Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.12.5.6: Traffic Light & Stop Sign Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine will come to a complete stop at some railroad crossings now.

I have one on my commute that has the railroad lights above the road and are un-lit when no train is passing. The car sees them as normal traffic lights and will try to stop for them. I have to hit the stalk three or four times to get the car go through. I think that it is confused because they are un-lit.

Oh- that's funny... and makes perfect sense.

Garlans hidden feature turns out to be a bug in stoplight detection :)

Oh- that's funny... and makes perfect sense.

Garlans hidden feature turns out to be a bug in stoplight detection :)

What if you come about a crossbuck? I bet it stops there as well. As in no lights and no boom gate. Tesla might need to differentiate between the two. One you have to be your own eyes and ears. Other a mechanical device is supposed to show you to stop. Then again. Maybe Tesla thinks we should have caution around railroad tracks. I think some around where I live the caution could save the suspension.

Crossbuck - Wikipedia

What if you come about a crossbuck? I bet it stops there as well. As in no lights and no boom gate. Tesla might need to differentiate between the two. One you have to be your own eyes and ears. Other a mechanical device is supposed to show you to stop. Then again. Maybe Tesla thinks we should have caution around railroad tracks. I think some around where I live the caution could save the suspension.

Crossbuck - Wikipedia

Just drove through one on my way home. I got no indication that the car was going to stop for the crossbuck and it did not slow down while it was going over it.

It seems like the only reason I get a stopping action at the other railroad crossing is because it has an overhead light that it interprets as a traffic light.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
That's difficult to believe.

Believe it. With TACC on, I was doing the posted 50 MPH. Came to the stoplight and it stopped as it should. Turned right, still engaged with TACC, to a 30 MPH zone, and the car shot up to 50 MPH. The posted 30 MPH was showing on screen too. I tested it again and it did it as well.

Honestly, I think the AP is doing quite well. It seems that it's only as good as the markings of the road, weather and posted speed limits. Nothing like cruising down the street where previous construction lines were only to confuse the car. Also has a hard time when driving directly into the sun (which I fully expect that to happen, and not sure how to fix that if the camera is blinded).

Give it time. The more we drive, the more data we feed the system. I'm good with that.

Believe it. With TACC on, I was doing the posted 50 MPH. Came to the stoplight and it stopped as it should. Turned right, still engaged with TACC, to a 30 MPH zone, and the car shot up to 50 MPH. The posted 30 MPH was showing on screen too. I tested it again and it did it as well.

Honestly, I think the AP is doing quite well. It seems that it's only as good as the markings of the road, weather and posted speed limits. Nothing like cruising down the street where previous construction lines were only to confuse the car. Also has a hard time when driving directly into the sun (which I fully expect that to happen, and not sure how to fix that if the camera is blinded).

Give it time. The more we drive, the more data we feed the system. I'm good with that.

So..... your car came to a stop at a light.....using TACC alone?

Maybe I'm not doing it right, but when I was on EAP Monday, I was doing ~45 mph, the light changed red and the alarms went off. Beep, beep, beep. But the car never slowed, so I quickly hit the brakes. (Or do I need to pony up another $4k for FSD?)

Yes, responding to traffic lights and stop signs is only for people that have purchased FSD. (And you have to turn the feature on.)

I'm fully aware of what the new feature does.

I just thought it was for FSD buyers and requires FSD to be engaged at the time... not just TACC
To be more correct it is Autosteer since you can't engage FSD. FSD is an option package of features but not a mode of driving. Also to be more confusing is also the name of the HW3 computer.

It works for FSD package owners in Autosteer or TACC modes.

Last edited:
I'm fully aware of what the new feature does.

I just thought it was for FSD buyers and requires FSD to be engaged at the time... not just TACC

There's no such thing as "engaging FSD"

FSD is a package of features you can buy.

One of those features adds responding to stop signs and stop lights when TACC or autosteer are engaged.

(and honestly there was no reason at all for them to include mention of autosteer in the feature description, since it's impossible to have AS on without also having TACC on)

• Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt
FSD is not just a package of features

I mean- it literally is though.

. Perhaps now it is

Right. Glad you came around so quickly!

, but most people who have bought it, did not buy it just for a few bells and whistles.

We aren't discussing WHY you bought- we're discussing WHAT you bought.

Which (since March 2019 anyway) is a specific list of specific features.... (one of which has already been kinda maybe downgraded in the last week or two)

(Feb '19 and earlier buyers bought an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT FSD and that's a whole other discussion- those folks are unlikely to ever get what they were promised)

They bought FSD with the expectation that it will eventually give them what the name FSD suggests, FULL self driving.

Except Tesla never actually promised that when selling it to you.

Even the pre-march-19 buyers were arguably promised only L4 driving in the actual written descriptions of the feature (though some of Elons aspiration statements described L5)

Otherwise, wouldn't PSD or Partial Self Driving have been a less confusing name?

Folks sell confusingly named stuff all the time.

That's why you read the fine print.

• Love
Reactions: lUtriaNt
There's no such thing as "engaging FSD"

FSD is a package of features you can buy.

One of those features adds responding to stop signs and stop lights when TACC or autosteer are engaged.

(and honestly there was no reason at all for them to include mention of autosteer in the feature description, since it's impossible to have AS on without also having TACC on)

My confusion is this.

When I double click down on the stalk - I call that engaging FSD ( which is a list of features ).

Now....while FSD is engaged....I move the steering wheel. I have now disengaged FSD and entered "TACC" or "Autopilot" or "regular cruise control" . This mode is no longer steering for me or doing things listed on Tesla's website as FSD.

Autopilot.....I'm confused as what the term "Enables your car to steer" means. ( see below ).

This is how Tesla's website defines it "this morning"
  • Navigate on Autopilot: automatic driving from highway on-ramp to off-ramp including interchanges and overtaking slower cars.
  • Auto Lane Change: automatic lane changes while driving on the highway.
  • Autopark: both parallel and perpendicular spaces.
  • Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really.
  • Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control: assisted stops at traffic controlled intersections.