the lane and moves the steering wheel if you try to move into an occupied lane, brake/accelerate, but when you are NOT using TACC the model 3 will still watch your blind spots and nudge you back in the lane as i had it do this to me when i was driving on a regular surface road and didnt signal when changing lanes (yes i know bad baaadd). is this feature a part of auto steer?

with all these updates recently (ive had 4 in just a month of owning the car) the operators manual is now a bit outdated.

there's not really a CURRENT youtube video or thread i know of to showcase all of this in one sitting , so would someone 'splain this to me lucy? :p

yrs ive full FSD for whatever that is worth to this discussion.