Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.40.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2020.40.9 (Software Update) | Teslascope

This is still just a bug fix.

2020 is the year
40 is the week
.4/.8./.9 are bug fixes a/b testing etc.

When it’s a 3rd decimal changes it’s just tweaks so the release notes will NOT change. We have had 4 decimals but it’s rare.

While commonly that is the case, that is not always true for Tesla.

For example, 2019.32 had key fob security improvements, additional language support and status bar for software update. 2019.32.10 introduced public Ver. 10. I know it is an extreme example but there have been other instances that updates were added in an third decimal change (likely a feature that was going to be added in the initial week release, then pulled for some reason and added back in a third decimal change.)

[Although nothing looks like was added in 2020.40.9.]

2020.40.8 still has some old AP problems. It still sometimes takes an incorrect left-lane exit when driving in the HOV lane (did it today to me on northbound I-5). This was in NoA.

It still drifts into on-ramps as it passes them rather than guiding on the freeway lane line. It apparently tries to center the vehicle in the "lane" between the actual freeway lane boundary and the on-ramp boundary. WA state freeways don't use dashed line boundaries at on-ramps on the traffic side.

New issues include some bizarre behavior at metered freeway on-ramps. The AP software apparently doesn't correctly interpret the physical configuration of traffic lights and stop lines. I've observed my vehicle try to skip a turn at a metered on-ramp, taking off with the vehicle ahead (a large panel truck) instead of waiting for the next light cycle. I've also observed AP stop too far back from the stop line and not trigger some sensor near the stop line, so I get an extended wait for a green light. After waiting for more than a minute for a green light (significantly longer than the vehicle that had previously waited for a green light), I moved forward a bit closer to the stop line and got a green light. The traffic light configuration and stop line location at this on-ramp is a very common setup.

I would be interested in seeing how the new beta version of AP behaves on a metered on-ramp.

While commonly that is the case, that is not always true for Tesla.

For example, 2019.32 had key fob security improvements, additional language support and status bar for software update. 2019.32.10 introduced public Ver. 10. I know it is an extreme example but there have been other instances that updates were added in an third decimal change (likely a feature that was going to be added in the initial week release, then pulled for some reason and added back in a third decimal change.)

[Although nothing looks like was added in 2020.40.9.]

2020.40.7 also enabled additional range on the MY. Agree though, feature was probably in the 2020.40 release just disabled for some reason and later fixed in the 3rd digit change.

I must admit I almost never use AP as it simply doesn't work properly in German Autobahn traffic. It just acts too jerky or timid or overconfident depending on the situation. I never feel safe using it unless there is almost no traffic (which is extremely rare on our crowded roads).
Plus, speed limit recognition is terrible and has been from day one. I know that's not just a Tesla problem but a problem for any car navigation system using Google maps. It gets more limits wrong than correct. Even speed limits that have been in effect for years are not recognized or shown completely wrong. And as AP adjusts the speed according to what it believes is the correct speed limit, by using it I would have lost my driving license for speeding long ago.
Has no one in Germany got this problem on their Model 3?
By the way, mine was just updated to 2020.40.9 half an hour ago.

I must admit I almost never use AP as it simply doesn't work properly in German Autobahn traffic. It just acts too jerky or timid or overconfident depending on the situation. I never feel safe using it unless there is almost no traffic (which is extremely rare on our crowded roads).
Plus, speed limit recognition is terrible and has been from day one. I know that's not just a Tesla problem but a problem for any car navigation system using Google maps. It gets more limits wrong than correct. Even speed limits that have been in effect for years are not recognized or shown completely wrong. And as AP adjusts the speed according to what it believes is the correct speed limit, by using it I would have lost my driving license for speeding long ago.
Has no one in Germany got this problem on their Model 3?
By the way, mine was just updated to 2020.40.9 half an hour ago.

Can you see speed limit signs in your display on the right? You should, or Tesla's sign recognition isn't "reading" German speed limit signs.

On a short vacation and 2017 X is unlocking/locking every 30 seconds. It was flashing the lights, and folding/unfolding mirrors. Not sure if it is a 40.8 bug.
I turned off various options. Lights off, but still flashes parking lights. I turned off lock on walkaway (had exclude home checked). Turned off honk (chirp) on lock too as that was happening. It is pitch black where I'm staying and I'm sure the neighbors saw this earlier. Odd and annoying. Not sure if it happened yesterday. I am parked pointed downhill (driveway) vs yesterday of backing in. Would not seem related.

FYI, if I pointed the car 'uphill' then the bug above did not occur. Below is taken with the camera level (Android phone app has built in degrees level and I made sure it was 0 for this pict).

ZLn5bjc.jpg

Since installing 2020.40.9 I've noticed that the estimated range at 100% as reported by TeslaFi hasn't changed (to within .01 of a mile) over the past 3 charges.
This says to me that they've played around with the bms algorithm between 40.8 and 40.9.
I've never had identical ranges between charges before. This is too much of a coincidence

It’s still changeable through the right steering wheel ball. Press it left or right to change distance. It’s been removed from the AP menu for some reason.
I noticed this too, I took the car out last night and it was following far too close. Are you saying just move the right steering wheel ball and the car will adjust distance to lead car on a more granular scale? I'll try that out later I think.

I noticed this too, I took the car out last night and it was following far too close. Are you saying just move the right steering wheel ball and the car will adjust distance to lead car on a more granular scale? I'll try that out later I think.
It's the same scale as what was on the screen 1-7(?). Each click goes up or down one.

[edit] That is right/left, not the wheel

Last edited: