Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla contacted me today 17.8.2020. My car is ready for pickup at 19.8.2020. So my initial estimate time for pickup was moved and car arrived for Finland ahead its schedule. :)

Maybe this is useful information to you Mr Miserable ? Seems GRAND DAHLIA had my car.
I believe Glovis SUN had your car, mine was on DAHLIA and is first available for delivery on 25-08-2020 in Denmark - Which should be faster than Finland IMO. I might be wrong though.

The latest San Francisco Port Schedule has been published !

It confirms that both the GRAND PEARL and DONINGTON are no longer coming to Pier 80, which is disappointing, however it does forecast a veritable flotilla pitching up.

The shocker is K. ASIAN BEAUTY which is scheduled to arrive on 4 Sep to commence loading and she is heading to Europe! The loading of this ship will have to be super fast and she will need to high tail it all the way and even then I still think we are looking at 26 Sep at best at Zeebrugge. Perhaps Tesla will repeat the ‘pick up at the dock ‘ delivery that was very successful in Amsterdam at the end of last year. I’m a little surprised that K.ASIAN BEAUTY is doing the EU run because it is quite a small ship however I suppose it will be quick to load/unload.

Before then, we have no less than 4 other ships to fit in.

17 Aug GLOVIS SIGMA (to EU)

21 Aug GLOVIS CHALLENGE

24 Aug GLOVIS CLIPPER

29 Aug GLOVIS SUNLIGHT

So that is 2 more ships to Europe and no less than 3 more to the Far East! Those Q3 figures are looking good if there are customers for all these cars.

BTW I am assuming 3 to the Far East on the basis that I can’t find these ships featuring on any European port schedules or timetables however this last week has seen lots of major changes to schedules and certainly not all of them have been fully disseminated yet.

Reactions: Roy W.
GLOVIS CAPTAIN continues on track and is on time to arrive at Zeebrugge on 21 Aug

GLOVIS CAPTAIN Atlantic Progress Aug 20.png

RCC ASIA has maintained her high speed and will arrive at the entrance to the Panama Canal tomorrow night. I expect her to transit the canal on Wednesday morning. Until, then the RCC ASIA competition is still open - enter here.

Screenshot 2020-08-17 at 18.42.58.png

GLOVIS SIGMA will arrive alongside Pier 80 later. I expect her to come to Europe ETA 11 Sep

Newly launched Black Sky satellites can take pictures of ports, and identify ship speed and cargo. Not sure what these images cost, but snapping images of the Model 3 cars on the dock in San Francisco prior to loading seems like a good use case. Anyone care to check into pricing?

TechCrunch: BlackSky’s latest satellites return images just 58 hours after SpaceX launch.
BlackSky’s latest satellites return images just 58 hours after SpaceX launch – TechCrunch

• Informative
Reactions: XHabjab
Newly launched Black Sky satellites can take pictures of ports, and identify ship speed and cargo. Not sure what these images cost, but snapping images of the Model 3 cars on the dock in San Francisco prior to loading seems like a good use case. Anyone care to check into pricing?

TechCrunch: BlackSky’s latest satellites return images just 58 hours after SpaceX launch.
BlackSky’s latest satellites return images just 58 hours after SpaceX launch – TechCrunch

Like this you mean?

• Funny
Reactions: XHabjab
So how long to the uk now?
Going by the teslaownersgroup(uk) rough timeline after arriving is 5 days build time and another 5 days before arriving in the UK (with collection from the following week).

So roughly arriving in the UK around the 22nd with collection from the week after (for those arriving in Tilburg on the 12th).

NB. These times were originally post for 2017, depending on what changes Tesla have made in the last 3 years, your mileage may vary.

Going by the teslaownersgroup(uk) rough timeline after arriving is 5 days build time and another 5 days before arriving in the UK (with collection from the following week).

So roughly arriving in the UK around the 22nd with collection from the week after (for those arriving in Tilburg on the 12th).

NB. These times were originally post for 2017, depending on what changes Tesla have made in the last 3 years, your mileage may vary.

Thanks to @Vedaprime I've just found out my S was on the Iowa and indeed arrived at Tilburg on the 12th. I've had no contact from anyone at Tesla so suspect there is a delay in getting the cars across. The battery packs and motors are shipped separately from the car and it's been known for them to not even be on the same ship o_O.

Reactions: Vedaprime
Tesla called to say they have my VIN and it will arrive by 12th September ready for pickup soon after. I think they are unaware of the recent schedule change in my opinion....

There have been numerous schedule changes in the last week or so. GLOVIS SUN is loading at Southampton at the moment and is due to arrive 14 Sep. I still think this is the best bet for you. GLOVIS CAPTAIN is your next best arriving 24 Sep.

Reactions: Dragunov
Thanks to @Vedaprime I've just found out my S was on the Iowa and indeed arrived at Tilburg on the 12th. I've had no contact from anyone at Tesla so suspect there is a delay in getting the cars across. The battery packs and motors are shipped separately from the car and it's been known for them to not even be on the same ship o_O.

I would expect the GLOVIS CAPTAIN to be used for the Zeebrugge - Southampton leg, and so we are looking at 24 Aug in to the UK.

• Informative
Reactions: DJP31
GLOVIS CAPTAIN is getting closer. Her midday position is shown below. She has about 1050 nm to go and is on track to arrive in Zeebrugge on Friday morning. I expect her to come to Southampton next but so far she hasn’t appeared on the Southampton board, and so I think we are looking at 24 Aug. This actually would tie-in with a Sunday night Zeebrugge departure and her subsequent schedule to the Middle East.

GLOVIS CAPTAIN Atlantic Progress Aug 20.png

RCC ASIA continues to race towards the canal entrance. She will arrive there later tonight and will hopefully commence her canal transit early tomorrow morning. ETA Zeebrugge 31 Aug. Of concern at the moment is the weather in the Caribbean with 2 areas that are being monitored for development into Tropical Storms, one of which has real potential to progress into a Hurricane. I will post separately about the canal transit later today. Remember the competition for RCC ASIA will close as soon as she enters the locks early tomorrow morning and so I suggest you enter today.

Screenshot 2020-08-18 at 12.41.47.png

GLOVIS SIGMA is now alongside Pier 80 (there is an unusual amount of tug activity around her at the moment - I don't know the reason why). I’m not sure when she will depart exactly however it will be before Friday because that is when GLOVIS CHALLENGE is due to start loading. I’m expecting GLOVIS SIGMA to come to EU with a rough ETA of 10 or 11 Sep.

GLOVIS CHALLENGE will commence loading on Friday. This could be another ship to Japan as my Fremont correspondent reports that Fremont is producing lots of RHD cars at the moment and I can’t see all of them being for the UK market.

The Panama Canal provides a shortcut for shipping travelling from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean and vice-versa. Instead of having to route to the south of South America and then back up a distance of about 5000 nm the canal offers a mere 50 mile transit. This comes at a price, calculated by a complicated formula, designed to maximise revenue to the canal operators. The original canal opened in 1914 and was an immediate success. In the first year it handled about 1000 ships and by 2008 it was handling nearly 15,000. These figures alone don’t tell the whole story because ships were getting bigger and bigger and one of the limits to the size of ships was the size of the locks in the Panama Canal. Ships that were built to fit (just) into the locks were described as Panamax ships. That is why so many cruise ships, container ships and car carriers are 32.3m wide and have a draft of under 12.6m.

The expansion of global trade and the increase in shipping meant that the canal was becoming a bottleneck with frequent delays and queues of ships waiting to transit. Fees for queue jumping became ever more expensive and ever more necessary to avoid delays. Alternatives to the canal were seriously being considered eg the NW passage and a number of alternative canal routes that avoided Panama completely. Panama relies on the income from the canal and could not afford for any of the alternatives plans to be viable and so the plan for the expansion to the existing canal system was commenced in 2007 and completed in 2016. This introduced two new sets of locks built parallel to the existing locks. Significantly, they allow ships up to 366m long, 49m wide and with a draft of up to 15m to transit the canal. The new locks are of a modern design which use much less water and are regarded as safer and more reliable too.

So a Panamax ship like RCC ASIA can use the old locks - Miraflores, Pedro Miguel and Gatun locks to transit whereas bigger ships like GLOVIS SUN and GLOVIS SIGMA have to use the new locks at Cocoli and Agua Clara.

The canal is big business and so is generally a pretty slick operation entirely dependent on how much you have paid. The Tesla ships are normally booked in several weeks in advance and are given a pretty high priority. Delays of more than 24 hours are rare and normally we can expect the ships to start their northbound transit in the small hours of the morning and be in the Caribbean around 8 hours later.

There are webcams at the locks so you can see a ship going through. The links to the webcams are here.

For RCC ASIA, I expect her to be at Miraflores around 7am UK time tomorrow, Pedro Miguel around 9am UK time and Gatun locks around 14:00 UK time. By the time she reaches Gatun it will be daylight.

CFABBFA9-7989-4D9F-82B9-FDBE12EFEE8A-1.png

Thanks to @Mister J for posting this graphic.

Reactions: Mister J
GLOVIS CAPTAIN is getting closer. Her midday position is shown below. She has about 1050 nm to go and is on track to arrive in Zeebrugge on Friday morning. I expect her to come to Southampton next but so far she hasn’t appeared on the Southampton board, and so I think we are looking at 24 Aug. This actually would tie-in with a Sunday night Zeebrugge departure and her subsequent schedule to the Middle East.

View attachment 577719

RCC ASIA continues to race towards the canal entrance. She will arrive there later tonight and will hopefully commence her canal transit early tomorrow morning. ETA Zeebrugge 31 Aug. Of concern at the moment is the weather in the Caribbean with 2 areas that are being monitored for development into Tropical Storms, one of which has real potential to progress into a Hurricane. I will post separately about the canal transit later today. Remember the competition for RCC ASIA will close as soon as she enters the locks early tomorrow morning and so I suggest you enter today.

View attachment 577720

GLOVIS SIGMA is now alongside Pier 80 (there is an unusual amount of tug activity around her at the moment - I don't know the reason why). I’m not sure when she will depart exactly however it will be before Friday because that is when GLOVIS CHALLENGE is due to start loading. I’m expecting GLOVIS SIGMA to come to EU with a rough ETA of 10 or 11 Sep.

GLOVIS CHALLENGE will commence loading on Friday. This could be another ship to Japan as my Fremont correspondent reports that Fremont is producing lots of RHD cars at the moment and I can’t see all of them being for the UK market.

Hey! thanks for the rich thread!

I was called by Tesla Dubai, UAE, Middle East office, and informed that my car should be ready for pick up on the 15th of Sept.

I saw this post, and I wonder if you think this is the vessel that contains the cars aimed for Dubai Tesla market that's supposed to be ready for delivery by the 15th of Sept?

thank you!