Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.12.5.6: Traffic Light & Stop Sign Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2020.12.5.6 is starting to roll out to non-EAP owners, and this version apparently has Traffic Light and Stop Sign control features. If true, this could be huge.

Souces:

Twitter

TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker

index.php
I see the traffic lights in our new model Y.

I haven't seen anyone talk about this but I just drove for the first time with the update and I noticed that now I get a message that I have to press the brake to shift from drive to reverse. Before I could just press up or down on the stalk to change. I find no reason for this and really annoying even if minor.

the operators manual states if you are moving less than 2 or 3 mph you will have to press the brake. i think what you are seeing is normal but perhaps you just had a perfect storm where your speed was too slow and the nanny alert asked you to press the brake. speculation on my part.

I haven't seen anyone talk about this but I just drove for the first time with the update and I noticed that now I get a message that I have to press the brake to shift from drive to reverse. Before I could just press up or down on the stalk to change. I find no reason for this and really annoying even if minor.

Safety is the reason. Tesla wants to limit accidental reverse driving.

• Funny
Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
the operators manual states if you are moving less than 2 or 3 mph you will have to press the brake. i think what you are seeing is normal but perhaps you just had a perfect storm where your speed was too slow and the nanny alert asked you to press the brake. speculation on my part.
I think you're right, just went on another drive and it worked normal.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
This frustrates me. "Regulators" seems so broad. I hear even non Tesla people quoting Elon's "regulator approval" as reasons not ready. I get that it is super complex and in a world I am not able to understand. Many states have different rules. Many of them would allow it now. I wonder if it is more an insurance/liability new world for true L5.

@Garlan Garner Found some of this you inquired about a few posts ago. Not vouching for data. Just a google search.

There are currently 37 states along with the District of Columbia that have enacted legislation or issues executive orders regarding Autonomous Vehicles (AVs).
  • 13 states simply authorize a study, define key terms or state contacts, or authorize funding
  • 8 states authorize testing, while 11 states and the District of Columbia authorize full deployment. Of these, 12 states now allow testing or deployment without a human operator in the vehicle.
  • 5 states regulate truck platooning.
More information on state AV laws as well as recommendations for states considering AV legislation can be found in GHSA's report Preparing for Automated Vehicles: Traffic Safety Issues for States.

Source: NCSL

Autonomous Vehicles | Self-Driving Vehicles Enacted Legislation

Excellent. Thanks for the information.

****raises hand politely because I have southern manners*** :p

Excuse please - i have a question -

just so i understand the nomenclature of this system-

if you are driving on a highway or interstate - pulling the stick down ONE CLICK activates TACC? and if you do this twice in rapid succession, that engages autosteer? i get you need to see the steering wheel in gray ("grey" for our mates/lads across the pond) to access autosteer and tacc as well yes?

so what is AP (auto pilot) ? how is that different from auto steer? :confused:

im just a month into the tesla world and honestly im still not clear on auto steer/AutoPilot. i see TACC is basically what i had on my qx and that it keeps you in your lane, and nudges you if you veer out of the lane and moves the steering wheel if you try to move into an occupied lane, brake/accelerate, but when you are NOT using TACC the model 3 will still watch your blind spots and nudge you back in the lane as i had it do this to me when i was driving on a regular surface road and didnt signal when changing lanes (yes i know bad baaadd). is this feature a part of auto steer?

with all these updates recently (ive had 4 in just a month of owning the car) the operators manual is now a bit outdated.

there's not really a CURRENT youtube video or thread i know of to showcase all of this in one sitting , so would someone 'splain this to me lucy? :p

yrs ive full FSD for whatever that is worth to this discussion.

Autopilot is the suite of features, including TACC and Autosteer, rather than being an individual feature. Different combinations of features have been offered under the Autopilot and Enhanced Autopilot labels at different times.

TACC - traffic aware cruise control is only about acceleration and braking, and does nothing for steering.

As you noticed, recent Teslas do try to keep you in the lane even when you are driving. That’s a pair of safety features, the optional Lane Departure Avoidance and nearly mandatory Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance (ELDA triggers when the car thinks you’re leaving the lane and that there’s traffic you might collide with.)

You don’t need the gray steering wheel for TACC, but you do for Autosteer. If you try to engage Autosteer and it isn’t available, TACC cancels as well for reduced confusion.

• Love
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Lots of reasons, but I'd be willing to bet a substantial sum there is never going to be a fsd vehicle that will work above the speed limit. Why would the government ever sanction breaking the law? Perhaps if there are enough fsd vehicles the speed limits will be raised.

You are projecting current traffic laws into a future that is going to be much different...

When FSD is a proven commodity, laws will be modified to take that into account. If an FSD "train" of a dozen vehicles traveling at 80 mph is only 1/10 as likely to have an accident as a manually driven car, then the left most lane or carpool lane will be reserved for FSD vehicles. They will be zooming by you, and you will be wondering why you didn't fork over the $$$ for FSD :p

RT

Having played around with this for an hour or so today (got update last night)...

1. Sticking to the speed limit really isnt going to work on a road with any amount of traffic. Letting the car drive along a few main roads by itself caused cars to back up behind me with a huge gap in front of me. I'm sure the drivers behind were not happy at all with this.

2. The actual detection/handling of stop signs and lights seems pretty good. Stops are generally smooth and paced pretty well (a fraction slower and more cautious than I would be, but not so much to be annoying). I've yet to see the car "miss" a light.

3. Gently tapping on the "gas" pedal (can we agree to call it an accelerator now, like the UK? lol) to get it to drive on through a light works pretty well, though it can cause some changes in speed if you are not careful. I've not tried using the stalk for this yet, as the gas pedal seems more intuitive to me.

4. Once or twice the car seemed to resume ABOVE the speed limit (39 in a 35 mph zone), but I'm not sure if that was me nudging it to a higher speed with the gas pedal.

Overall, for a first field trial beta, I'm (tentatively) impressed. Clearly its baby steps, but a taste of things to come. I'm presuming the next few releases will tweak the smoothness and take care of edge cases as they are found. Then, I would guess at some point the car will start driving through a green light without needing driver inout (maybe later this year).

4. Once or twice the car seemed to resume ABOVE the speed limit (39 in a 35 mph zone), but I'm not sure if that was me nudging it to a higher speed with the gas pedal.

I just got the update and went out on my lunch break to test it out. I believe what you are seeing is the result of the car not knowing the speed limit on that road. Both time it happened to me the speed limit sign was not displayed in the portion of the display under and to the right of the speedometer. I could adjust above the speed limit.

I agree with all your points.

You are projecting current traffic laws into a future that is going to be much different...

When FSD is a proven commodity, laws will be modified to take that into account. If an FSD "train" of a dozen vehicles traveling at 80 mph is only 1/10 as likely to have an accident as a manually driven car, then the left most lane or carpool lane will be reserved for FSD vehicles. They will be zooming by you, and you will be wondering why you didn't fork over the $$$ for FSD :p

RT
I hope that's true and in one of the other posts I mentioned a tipping point that once there are a certain number of fsd vehicles on the road perhaps speed limits and laws will change.

perhaps some of the data that comes from real world tests, with real world people, is that following the posted limit is NOT always the best thing. data may actually confirm this.

if they (tesla) have data, they can then choose to let the user override speed limits. with data behind decisions, its safer from a mgmt POV.

I can't see the software being stuck at speed limits forever. I do hope I'm right, that they are just collecting data in order to justify what everyone pretty much wants (yet another elephant in the room; the concept that 'speeding' is not so objective and it never really has been).

I just got the update and went out on my lunch break to test it out. I believe what you are seeing is the result of the car not knowing the speed limit on that road. Both time it happened to me the speed limit sign was not displayed in the portion of the display under and to the right of the speedometer. I could adjust above the speed limit.

I agree with all your points.

The car will tell you what it thinks the speed limit is. You can see it on the screen. I would be a simple thing to see if the car is right or wrong concerning the speed limit.

perhaps some of the data that comes from real world tests, with real world people, is that following the posted limit is NOT always the best thing. data may actually confirm this.

if they (tesla) have data, they can then choose to let the user override speed limits. with data behind decisions, its safer from a mgmt POV.

I can't see the software being stuck at speed limits forever. I do hope I'm right, that they are just collecting data in order to justify what everyone pretty much wants (yet another elephant in the room; the concept that 'speeding' is not so objective and it never really has been).

It all depends on Tesla's objective.

"IF" Tesla is motivated to proved to "the powers that be" that the car never speeds above the limit" when on streets......then its working perfectly.

Right now they will be able to prove it with unadulterated data.

What do "you" think Tesla's objective is with the speed limit? Could there be multiple objectives? <----- of which one of them is our satisfaction?

Who remembers what AP did ( concerning speed limits on the expressway ) back in 201x when it first came out?