Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A little early on the position report day not only because of a delightful Sunday lunch in the offing but because SILVER RAY is racing up the channel at 19kts. She is presently just 30 miles south of Selsey Bill and with just 150 miles to go she will be docking in Zeebrugge tonight.
She is due to leave for Southampton tomorrow at 16:00, so just a partial unload. She will arrive in Southampton on Tuesday morning (not Wednesday - my mistake) but will not leave until Wednesday evening. Now a lot of cars can be unloaded in that time and rumour has it 1600 are due .....

Meanwhile, 300 nautical miles north west of the Azores the GRAND VENUS continues to progress at 16.8 kts. She now has 1491 nm to go and the weather is looking good for the remainder of her voyage.

And so to lunch... hic....

GV Atlantic Progress.png

Based on this latest itinerary, it's looking much more likely that SILVER RAY is full of Model 3s?

What does that mean? That the cars were shipped across the US to load on at New York? Is that a new route for Tesla to ship Model 3s to the EU?

Do you have an idea on 'Alongside to collection' timescales? In theory, I guess you could deliver a car on the same day that it's driven down the ramp from the boat, but it seems unlikely that the process is that efficient?

Collection of my M3LR is scheduled for the morning of the 23rd. Based on a sensible timescale for unloading, transporting to Birmingham, PDI, etc. it seems more likely that the car is on SILVER RAY than GRAND VENUS?

Important, but OT question; Beef, lamb, pork or chicken?

Last edited:
Would be interested to know the average CO2 per vehicle shipped assuming an average shipment size and journey duration.
These engines and the method of shipment are reasonably efficient in terms of CO2. They are just horrible polluters, mostly due to the lack of emission controls and the raw fuel they use. If you cherry pick the right numbers, they are thousands of times more polluting than rail.

Would be interested to know the average CO2 per vehicle shipped assuming an average shipment size and journey duration.

Here you go, some numbers;

Sea fairer: Maritime transport and CO2 emissions - OECD Observer

Shipping 10-15 grams per tonne-kilometre
Rail 19-41 g/tkm
Trucking 51-91 g/tkm
Aviation 673-867 g/tkm

I think the average for shipping will be based on container ships, which are a far more efficient shipping method than car transporters, so they're probably at the very top end of the 15 g/tkm, if not higher.

So, based on a Model 3 weighing 1.8 tonnes, and the journey being approx. 8000 nautical miles, or 15000 km, you're maybe looking at around 405,000 grams, or 405 kg of CO2!

If an average car produces 120 g/km, that's equivalent to around 3400 km or 2100 miles.

As discussed in the article, efficient yes, but still a massive amount of pollution globally, due to the scale of the industry.

Mr. M may well be able to put me straight on some of the numbers above....

So what are the implications of Silver Ray potentially dropping off a bunch of M3s in the next few days, ahead of Grand Venus?

As far as I have seen, the majority of outstanding orders have deliveries scheduled in w/c 22 June (i.e. the week after this one). Do we think these are Silver Ray or Grand Venus cars? Does it take a week to get the cars to collection points? Could we have a bunch of earlier collections made available? Questions, questions!

Reactions: EVMeister
Here you go, some numbers;

Sea fairer: Maritime transport and CO2 emissions - OECD Observer

Shipping 10-15 grams per tonne-kilometre
Rail 19-41 g/tkm
Trucking 51-91 g/tkm
Aviation 673-867 g/tkm

I think the average for shipping will be based on container ships, which are a far more efficient shipping method than car transporters, so they're probably at the very top end of the 15 g/tkm, if not higher.

So, based on a Model 3 weighing 1.8 tonnes, and the journey being approx. 8000 nautical miles, or 15000 km, you're maybe looking at around 405,000 grams, or 405 kg of CO2!

If an average car produces 120 g/km, that's equivalent to around 3400 km or 2100 miles.

As discussed in the article, efficient yes, but still a massive amount of pollution globally, due to the scale of the industry.

Mr. M may well be able to put me straight on some of the numbers above....

Great info thanks, assume the weight of the ship needs factoring in as well ? Gross tonnage 50-70,000 tonnes or thereabouts ?

Aviation figures are scary. Sadly electric cars can do nothing to cut down on that side, it has needed an unprecedented global pandemic to do that - but the ships keep on shipping !

I think the values from the article are for net payload, not based on gross tonnage, but it's not clear.

I went for the higher figure for the range given as I can't imagine the efficiency of a car transporter, in terms of cargo vs. gross tonnage is that good, compared to a container ship.

A 20 ft container is around 28 tonnes net, 30 tonnes gross, and it's got a similar footprint to two cars, which even with Tesla battery packs is less than 4 te.

The energy required to push a boat through water is based mainly on it's waterline length and how fast you want to go, I can't imagine cars make the best use of the volume of the boat and I imagine there are commercial pressures that generally push for speedy delivery, though chargeable fees vs fuel costs, the canal, dock fees and other running costs probably means margins are pretty lean, I guess?

That does seem unusual.
But then again, this has been nothing but an unusual quarter in concerns to shipping Tesla cars internationally.
Very low numbers to APAC and Europe, and a ship that's already arrived in the Bay Area with a current ETA at the start of July.

Using New York and not Philadelphia, which has a Hyundai pier, seems strange to me.
When we saw shipment of cars ship out of Philadelphia, we saw pictures and had sources tell us that a shipment Euro spec cars were moving across the US. Nothing this time around.
It will be interesting to get info about the ship's content when it arrives in Zeebrugge. The arrival location in Zeebrugge should give us some indications as well.

I actually got the same message from someone in Tesla, saying that my car was on the SILVER RAY. Additionally, I also got a confirmation for delivery in Drammen on June 23rd.

Reactions: MGrove
A little early on the position report day not only because of a delightful Sunday lunch in the offing but because SILVER RAY is racing up the channel at 19kts. She is presently just 30 miles south of Selsey Bill and with just 150 miles to go she will be docking in Zeebrugge tonight.
She is due to leave for Southampton tomorrow at 16:00, so just a partial unload. She will arrive in Southampton on Tuesday morning (not Wednesday - my mistake) but will not leave until Wednesday evening. Now a lot of cars can be unloaded in that time and rumour has it 1600 are due .....

Meanwhile, 300 nautical miles north west of the Azores the GRAND VENUS continues to progress at 16.8 kts. She now has 1491 nm to go and the weather is looking good for the remainder of her voyage.

And so to lunch... hic....

View attachment 551366
Thanks. At what point will we know if M3's have been unloaded from Silver Ray in Zeebrugge, if at all?

Reactions: raphabarreiros
The first interesting development so far today is the non-appearance of GRAND VENUS on the Southampton arrivals board for Saturday.
The Southampton VTS arrivals board is very reliable and is constantly updated.
So, either GRAND VENUS isn't departing Zeebrugge on the 19th or she isn't coming to Southampton.
(I was actually given a date of 23rd for the next shipment arriving in Southampton from a new source last month. That date has looked wrong to me for the last 2 weeks and with SILVER RAY entering the equation, I think I should ignore it completely.)

The next development I'm hoping for today is confirmation that SILVER RAY is carrying Teslas. I am sure @MGrove has his source on the docks at Zeebrugge on the case and it would be good to know for sure. Otherwise I can see me making the trip to Southampton docks tomorrow to check.

• Helpful
Reactions: ABCTG and EVMeister
Has anyone done the calculation on whether or not it has been possible to send cars all the way from SF to NY (time wise) to be shipped on the SILVER RAY after the factory reopened?

Tesla-info gives the following information. I've entered a part-VIN number similar to my confirmed car VIN.

upload_2020-6-15_12-57-4.png

It's interesting that there's over 3000 cars missing from Tesla-info's data.

Silver Ray Left NYC on 06/06/20, so 2 weeks seems like plenty of time?

Likewise, Grand Venus left San Francisco on 28/05/20, so plenty of time to have loaded locally?

• Informative
Reactions: hingus2000