Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A couple observations from this morning's driving that I welcome confirmation on:
1) It really only recognizes "vanilla" SPEED LIMIT signs, i.e., signs that are rectangular and white w/black lettering (USA standard). It ignores any sign that has extra text (my town has signs that say TOWN SPEED LIMIT in the correct color layout) as well as yellow advisory speed signs. I suppose this could make sense to simplify the NN training to just one sign type, but definitely limiting the functionality.
2) If it goes for awhile without seeing a sign and it becomes "unsure" (my word) of the speed (or it checks against the GPS database, I don't know), it just deletes the speed limit indication on the LEFT side altogether. Then it waits for a speed limit sign it can read before displaying the speed limit again. In other words, no more GPS-informed speed limit if it is relying on the signs.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
^^In cases like those, you do a 2-button reboot (in park, hold both steering wheel buttons down while applying the brake till it reboots - wait for Tesla logo).

Yes tried that a few times. It does work every time now after it wakes from sleep. Then after a while, it breaks again. When it's working, it's blowing cold air and I don't hear any "bad" noises other than the heatpump. So still sounds firmware related. Guess I'll wait for 36.1

2) If it goes for awhile without seeing a sign and it becomes "unsure" (my word) of the speed (or it checks against the GPS database, I don't know), it just deletes the speed limit indication on the LEFT side altogether. Then it waits for a speed limit sign it can read before displaying the speed limit again. In other words, no more GPS-informed speed limit if it is relying on the signs

The AP1 system did this for me whenever I had one as a loner. Even in recent firmwares.

A couple observations from this morning's driving that I welcome confirmation on:
1) It really only recognizes "vanilla" SPEED LIMIT signs, i.e., signs that are rectangular and white w/black lettering (USA standard). It ignores any sign that has extra text (my town has signs that say TOWN SPEED LIMIT in the correct color layout) as well as yellow advisory speed signs. I suppose this could make sense to simplify the NN training to just one sign type, but definitely limiting the functionality.
2) If it goes for awhile without seeing a sign and it becomes "unsure" (my word) of the speed (or it checks against the GPS database, I don't know), it just deletes the speed limit indication on the LEFT side altogether. Then it waits for a speed limit sign it can read before displaying the speed limit again. In other words, no more GPS-informed speed limit if it is relying on the signs.
In my opinion #1 is a good thing, not a limitation. I'd prefer for it only to respond to actual official speed limit signs. We have the signs with the town limit for unmarked roads all over and they are almost always on a roads with a faster speed limit. I wouldn't want it slowing down for those.

Obviously I don’t know about roads in MA, but this wouldn’t be an unmarked road if it had a speed limit sign. I’m pretty sure my town law enforcement wants me to slow down for the town signs.
Nope, the sign I posted earlier is typically located on all roads that cross over the town border, and all roads at the bottom of a highway exit ramp. The 25 mph speed listed is almost never the actual speed limit on those roads. It's more of a "hey welcome to our town if you wind up on a street without a sign the speed limit is 25"

In my opinion #1 is a good thing, not a limitation. I'd prefer for it only to respond to actual official speed limit signs. We have the signs with the town limit for unmarked roads all over and they are almost always on a roads with a faster speed limit. I wouldn't want it slowing down for those.
We found it ignored speed limit signs on curves. When we tested it on a road with nearly 90 degree turns and a 15 MPH speed limit, it didn't slow down at all and crossed over the double yellow line. It used to handle that location perfectly, slowing way down to handle the curves.

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: Char and hybridbear
We found it ignored speed limit signs on curves. When we tested it on a road with nearly 90 degree turns and a 15 MPH speed limit, it didn't slow down at all and crossed over the double yellow line. It used to handle that location perfectly, slowing way down to handle the curves.
I think this is a separate issue. I thought it was using it's knowledge of the curvature of the road when it slowed down for curves, not the suggested speed limit warnings. I'd see if they fix that behavior in the upcoming 36.X revisions.

2020.36 -
  • Increased the response time to driver infotainment and other some other features. Adjust your volume while driving with the steering wheel to measure it, but many functions have increased lag.
  • Seems to have reduced phantom braking. Based on situations and locations I've encountered PB in the past, they are so far (for me) eliminated.
  • They broke the Next Song / Previous Song steering wheel function when playing USB sticks. Note that exFAT now works for TeslaCam, but you still have to have a unique partition for music.

They are probably going to patch it quickly. The lag affects some safety related items as well.

we’re having this lag problem also. (Model S with FSD computer and MCU1). Wife is not pleased...

• Informative
Reactions: hybridbear
1) It really only recognizes "vanilla" SPEED LIMIT signs, i.e., signs that are rectangular and white w/black lettering (USA standard). It ignores any sign that has extra text (my town has signs that say TOWN SPEED LIMIT in the correct color layout)
Upon further testing, I have to amend this statement. It did recognize TOWN SPEED LIMIT signs and showed them as just SPEED LIMIT signs in the visualization, so I have to assume it would have changed speeds accordingly. I wasn’t able to actually test a speed change as I passed three of the same sign on the same road in my town, and no other speed was indicated in between.

... I wasn’t able to actually test a speed change as I passed three of the same sign on the same road in my town, and no other speed was indicated in between.
If the nav database (db) speed limit is different than the actual speed limit signs then you can just turn AP off and back on again to get the nav db speed limit ... when it sees the next sign it would adjust. I have a road near my house that is 40 but the nav db thinks it is 45. Thus with my +5 offset I can go 50 there until it sees the 40 mph speed limit physical sign and then it drops down to 45 mph IIRC.

MIGHT be coincidence but mine changed from 65 to 70 right at the sign today.

Plus it seems to move OUT of the passing lane again, albeit inconsistently. If there is a car behind you especially. And in one case of an impatient driver drafting me, it turned on the right signal before even clearing the semi.

I'm still observing the speed limit detection performance. Overall, the car seems to be behaving better.

2020.36 -
  • Increased the response time to driver infotainment and other some other features. Adjust your volume while driving with the steering wheel to measure it, but many functions have increased lag.
  • Seems to have reduced phantom braking. Based on situations and locations I've encountered PB in the past, they are so far (for me) eliminated.
  • They broke the Next Song / Previous Song steering wheel function when playing USB sticks. Note that exFAT now works for TeslaCam, but you still have to have a unique partition for music.

They are probably going to patch it quickly. The lag affects some safety related items as well.

I haven't noticed any increased lag regarding the infotainment, but I can confirm that it's phantom braking less for me as well. Still early to be absolutely sure, but so far so good.

• Love
Reactions: Char
I can still auto-parallel-park at intersections:

DDA40C5A-F1D3-4E63-889B-596011AD3A85.jpeg

The sign reading has been a huge win for me. My daily commute route has multiple spots where the GPS/maps have the wrong speed data and I have to turn off AP before it slams the breaks. As for the green light chime, I too find it's not 100%, but I find it fairly usable, especially for a v1. Seems to even work on turn lanes (it is supposed to?). Now if CalTrans could be bothered to paint lane lines on I-680, life would be wonderful.

<Off Topic>Seriously, have any of you been on the Sunol grade this week??? They resurfaced several miles of the southbound side, and didn't even put temporary lane markers. They tried to put in those little reflector tabs, but most have fallen off, and the few that remain are covered in tar... </Off Topic>

Observation. When on using AP (FSD) and I’m at a stoplight where I’m on a decline/downhill road? Car accelerates much slower (annoyingly so) than when taking off on level ground.
Anyone else notice?

Here in Massachusetts we have these speed limit signs that say "speed limit 25 citywide - unless otherwise posted".
Typically they are mounted on major roads close after you cross a town line or come off a highway. More often than not they are on roads where the speed limit is in fact otherwise noted with a higher limit.
View attachment 583967
I was pleasantly surprised that the speed limit detection properly ignored these signs whenever I went by one.
and yes, it did pick up all of the normal speed limit signs that I went by.

What does "Thickly Settled" mean?