Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Cripple"! No, I think what you meant to say is if one chooses to upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2, a wonderful choice which adds all the current functionality of shipping cars, you will not have AM/FM radio functionality. This obviously due to hardware limitations in the retrofit. It is not "fixable" with a software update, it is not malicious. And it has nothing to do with USB music temporarily not working.

Can we please not refer to Tesla like a lame traditional car company.
for some areas, try using the HD radio channels.....I use HD1 FM 101.1 (LA area) for normal and go to HD2 FM 101.1 for KNX radio 1070AM......a lot of radio FM stations have HD transmissions for AM stations

for some areas, try using the HD radio channels.....I use HD1 FM 101.1 (LA area) for normal and go to HD2 FM 101.1 for KNX radio 1070AM......a lot of radio FM stations have HD transmissions for AM stations
HD channels have nothing to do with it. With the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade, they replace the MCU. MCU2 has an input for a digital tuner (radio receiver). MCU1 uses an analog receiver. Problem is that replacing the receiver requires going deeper into the dashboard (behind the steering wheel). Tesla has apparently decided that the labor and parts cost isn't worth it, so when you upgrade you get a new MCU, but keep your old receiver (which can't connect to MCU2. As a result, you lose AM/FM/XM radio because their is no receiver connected to your MCU.

• Informative
Reactions: AronAZ
HD channels have nothing to do with it. With the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade, they replace the MCU. MCU2 has an input for a digital tuner (radio receiver). MCU1 uses an analog receiver. Problem is that replacing the receiver requires going deeper into the dashboard (behind the steering wheel). Tesla has apparently decided that the labor and parts cost isn't worth it, so when you upgrade you get a new MCU, but keep your old receiver (which can't connect to MCU2. As a result, you lose AM/FM/XM radio because their is no receiver connected to your MCU.
oh...got it....I understand now....thanks

"Cripple"! No, I think what you meant to say is if one chooses to upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2, a wonderful choice which adds all the current functionality of shipping cars, you will not have AM/FM radio functionality. This obviously due to hardware limitations in the retrofit. It is not "fixable" with a software update, it is not malicious. And it has nothing to do with USB music temporarily not working.

Can we please not refer to Tesla like a lame traditional car company.

Losing the AM/FM radio functionality is not 'due to hardware limitations in the retrofit'. Tesla chose to not include the digital tuner in the upgrade to reduce labor costs. It's not malicious but it is an example of doing the minimum effort they could get away with.

Reactions: BlueRocket
New user and first post so go easy. Do we know what release fixs the usb issue as mined failed at version 2020.8.1. I just got update 2020.8.2 and it didnt fix it. My car is 2018 S P100D. Tried to speak to Tesla Australia 2 weeks ago and it was like i was speaking a foreign language. Reason why user here whing is because they dont tell us it a confirmed issue and it will
Be fixed.

i understand we are all beta testers but they just dont communicates. Love the car hate the service

end rant.

Is there any way to have a third party install of a compatible digital receiver? I really do like my am/fm radio. Thanks

New user and first post so go easy. Do we know what release fixs the usb issue as mined failed at version 2020.8.1. I just got update 2020.8.2 and it didnt fix it. My car is 2018 S P100D. Tried to speak to Tesla Australia 2 weeks ago and it was like i was speaking a foreign language. Reason why user here whing is because they dont tell us it a confirmed issue and it will
Be fixed.

i understand we are all beta testers but they just dont communicates. Love the car hate the service

end rant.

Let me ask you, have you tried:

1. eject your drive from the car
2. plug it into your PC or laptop
3. delete the current partition
4. create a new partition
5. format that new partition with fat32
6. create a folder named "TeslaCam"
7. properly eject said drive from your PC or laptop
8. plug drive into car
9. click and hold on the icon when it appears for a few seconds and the red dot should appear indicating that it is recording

It is imperative that you delete the partition and recreate it. Just formatting the old partition will fail to succeed in many instances.
Good luck!

Let me ask you, have you tried:

1. eject your drive from the car
2. plug it into your PC or laptop
3. delete the current partition
4. create a new partition
5. format that new partition with fat32
6. create a folder named "TeslaCam"
7. properly eject said drive from your PC or laptop
8. plug drive into car
9. click and hold on the icon when it appears for a few seconds and the red dot should appear indicating that it is recording

It is imperative that you delete the partition and recreate it. Just formatting the old partition will fail to succeed in many instances.
Good luck!
I have tried this a zillion times with different brands. They all work for 15 minutes and it says disk fulll afterwards. I check usb afterwards and it only 3gb full on a 64 gb usb. Also everything is now read only on the usb. I then change it to write and put it back in and works again for 15 minutes and does the same thing. Only happen after 2020.8.1. Since then i have 2020.8.1.1 and now im on 2020.8.2 tested as well.

Reactions: Gt1948
30 jan 2020 delivery.......just installed 12.5......took 35:47......I was able to press the dash cam icon and the screen went to large front with side and back camera video in the corners......it was really nice......I had pressed the icon to down load all before I tried it but only the video within the last few minutes after the install was there.....not sure why.....but video was great......will go for a ride later and download and see what it shows then.....this really makes the dash cam set up complete.....no other issues seen so far

Losing the AM/FM radio functionality is not 'due to hardware limitations in the retrofit'. Tesla chose to not include the digital tuner in the upgrade to reduce labor costs. It's not malicious but it is an example of doing the minimum effort they could get away with.

I don't completely agree. There's a time and cost factor involved here as well. The $2500 MCU upgrade cost includes labor. If they were going to also change out the tuner which requires additional/substantial work, they would've either needed to a.) increase the overall upgrade cost to account for the added labor or b.) charge labor on the project in all cases (six in one hand/half a dozen in the other).

Let's assume it takes 3 hours to swap the MCU but 6 hours to swap the MCU and tuner. That means they can only do half the number of retrofits in a given day. With Tesla already feeling the strain from a service standpoint, I can see why they just opted not to do the tuner.

They should've given customers the option of paying $2500 for just the MCU or maybe $3500 for the MCU + tuner but even if they did that, they would lose a lot of productivity and I would argue most people would skip the tuner.

Reactions: dark cloud
Is there any way to have a third party install of a compatible digital receiver? I really do like my am/fm radio. Thanks

I was concerned about that, too, until someone suggested using the TuneIn functionality. I found that every station I'd ever listen to is available on TuneIn.
1 - the reception is digital
2 - unlike with the tuner, I never drive out of range of the station. I can listen to it 2,000 miles away from home
3 - on some stations I now see song and artist information that I don't see when listening via the tuner.

I won't miss the tuner at all after I upgrade to MCU 2. Some folks who use Sirius/XM will, but my pano-roof S never had that to start with.
If you're in this situation, you probably got grandfathered into free Premium Connectivity for life, so just get on your computer, create a free TuneIn acct, select all your stations as favorites, log into your acct on TuneIn in your Tesla, and all those favorites will show up on your Tesla music.

(I've read that streamed music increases wear on the eMMC in MCU1, but that won't be a problem with the MCU2 upgrade that would take away your tuner.)

I keep hearing that it’s exceptionally difficult to reach the tuner. Just this week, I pulled out my left sunroof motor which is located next the steering column. As I tucked my head in there, right next to it is the analog tuner. Completely accessible. It only took me about twenty minutes to get the motor out having never done it before. I can’t imagine it would take much longer to access the tuner. I hear there are a couple of screws that are a little difficult to reach.

But I just can’t buy the story that the job is too difficult. Removing the MCU is waaaay more difficult. And once you’ve disassembled the dash to take out the McU, the tuner is right there.

• Informative
Reactions: ChrML and BigNick
But I just can’t buy the story that the job is too difficult. Removing the MCU is waaaay more difficult. And once you’ve disassembled the dash to take out the McU, the tuner is right there.

But what would you replace it with? The digital tuner that Tesla uses in MCU2 cars will not fit the bracket the analog tuner is in, and there are reportedly incompatibilities in the wiring harness, too. It can be done. It has been done, but you cannot conclude that it’s a simple task just because the analog tuner is accessible

I feel as your Tesla becomes too obsolete because Tesla has developed new technology, maybe it's time to trade it in for the latest model if you must have the features in the present tech. This is how so many have done for decades with their cars, often trading them in after 3-4 years for new features, long before their current Tesla doesn't run and is ready for the junk yard. This is possible because there is a good market for used cars with 3-4 year old technology, especially, 3-4 year old Tesla technology because Tesla 4 year old technology is superior to nearly every current competitor out there. .

12-17 MS75D MCU1 AP 2.5
Well it was six months ago I lost ability to request any music. SC said firmware bug but four updates later . . .
Now as of 2020.8 dashcam doesn't work, error drive full but it's empty and worked fine since feature released
Looking forward to checking Other USB for music playback

seems if they are going to break the few features we still have on a 2 yr old MCU1 car they should offer a discounted MCU2 update

love my car and not complaining but concerned that last six updates have only taken away and broken things. FWIW - I had the out of order stall information prior to the 2020.12 update so update notes bogus - was only for the IP infringement icon fix

Reactions: ironwaffle
30 jan 2020 delivery.......just installed 12.5......took 35:47......I was able to press the dash cam icon and the screen went to large front with side and back camera video in the corners......it was really nice......I had pressed the icon to down load all before I tried it but only the video within the last few minutes after the install was there.....not sure why.....but video was great......will go for a ride later and download and see what it shows then.....this really makes the dash cam set up complete.....no other issues seen so far

Pressing the icon while driving only Saves most recent clips for viewing. Same as honking horn if you enabled that feature. And while parked, the Viewer for some reason can only access Sentry or Saved events. You can still find all Recent files by viewing on your PC.
https://sentrycam.appspot.com/