Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Mr Miserable will the Challenge take the same route as the Cosmos i.e. Zee and then on to Southampton or will the cars be transported a different way as has happened in the past?

No as I posted before, the Challenge is due to pick up some VWs at Emden on 20 Feb so I don't think so.
It also hasn't appeared on the Southampton port schedule.

UPDATE
Actually I told a porky, The Challenge is due in to Southampton on 24 Feb but I think this visit is not Tesla associated. It will have already loaded in Emden & Bremerhaven and then its off to Baltimore.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Good Evans
so... some theories ....

Cosmos may have a higher proportion of UK RHD vehicles than LHD for Netherlands/Germany demand, it certainly did not raise up that much in the water after Zeebrugge docking.

Challenge may be the opposite (or not as the case may be)

Grand Mark ... not sure on forecast schedule of ports

Brooklands ... same

Do we know how long Cosmos has at Southampton ? - may have already been stated.

so... some theories ....

Cosmos may have a higher proportion of UK RHD vehicles than LHD for Netherlands/Germany demand, it certainly did not raise up that much in the water after Zeebrugge docking.

Challenge may be the opposite (or not as the case may be)

Grand Mark ... not sure on forecast schedule of ports

Brooklands ... same

Do we know how long Cosmos has at Southampton ? - may have already been stated.
Cosmos moves to another dock at 4 this afternoon to load for its Middle East run.
BROOKLANDS will have lots of cars - it's very big and was loading for over 3 days. It's due into Southampton on 6 Mar but hopefully that date may move left

No as I posted before, the Challenge is due to pick up some VWs at Emden on 20 Feb so I don't think so.
It also hasn't appeared on the Southampton port schedule.

UPDATE
Actually I told a porky, The Challenge is due in to Southampton on 24 Feb but I think this visit is not Tesla associated. It will have already loaded in Emden & Bremerhaven and then its off to Baltimore.
Ah I do remember that! if the Southampton stop is not Tesla related i guess the RHD cars will make their way to these shores by alternative methods.

.. been playing around with calcs on shipping weights and data from Southampton arrival/post-unload for Cosmos

Best I can come up with for Glovis Cosmos on very limited info is

Up to 1700 LHD vehicles unloaded at Zeebrugge

Up to 1700 RHD vehicles being unloaded at Southampton today

Assumption of 1000 cars going to Dubai

Gives 4400 Model 3's on the Cosmos this time around, assuming 50 percent are SR+ and the rest split between LR and P

Cosmos is rated at 6070 "Average vehicle units" overall capacity from a source on the Hyundai-Glovis website.

Due to these vehicles being obviously heavier than a standard "small saloon shipping unit" (thanks @Mr Miserable), these number start to get more reasonable compared to the theoretical 6070, as each car is on average 1750 kilos compared to 1300-1400 for a "small saloon"

If we said a boat of the Cosmos size was roughly 4500 vehicles max we might not be too far off. At least not a completely impossible margin of error.

Reactions: Mr Miserable
First post from me :)
I ordered an M3 LR Black/Black on 26/1/20 (cash with a part-ex) for collection at Solihull. The hidden VIN appeared yesterday so I gave Tesla a call this afternoon. They confirmed I had a car allocated, described the shipping process (via Zeebrugge etc) and that I should expect delivery in the first half of March. I asked which ship I was on and I was told, a bit hesitantly, it was the Morning Cara. That would tally with the VINs being allocated not long after leaving SF.

I ordered an M3 LR Black/Black on 26/1/20 (cash with a part-ex) for collection at Solihull. The hidden VIN appeared yesterday so I gave Tesla a call this afternoon. They confirmed I had a car allocated, described the shipping process (via Zeebrugge etc) and that I should expect delivery in the first half of March. I asked which ship I was on and I was told, a bit hesitantly, it was the Morning Cara. That would tally with the VINs being allocated not long after leaving SF.

I thought about moving my collection to Solihull, but the sales advisors there told me to pick up at Birmingham as I would have a better Tesla experience.

Lucky you! :(

Ordered M3P blue / white on 25/1, hidden vin appeared today! I’m also assuming Morning Cara. Looking at shipping timings hoping for a middle of March for delivery. That will be about 8 week delivery time. I don’t think that is too bad, we waited 12 weeks for a Citroen ds3.
Will call tomorrow to try and confirm the vin.

As the GLOVIS COSMOS bring smiles to some patient Model 3 buyers in the UK, the GLOVIS CHALLENGE is making best speed to try and beat Storm Dennis with an ETA at Zeebrugge now of 17:00 on Sat 15 Feb.

Meanwhile at Pier 80, ASIAN KING arrived to load up. No indication yet when it will be leaving, or to where. I would be surprised however if it were to EU. This is the 3rd visit by this ship and on both previous occasions it went to the Far East. The GLOVIS CAPTAIN due in on Fri 21 Feb is certainly EU bound.
The MORNING CATHERINE will then make a return visit and probably head off to Korea.

Finding the next ship is proving to be a challenge. I have a list of about 12 suspects, of which 8 are transient, but one that it is on top of my list is GRAND DAHLIA. It's currently chugging up the west coast of S. America and the timing looks right. It has form in that it did the Zeebrugge run twice last year. We'll see.

So for those people like me wanting to make the most of the new BIK rules and hoping for an April delivery (I requested no earlier than 6th April), it looks like GLOVIS CAPTAIN or GRAND DAHLIA (if EU bound) seem to be the most likely ships