Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Initial drive confirmed reading of speed limit signs with only 1 outlier but in a good way. I passed a sign in a school zone that said "only when flashing". Unfortunately, only way to validate would be to drive by when it's flashing but the building is no longer a school so that won't be happening.

Mine did slow a bit at the last second at a school zone. I am pretty sure it wasn’t flashing because it was lunch hour. I also saw the speed limit icon pop to confirm the speed limit when it passed a matching sign.

Just got it and went for a test drive here in BC Canada. All works as advertised in release notes. I think they are holding back the reading the speed limit sign here as the only changes were the green light notification bingy and the easy to update cruise speed thingy. The release notes also didn't mention anything about the speed limit sign reading. Was there something about that in the release notes for the US?

2020.36 -
  • Increased the response time to driver infotainment and other some other features. Adjust your volume while driving with the steering wheel to measure it, but many functions have increased lag.
  • Seems to have reduced phantom braking. Based on situations and locations I've encountered PB in the past, they are so far (for me) eliminated.
  • They broke the Next Song / Previous Song steering wheel function when playing USB sticks. Note that exFAT now works for TeslaCam, but you still have to have a unique partition for music.

They are probably going to patch it quickly. The lag affects some safety related items as well.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
I've had that happen before. Try to reboot your car and go to the software update screen in car where it checks for latest version. I've gotten it to reappear like that and if not right away, sometimes a couple of hours after that.
I tried that but no luck. Thanks for the advice anyway. I’m not sure if state of charge has anything to do with it. I had a low state of charge (30%) when I got home. I’ll try tomorrow when it’s at 90%

This Green light Chime is awesome.

I really didn't expect it to be that useful. Can't tell you how many times I try and do something at a red-light, fiddle with music, nav, a setting or something. If my wife is with with me I'll ask here to watch the light. Sometimes I might get honked at if I'm not watching out of the corner of my eye closely enough. Today it brought my attention back immediately with no honk :) Drivers at red lights behind me will thank Elon.

My car recognized speed signs almost immediately on a short drive. Have not tested it on the highway.

I have the green light chime. I've also tried rebooting the driver display, and still no posted speed limit signs.

I tried a little searching, but only found older firmware posts for this one issue. I had my MY at the SC and it had the 2020.36 update sitting there overnight. So I upgraded it before I went to pick it up the next day. As I drove away, I realized about 10 miles down the road that the air wasn't cold blowing out. It was 88 degrees outside, I had to put the windows down. I then saw I was hitting the issue with "Climate keeper disabled due to system fault" and I couldn't control the climate from the phone app. When manually doing the climate in the car, the fan speed would increase, but it was all warm air. I was going to call the SC today, but after my MY went to sleep last night and I woke it, climate is working fine. I turned it on via the app, and when I got into the car it was cold. It is working now.

I'm thinking it's firmware related, seems buggy, and I've seen reports of this in older firmware. Just wondering if it was seen in 2020.36 yet.

Yes, you can have MCU1 and HW3, by having the AP2, or AP2.5, computer replaced with a HW3 one.

So no, HW3 doesn't require MCU2.

Wow. Thanks.

Honestly that's really surprising. So for the FSD upgrade on my HW2 MCU1 MS, after spending $7k I would get the HW3 Tesla made FSD computer but would still be stuck with MCU1 and no Netflix, Games, full Sentry, Chromium, Dashcam, etc... Hmmm. This kinda baffles me. How much does an intel Atom SoC cost? For a $7k upgrade and after spending nearly $100k on the car, they can't throw in a (being really generous here) $500 component? That's not to mention all of the time, effort and money Tesla has to spend on developing FSD support for a deprecated 2011 Tegra 3 ARM.

Does anyone have any insight on to why this is the way Tesla is handling this?

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Wow. Thanks.

Honestly that's really surprising. So for the FSD upgrade on my HW2 MCU1 MS, after spending $7k I would get the HW3 Tesla made FSD computer but would still be stuck with MCU1 and no Netflix, Games, full Sentry, Chromium, Dashcam, etc... Hmmm. This kinda baffles me. How much does an intel Atom SoC cost? For a $7k upgrade and after spending nearly $100k on the car, they can't throw in a (being really generous here) $500 component? That's not to mention all of the time, effort and money Tesla has to spend on developing FSD support for a deprecated 2011 Tegra 3 ARM.

FSD doesn't run on the MCU, so they aren't really doing much there that would be different than for AP2/2.5 support.

But the Infotainment Upgrade (MCU 2) upgrade costs $2,500, and includes way more than an Intel Atom SoC.

Wow. Thanks.

Full Sentry after you receive HW3 YES after the upgrade you receive the possibility to record events of Sentry

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
FSD doesn't run on the MCU, so they aren't really doing much there that would be different than for AP2/2.5 support.

But the Infotainment Upgrade (MCU 2) upgrade costs $2,500, and includes way more than an Intel Atom SoC.

From a software development POV they're doing tons. Just regression testing on each MCU for each baseline for each configuration has to be monumental. Think about it. Every time a software update is released instead of just testing it on MCU2 + HW3, they have to test it on MCU1 + HW3. I would imagine that testing software for a two ton machine that travels at 70+ MPH while containing humans is fairly intense. I understand that it's more than a SoC but it can't be cost effective and risk tolerant to have a 2011 computer with SD storage that is prone to failure and uses a completely different architecture and requires a completely different software baseline.

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong or maybe I'm just annoyed. Either way I'm unwilling to pay $7k for just the FSD and I'm unwilling to spend $2.5k for an Intel Atom SoC. Seems like a tall order considering how much we all have already spent.

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong or maybe I'm just annoyed. Either way I'm unwilling to pay $7k for just the FSD and I'm unwilling to spend $2.5k for an Intel Atom SoC. Seems like a tall order considering how much we all have already spent.

Nobody is making you buy either of those upgrades. (And the FSD options costs $8k now.)

Wow. Thanks.

Penny wise pound foolish.

Here in Massachusetts we have these speed limit signs that say "speed limit 25 citywide - unless otherwise posted".
Typically they are mounted on major roads close after you cross a town line or come off a highway. More often than not they are on roads where the speed limit is in fact otherwise noted with a higher limit.
upload_2020-9-3_12-46-22.png

I was pleasantly surprised that the speed limit detection properly ignored these signs whenever I went by one.
and yes, it did pick up all of the normal speed limit signs that I went by.

I tried a little searching, but only found older firmware posts for this one issue. I had my MY at the SC and it had the 2020.36 update sitting there overnight. So I upgraded it before I went to pick it up the next day. As I drove away, I realized about 10 miles down the road that the air wasn't cold blowing out. It was 88 degrees outside, I had to put the windows down. I then saw I was hitting the issue with "Climate keeper disabled due to system fault" and I couldn't control the climate from the phone app. When manually doing the climate in the car, the fan speed would increase, but it was all warm air. I was going to call the SC today, but after my MY went to sleep last night and I woke it, climate is working fine. I turned it on via the app, and when I got into the car it was cold. It is working now.

I'm thinking it's firmware related, seems buggy, and I've seen reports of this in older firmware. Just wondering if it was seen in 2020.36 yet.

Just to update, it's broken again. I'm going to see if it starts again after sleeping. I don't mind bugs, but not this one when it's 90 outside and sunny.

Anyone else having .36 issue with GPS?

GPS not working. Backward arrow when a block from my house.
1) Tried 2 finger reboot while driving. Didn't fix.
2) Stopped and did 2 finger reboot while holding brake. Didn't fix.
3) Did Power Off while in seat for 2+ minutes. Didn't fix.
4) Did Power Off while not in seat for 5+ minutes. Didn't fix.
5) My-Location.Org in web browser shows same bad location as cars nav map.

Also stoplight display no longer displays BUT the car will stop at stoplights.

Speed limit detector works great and mostly totally fixed my local roads (which were previously stuck at 30-35 instead of 45).
That said, the autopilot speed-change-response is weird. It goes from 40 to 44 as seen below. It's set to +5mph (40 in a 35) so it should go to 50mph. The 44 is from my autopilot speed setting of +9, but it's using +9 from the old speed limit (35), not the new one (45).

giphy (1).gif

Just got it and went for a test drive here in BC Canada. All works as advertised in release notes. I think they are holding back the reading the speed limit sign here as the only changes were the green light notification bingy and the easy to update cruise speed thingy. The release notes also didn't mention anything about the speed limit sign reading. Was there something about that in the release notes for the US?

@Webeevdrivers , you are correct, this was not deployed in Canada. Our USA friends do have an additional paragraph in the release notes. It's a tough job to have your AI image recognition system recognize all speed panels from all countries at once. It requires constructing a learning dataset, labelling images, creating a test dataset, verifying that there are no false positives etc. It is not a trivial job. They will surely onboard other countries as they prove the system works and they have time to augment the test data.

• Informative
Reactions: Webeevdrivers