Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
GLOVIS CAPTAIN is now underway on her 8,100 nm journey to Zeebrugge.
She is no stranger to the route - she was the 1st ship in 2019 to do it and repeated it again in Feb 20.
She is a standard 'Panamax" sized ship - designed to fit the original Panama Canal locks, so narrower than the GLOVIS SUN and GLOVIS SPLENDOR. She is fractionally larger than the GRAND DAHLIA.
There is no significant weather enroute noted at the moment although negotiating the Caribbean at the peak of the hurricane season has potential to disrupt the journey.
GLOVIS CAPTAIN is the 3rd ship that is currently at sea enroute to Europe with Model 3s at the moment.

Having said all that, her route out of the San Francisco Bay is concerning. At 15 kts too!

GRAND DAHLIA has continued to make excellent progress travelling 431nm since midday yesterday. She is off the S Mexican coast near the border of Guatamala. I envisage she will conduct her Panama Canal transit on Sunday. She will use the old Panama Canal locks unllike GLOVIS SUN. There is still time to enter the GRAND DAHLIA Competition. ETA Zeebrugge 15 Aug.
Mr M - Can you update us on how many hours until she arrives in Panama? And what does it mean that she will use the "old" lock instead of the one the SUN used?

Thank you for your big help keeping us sane in this process!!

Mr M - Can you update us on how many hours until she arrives in Panama? And what does it mean that she will use the "old" lock instead of the one the SUN used?

Thank you for your big help keeping us sane in this process!!

More detail on the Panama Canal locks on Sunday when the GRAND DAHLIA goes through. She will use the 'old' locks too.
GLOVIS CAPTAIN will arrive at the Panama Canal on 8 August.

More detail on the Panama Canal locks on Sunday when the GRAND DAHLIA goes through. She will use the 'old' locks too.
GLOVIS CAPTAIN will arrive at the Panama Canal on 8 August.
Was asking about GRAND DAHLIA, as she have a ETA: 2020-08-01 10:00 LT (UTC -5) for Panama, according to MarineTraffic: Global Ship Tracking Intelligence | AIS Marine Traffic - But is her slot for passing through first on sunday?, sorry if I missed this information some where in the thread.

Was asking about GRAND DAHLIA, as she have a ETA: 2020-08-01 10:00 LT (UTC -5) for Panama, according to MarineTraffic: Global Ship Tracking Intelligence | AIS Marine Traffic - But is her slot for passing through first on sunday?, sorry if I missed this information some where in the thread.

Her arrival time at Balboa is slightly unusual.
The northbound wave that our ships normally take starts in the small hours daily and so I am expecting her to transit on Sunday morning (Local time)
I'd be very happy for that to be wrong though.

GLOVIS SUN Continues on track and is now slightly ahead on time. Her midday UTC position is shown on the chart below. She is still maintaining 18 kts with by my calculations 1856 nm to go. I reckon she has accumulated a good 6 hour buffer.
As far as the GLOVIS SUN competition is concerned, we have a direct hit! Congratulations to @Tesl4z00l who chose square S6 two weeks ago. He wins nothing but respect from me! He knocked @LongRanger into 2nd place and @Roy W. and @Alistairuk into 3rd =. (These last two are obviously keeping their powder dry in the GRAND DAHLIA competition as they have yet to enter!) Anyway felicidades to @Tesl4z00l.

GLOVIS SUN Atlantic Progress.png

GRAND DAHLIA Her midday position is marked below. I expect her to transit the canal on Sunday. Enter the competition here. The competition closes as soon as she enters the locks.

Screenshot 2020-07-31 at 13.52.41.png

GLOVIS CAPTAIN left Pier 80 a few hours ago and is now heading south to the Panama Canal. She is expected to arrive there on 8 August.

GLOVIS SPLENDOR. She is across the Bay at Benicia and is expected to commence loading on Monday. I expect her to come to Europe too.

Next ship. Hopefully more news on that later today....

GLOVIS SUN Continues on track and is now slightly ahead on time. Her midday UTC position is shown on the chart below. She is still maintaining 18 kts with by my calculations 1856 nm to go. I reckon she has accumulated a good 6 hour buffer.
As far as the GLOVIS SUN competition is concerned, we have a direct hit! Congratulations to @Tesl4z00l who chose square S6 two weeks ago. He wins nothing but respect from me! He knocked @LongRanger into 2nd place and @Roy W. and @Alistairuk into 3rd =. (These last two are obviously keeping their powder dry in the GRAND DAHLIA competition as they have yet to enter!) Anyway felicidades to @Tesl4z00l.

View attachment 570924
GRAND DAHLIA Her midday position is marked below. I expect her to transit the canal on Sunday. Enter the competition here. The competition closes as soon as she enters the locks.

View attachment 570926
GLOVIS CAPTAIN left Pier 80 a few hours ago and is now heading south to the Panama Canal. She is expected to arrive there on 8 August.

GLOVIS SPLENDOR. She is across the Bay at Benicia and is expected to commence loading on Monday. I expect her to come to Europe too.

Trust me, i won the big prize, my first baby just born today hahah

View attachment 570924

View attachment 570926

I really enjoyed that competition. Thanks for doing this.
Would you be able to post a graphical form of the results including the grid. Maybe the individual entries.
I could do that but I don't want to walk your side of the street. My graphics skills are also somewhat deficient.