Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.12.5.6: Traffic Light & Stop Sign Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MarcG

Oct 29, 2014
San Francisco
2020.12.5.6 is starting to roll out to non-EAP owners, and this version apparently has Traffic Light and Stop Sign control features. If true, this could be huge.

Souces:

Twitter

TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker

index.php

Attachments

• 9D1C45E1-4FF7-4641-9736-DA6AEC8973E6.jpeg
    9D1C45E1-4FF7-4641-9736-DA6AEC8973E6.jpeg
    641.7 KB · Views: 4,226
Last edited by a moderator:
Already seeing folks on Reddit getting it: 2020.12.5.6 : TeslaLounge

Are we sure this is non-EAP? I think it might just be for a slightly wider group of EAP.

Could be, but I haven’t seen EAP versions show up on TeslaFi before. From my understanding, EAP participants aren’t allowed to use such 3rd-party tracking sites.

I have to say that I’m surprised Tesla chose a dot-dot-dot version number for such a big feature (assuming it’s true, of course).

Could be, but I haven’t seen EAP versions show up on TeslaFi before. From my understanding, EAP participants aren’t allowed to use such 3rd-party tracking sites.

I have to say that I’m surprised Tesla chose a dot-dot-dot version number for such a big feature (assuming it’s true, of course).

EAP'ers ARE NOT supposed to use 3rd party anything. That is supposed to be some kind of agreement.

If they aren't able to play by the rules....Tesla should use other people in the EAP program.

Is that your screen Marc?

So this update seems to only recognize the presence of a traffic light and not be able to differentiate the colors as to whether to stop or go. Maybe in the next update that will be available. Regardless good baby step forward! Can’t wait.

Our cars can recognize the color of a traffic light. If you pay attention to the FSD visualization, you can see that it does indeed show the color of the light. But I suspect that Tesla is still working on getting it to 100% reliability. So to play it safe, this feature neuters that part and stops the car for every light by default and forces the driver to confirm when the light is green. That way, Tesla can use the driver inputs to further train the NN to make the feature more reliable.

I’m not so sure.. maybe it’s Tesla’s intention, but why is it showing up in dozens on TeslaFi if it’s EAP only?

The NDA for early access says you can't use 3rd party software like TeslaFi. If Tesla catches them they can kick them out of Early Access, but some people do it anyway.

You also can't post any details about the EAP updates, but people do that too.

Thing I'm unclear on- is this a DIFFERENT method of stoplight handling as the previous EAP version from a couple weeks ago that they're trying out?

Or is this just the same system updated a bit and rolled to more EAP members?

Thing I'm unclear on- is this a DIFFERENT method of stoplight handling as the previous EAP version from a couple weeks ago that they're trying out?

Or is this just the same system updated a bit and rolled to more EAP members?

I think it is the latter. The description looks exactly the same as the leak we got before. So I think it is the same method, just rolled out to more EA members and maybe tweaked to be a little more reliable.

Reactions: liuping
So this update seems to only recognize the presence of a traffic light and not be able to differentiate the colors as to whether to stop or go. Maybe in the next update that will be available. Regardless good baby step forward! Can’t wait.
It's much more complex than that.
True, it would stop at a green pending confirmation (stalk or "gas") but for a RED, even if you confirm, it will over-ride your confirmation and still come to a complete stop. If you want to over-ride it's forced-stop (red) determination, you have to hold gas down; that is not the case with a green. Therefore, it recognizes light colors and differentiates it's response tree.

Agreed on both counts. But nowhere does it states this specific release is ever going out ONLY to owners in EAP. (Meanwhile, count of cars upgrading to this release steadily increases on TeslaFi...)

True. 2020.12.5.6 could also go out to non early access but this traffic light feature is only going out to early access so far.

Reactions: liuping