Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to the San Francisco Chronicle the GLOVIS SIGMA departs to S Korea tomorrow.
No surprise really but it does mean that GRAND MARK is more likely to be EU bound when it departs (at guess on 1st Feb meaning arrival at Zeebrugge around 22 Feb).
It's the next ship which is the interesting one. I have been predicting it to be the BROOKLANDS for some time and also I have been sticking my neck out by saying its coming to the EU. Its a big ship and if it is to be fully loaded it will take longer than normal to load. It is also running a little late after being held up waiting for a berth at Balboa, Panama.
It will also have to use the new canal locks in Panama as it's much too wide for the old canal.

According to the San Francisco Chronicle the GLOVIS SIGMA departs to S Korea tomorrow.
No surprise really but it does mean that GRAND MARK is more likely to be EU bound when it departs (at guess on 1st Feb meaning arrival at Zeebrugge around 22 Feb).
It's the next ship which is the interesting one. I have been predicting it to be the BROOKLANDS for some time and also I have been sticking my neck out by saying its coming to the EU. Its a big ship and if it is to be fully loaded it will take longer than normal to load. It is also running a little late after being held up waiting for a berth at Balboa, Panama.
It will also have to use the new canal locks in Panama as it's much too wide for the old canal.

So if I was told to expect a start of April delivery, would that mean it'll be on the Brooklands ship if all has gone well? I ordered a M3P in Black on January 9th.

I would not expect any deliveries at all at the beginning of April - that is not how the Tesla business model works. The idea is to get paid for cars in the same quarter as they are produced so a car built in Q1 (Jan - Mar) needs to be sold by the end of Mar. So a car built in Q2 will need to be sold by 31 May. Shipping adds 3-4 weeks. This is why it is feast or famine with Tesla with hectic deliveries at the end of the quarter and zero at the beginning of a quarter.

So you are much much more likely to get an end of March delivery than early April.
I reckon there will be 7 boatloads to EU this quarter - so plenty of opportunities for your M3P.

When contacting Tesla for updates, when is too often? :D I last had a message from them a week ago regarding having the referral code added to my order. I emailed them on Monday morning asking if there had been any update on my order and if it had been VIN matched yet. Seeing as there's no reply yet, is it 'naggy' of me to phone them up and ask in person? All the emails I get state "we'll be in touch when there's news" but I hate waiting in the dark...

I would not expect any deliveries at all at the beginning of April - that is not how the Tesla business model works. The idea is to get paid for cars in the same quarter as they are produced so a car built in Q1 (Jan - Mar) needs to be sold by the end of Mar. So a car built in Q2 will need to be sold by 31 May. Shipping adds 3-4 weeks. This is why it is feast or famine with Tesla with hectic deliveries at the end of the quarter and zero at the beginning of a quarter.

So you are much much more likely to get an end of March delivery than early April.
I reckon there will be 7 boatloads to EU this quarter - so plenty of opportunities for your M3P.

.... which will be at odds with requirements of many UK customers... as with the change in BIK rates, many will no doubt refuse/delay delivery prior to 6th April because of unwanted tax charges should they pick them up before this.

Wonder if Tesla will take this into account with the end of quarter deliveries this year.... after all they have done this in other markets e.g. in the Netherlands when their tax breaks changed....

.... which will be at odds with requirements of many UK customers... as with the change in BIK rates, many will no doubt refuse/delay delivery prior to 6th April because of unwanted tax charges should they pick them up before this.

Wonder if Tesla will take this into account with the end of quarter deliveries this year.... after all they have done this in other markets e.g. in the Netherlands when their tax breaks changed....

The Dutch situation fitted nicely with Tesla in that all cars had to be registered by the end of the quarter. It was mutually beneficial. This would not be the case with the intro of the 0% BIK. I can't see them wanting to skew their Q1 figures full stop. They would much rather have a big delivery in May.

When contacting Tesla for updates, when is too often? :D I last had a message from them a week ago regarding having the referral code added to my order. I emailed them on Monday morning asking if there had been any update on my order and if it had been VIN matched yet. Seeing as there's no reply yet, is it 'naggy' of me to phone them up and ask in person? All the emails I get state "we'll be in touch when there's news" but I hate waiting in the dark...

You need to get into the habit of checking your account for the hidden VIN every hour like every other Tesla buyer! See other threads on this irrational behaviour and how to do it. See also how wonderful Tesla are at feedback during the ordering process, or not!

• Funny
Reactions: Jez_GB and Martin J
The Dutch situation fitted nicely with Tesla in that all cars had to be registered by the end of the quarter. It was mutually beneficial. This would not be the case with the intro of the 0% BIK. I can't see them wanting to skew their Q1 figures full stop. They would much rather have a big delivery in May.

My understanding of the BIK bit is that you only pay BIK for the days in which you had the car, so paying a few days of BIK isn't likely to be a big deal I'd have thought. Much preferred to declining a car only to then go to the back of the queue for however many weeks or months

Reactions: ringi
You need to get into the habit of checking your account for the hidden VIN every hour like every other Tesla buyer! See other threads on this irrational behaviour and how to do it. See also how wonderful Tesla are at feedback during the ordering process, or not!

The problem I have is that I can't; I ordered via NHS Fleet Solutions, whom then tell Leaseplan to log into Tesla.com and order a car. I've no idea what account they use, and when I ask Leaseplan for access they just ask for the vehicle reg. The whole process is ridiculous and I'm left in the dark whilst the three parties just cast blame at each other.

I've asked leaseplan to ask Tesla to transfer the car/RN over the the Tesla account that I created but it has not yet been done, so of course there is no hidden vin appearing via the plugin or buy manually inspecting the source code; there are no products assigned to this 'blank' account, as it was not the account that was used to order the car. :(

The problem I have is that I can't; I ordered via NHS Fleet Solutions, whom then tell Leaseplan to log into Tesla.com and order a car. I've no idea what account they use, and when I ask Leaseplan for access they just ask for the vehicle reg. The whole process is ridiculous and I'm left in the dark whilst the three parties just cast blame at each other.

I've asked leaseplan to ask Tesla to transfer the car/RN over the the Tesla account that I created but it has not yet been done, so of course there is no hidden vin appearing via the plugin or buy manually inspecting the source code; there are no products assigned to this 'blank' account, as it was not the account that was used to order the car. :(

Others have ordered, paid the deposit and then handed the RN over to the broker who then hands it over to the leasing co. Apparently you get full visibility (or at least as much visibility as a cash buyer, which is not much) of the process. Your deposit is refunded after delivery. Can't testify to this but it's what I've gathered from the relevent threads on this forum.

Others have ordered, paid the deposit and then handed the RN over to the broker who then hands it over to the leasing co. Apparently you get full visibility (or at least as much visibility as a cash buyer, which is not much) of the process. Your deposit is refunded after delivery. Can't testify to this but it's what I've gathered from the relevent threads on this forum.
None of that was an option for me. It's a case of sign in to nhsfleetsolutions.co.uk, punch in my salary, tax code, and the car/spec I want and it generates a salary sacrifice quote. I accept, it goes to my HR person, she accepts, and the car is "on order". It's then, apparently, a crazy email driven method of ordering the car on my behalf via a generic Purchase Order to Tesla. I'm not involved at all except for being given an RN. It's seriously frustrating just being told by everyone involved to wait and we'll be in touch...

None of that was an option for me. It's a case of sign in to nhsfleetsolutions.co.uk, punch in my salary, tax code, and the car/spec I want and it generates a salary sacrifice quote. I accept, it goes to my HR person, she accepts, and the car is "on order". It's then, apparently, a crazy email driven method of ordering the car on my behalf via a generic Purchase Order to Tesla. I'm not involved at all except for being given an RN. It's seriously frustrating just being told by everyone involved to wait and we'll be in touch...
To be honest even if you had access to the account etc, you still won't be any wiser. They give you no information or predicted timescales. the only advantage you'll get is you can check see if a hidden VIN appears, but even that has no guarantees on timescales from that point. the whole process is to leave you completely in the dark until they text you a delivery date. I've had my current lease on a rolling contract since November as I still can't plan when the car will arrive, even though I now have a VIN.

Anyway, this is veering away from shipping movements and should probably continue in here Model 3 Orders and Deliveries

Reactions: AnnaSophia

I’m in the same boat (no pun intended). Ordered 15/10 with lease company and just get fortnightly email saying ‘Early February’. Been given the RN and am trying to get it assigned to my Tesla account but frustrating. Checking this thread every day - becoming obsessed!

I’m in the same boat (no pun intended). Ordered 15/10 with lease company and just get fortnightly email saying ‘Early February’. Been given the RN and am trying to get it assigned to my Tesla account but frustrating. Checking this thread every day - becoming obsessed!

According to Tesla, this is not possible until a driver profile is created. Utter rubbish, considering they have a system in place for converting accounts over to people.

My understanding of the BIK bit is that you only pay BIK for the days in which you had the car, so paying a few days of BIK isn't likely to be a big deal I'd have thought. Much preferred to declining a car only to then go to the back of the queue for however many weeks or months

I think that's correct - I guess whether you accept earlier delivery depends on how early a delivery it is and your tax rate.

e.g. for a M3P and a higher rate tax payer I calculate the tax cost of early delivery is just under £10 per day before 6th April 2020 (16% BIK rate / 40% tax / £56,435 P11d) - perhaps a small cost to avoid being put to the back of the queue - especially if there are then no early Q2 deliveries as historically suggested.

• Love
Reactions: Artiste and ringi