Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Similar situation. I reserved an SR+ on July, 4th, in the showroom, and changed it on the 16th to the LR AWD (well, asked it before that and someone in the NL changed it).

The guys at the Barcelona showroom told me that a ship is due mid August (matches your info) and two more are due beginning of September. They said "if a car that's on one of those 3 boats mateches your reservation, it will be assigned to you", no info on which one it would be (goes without saying that prior reervations for an identical car would be assigned first).

They did not seem to know what's in each boat.
Very similar indeed, did you receive an SMS about pick up? I found it dubious to have received it after requesting the change - not sure if linked or coincidence.

I've purchased several cars new, but never like this lol

I wonder which boats are arriving mid-Aug and Sept- I've been keeping up with the Glovis as that's the one I was told my SR+ was on, but after the change, I am trying to gather as much info on the vessels hoping my LR will be on either on this or the next one.

Booked a road trip to enjoy the car in the first week of Sept which I think I need to cancel, but my SO is still pushing on going :-(.

Anyone with shipping info for the vessels arriving into the UK this Q?

No SMS at all. Only verbal info, just a comment that "if there's a free match in one of those 3 ships, it will be yours, and in 3 shiploads there should be one".

I expect the Grand Dahlia is the first one with possibilities... I suppose if I could get a car from the Glovis Sun, I'd know it already... but maybe I'm wrong, I had many cats in 35 years, but this is the 1st one I try to trace :D

Reactions: Pilotpem
GLOVIS SUN has travelled another 297nm since the last report averaging about 14.1 kts. She is currently off the west coast of Costa Rica making 14.9 kts. Tropical Depression 7 which I talked about yesterday has now developed into a Tropical Storm and been given the name Gonzalo. It is expected to continue to quickly develop into a Hurricane tomorrow. I am personally pretty surprised at this little fella because he is tracking so far south and will hit islands not regarded as being affected much by Hurricanes eg Grenada, Barbados. You can see his forecast track here. At the moment I expect GLOVIS SUN to clear the Caribbean ahead of Gonzalo. If you haven't yet entered the free competition to guess where GLOVIS SUN will be at noon on 31 July, now would be a good time to enter. The Mr Miserable Virtual Trophy could yours!

GRAND DAHLIA continues to load at Pier 80 with no departure date notified yet. I'm hoping to receive some news from the pier later tonight.

GLOVIS CAPTAIN left San Diego and is presently abeam Los Angeles enroute to Pier 80. She will probably have to hold out at sea because she is well ahead of schedule at the moment and she is still doing 15kts.

Glovis Sun Pacific.png

Thanks, Mr Miserable, for the update.
I received a call this evening, they say I have a VIN (which I don't see in my account but that's another subject). They say the car is under way and therefore it must be in the Glovis Sun (but they don't know the ship's name). They say it is not in Pier 80 but sailing. The reservation shows Aug 27th as delivery date.

I'm afraid with Tesla's continual state of organised chaos it is unfortunately very dangerous to plan anything around a delivery date. :(
Tell me about it - not had anything from them

Thanks, Mr Miserable, for the update.
I received a call this evening, they say I have a VIN (which I don't see in my account but that's another subject). They say the car is under way and therefore it must be in the Glovis Sun (but they don't know the ship's name). They say it is not in Pier 80 but sailing. The reservation shows Aug 27th as delivery date.
That's amazing news. Best of luck for your delivery

Reactions: XaviCht
As predicted GRAND DAHLIA's loading has not been a rapid process. Loading will continue today and Friday and she is not expected to be ready to depart until Saturday at the earliest.

Meanwhile GLOVIS CAPTAIN has arrived in the area and is loitering off the coast at Monterey.

Am I right in assuming these will arrive roughly around 3 weeks from loading? Potential end of Aug delivery for Grand Dahlia vehicles

Am I right in assuming these will arrive roughly around 3 weeks from loading?

For arrival in Zeebrugge that is about right, you then add a few more days for them to get to Southampton, then a few more days+ for unloading and distribution.

Earliest UK deliveries for Glovis Sun seem to be about a month after she sailed from SFO.

• Informative
Reactions: s88ats and Neilio
As predicted GRAND DAHLIA's loading has not been a rapid process. Loading will continue today and Friday and she is not expected to be ready to depart until Saturday at the earliest.

Meanwhile GLOVIS CAPTAIN has arrived in the area and is loitering off the coast at Monterey.
I might have missed it, but has the Dahlias destination definitely been set to zeebrugge?

Reactions: DanAndTheBeard
Don't get me wrong, his inputs are informative, I've always thought so and it's useful to know movements of the ships.

Just there are better ways of dealing with people. Especially when managing a thread of 221 pages.

I guess that's just how some people are

Please feel free to ring Tesla and get some information.

The GRAND DAHLIA will have completed loading on Friday evening and will depart in the small hours of Saturday morning.
I have repeatedly said GRAND DAHLIA is coming to EU however we won't know for sure until she puts Zeebrugge into her AIS and that won't happen until she clears the Panama Canal. In the meantime the next key indicator will be when the San Francisco Chronicle publishes its destination tomorrow evening.

My estimate is that she will arrive in Zeebrugge on 15 Aug. No info on whether she is coming to Southampton at the moment but if she is I would expect her on 18/19 Aug.

Don't get me wrong, his inputs are informative, I've always thought so and it's useful to know movements of the ships.

Just there are better ways of dealing with people. Especially when managing a thread of 221 pages.

I guess that's just how some people are

I think you forget that Mr M gets asked the same questions every 5-10 pages, gets a bit tedious having to repeat the same information.

There is a search function at the top, filter by 'Grand Dahlia' + user (Mr Miserable) + this thread only. Quite easy if you spend 2 mins of your time learning how to use it.

Reactions: Drew57 and Mark S
A week on Monday?
The GRAND DAHLIA will have completed loading on Friday evening and will depart in the small hours of Saturday morning.
I have repeatedly said GRAND DAHLIA is coming to EU however we won't know for sure until she puts Zeebrugge into her AIS and that won't happen until she clears the Panama Canal. In the meantime the next key indicator will be when the San Francisco Chronicle publishes its destination tomorrow evening.

My estimate is that she will arrive in Zeebrugge on 15 Aug. No info on whether she is coming to Southampton at the moment but if she is I would expect her on 18/19 Aug.

Thank you, hopefully my car will be on that one.

So the GRAND DAHLIA has been loading for several days, but this thread doesn't know just how many Tesla vehicles have been loaded onto the ship. So I'm left wondering, how do we find this out?

Clearly Tesla knows the count, the dock workers know the count, the insurance company knows the count, the shipping company knows the count. None of these companies are mom and pop shops, so there are multiple (perhaps dozens) of people at each of these companies that know "the number". Yet we can't find it out? Sure, I get that its proprietary business information, loose lips sink ships (well, not so much during peace time) but come on, this is 2020, where people routinely ferret out things like who the guy is that created the fake flag burning thing on the East Coast that got people all riled up. There has got to be some way to find out the number.

So what about the guy who 47.24 pages back flew a drone not too far from one of the ships? There was actual video of cars being driven off the lot and into the belly of the beast. Is there no physical vantage point within line of sight of the dock(s) where the loading takes place where one could set up a 5 year old iPhone and let it simply run for 3 days and then count the cars? There are half a dozen people on YouTube posting daily videos of the Berlin Gigafactory construction progress. There is a gal who takes daily video of the SpaceX Starship facility in Boca Chica, and has a friend who edits the videos and annotates the daily progress! These are some dedicated Tesla fan boys/girls.With all the unemployment these days, you would think that someone with a lot of time on their hands might find a way to capture some nice video of cars loading onto a ship, and get a few million YouTube followers in the process, right? What am I missing here?

Am I going to just have to drive up there myself and figure this all out? Don't make me do this...

RT

P.S. Links for sites mentioned in my above tome for those with too much time on their hands who aren't otherwise occupied filming the GRAND DAHLIA loading:

Boca Chica:
SpaceX Starship : Texas Prototype(s) Thread 3 : Photos and Updates

Berlin Gigafactory:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvRenk988PP650XdsKHC1ig

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Pilotpem