Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been asked where Benicia is.
I have annotated the aerial view of the San Francisco Bay area with a couple of locations that are interest.
Benicia - A dock used to import vehicles into the USA. It is of interest to us because it is often the last location a ship will use prior to loading at Pier 80.
Pier 80 - The pier Tesla primarily use to export their vehicles by Roll on - Roll off car carriers.
Tesla Fremont. The factory where the cars are manufactured. Cars are moved to Pier 80 from the factory by road using car transporters.

View attachment 559512
Golden Gate Bridge. A famous landmark.
And the container ships to Australia/New Zealand/Hong Kong leave from Oakland International container terminal

It looks like GLOVIS SONIC has decided not to stop in Hueneme (LA) and is now enroute to Benicia.
Although she has not updated her AIS with the new destination I can confirm that it is Benicia.

Screenshot 2020-07-02 at 11.07.00.png

Watch for a hidden vin in your Tesla account and this will be the first clue you have been assigned a car.

It's certainly different to when I ordered my S in Oct '16. I had a VIN allocated immediately and then had periodic notifications e.g. when the car went into production and when it had left the factory for the slow rail ride to Houston. it was exactly 8 weeks from leaving Fremont to collection.

@Vedaprime to the best of your knowledge are the VIN's for S/X allocated once the car is mid way across the Pond, as they seem to be for the 3?

As pointed out by @Vedaprime Model S/X to Europe are shipped differently.
They are transported by container from the Oakland Joint Intermodal Terminal by rail to Texas.
This terminal is also used to ship by sea to Aus/NZ/Hong Kong by container ships.

View attachment 559519
Yep. Many of the parts for China production (And all spares shipments to APAC and UAE are coming out of Oakland also. Parts for UAE go via China.

European parts Shipments are going out via Houston mostly, although Q2 had some out of Savannah.

Megapacks and powerpacks typically come out of Oakland or Houston.

Superchargers typically come out of Norfolk, Charleston, Long Beach, Los Angeles or Long Beach

It looks like GLOVIS SONIC has decided not to stop in Hueneme (LA) and is now enroute to Benicia.
Although she has not updated her AIS with the new destination I can confirm that it is Benicia.

View attachment 559517
Ignore that post - I was talking rubbish.

GLOVIS SONIC has now arrived at Hueneme.
Next stop is Benicia, tomorrow evening.

I've been told by delivery team that they are expecting a lot of cars mid July. Is this likely to be true? I see Glovis Comet is going to be arriving in Southampton tomorrow?
I seem to recall @Mr Miserable discounting Comet a few days back but am sure he’ll share his wisdom shortly. I too spoke to Tesla delivery yesterday and they told me that a lot of cars were going to be available weekly in a couple of weeks so hopefully we get some news soon...

I've been told by delivery team that they are expecting a lot of cars mid July. Is this likely to be true? I see Glovis Comet is going to be arriving in Southampton tomorrow?
The GLOVIS COMET is not of any interest to us.
I am assuming you are talking about Model 3?
If cars are being shipped from Fremont via Pier 80 I would not expect anything in the UK until early August.
If your man in the delivery team is correct, then this would indicate the possibility of Tesla repeating what they did last quarter of shipping by rail to the east coast and then by ship from there. It's a 9 day sea crossing and then you have to add the time for the rail journey. Mid July is a bit unlikely, even by this route though.
I have someone keeping an eye on the Milpitas railhead at the moment for precisely this activity.

FIRST SHIP OF Q3

GLOVIS SONIC is to start loading at Pier 80 on Tuesday morning.

Lack of activity at the Milpitas railhead and the sighting of many transporters heading to Pier 80 with Euro style plates would tend to indicate that the ship will be heading for the EU.

Amazing :) assuming that’s the case would you say possible best case late July for delivery? Or definitely into August?