Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also a lurker! :D Who loves this feed! thanks mr M for the incredible education on shipping & all the updates!

I just got a call from Tesla that my 25th collection (Edin) is delayed to 31st due to shipping delays - boat arrives the 28th now she said - unsure if this helps you re the Southampton question and the query over RHD’s but passing it on anyway

So GRAND DAHLIA has done a complete unload at Zeebrugge.

GLOVIS CAPTAIN continues on schedule and bang on track across the Atlantic. Her midday Z position is shown on the chart below. She is due to arrive in Zeebrugge on 21 Aug and thereafter head to Southampton to arrive on 23rd or possibly 24 Aug. (with the RHD cars that GRAND DAHLIA has dumped on the dock at Zeebrugge). The competition winner will be announced separately.

GLOVIS CAPTAIN Atlantic Progress Aug 20.png

RCC ASIA is belting down the Pacific coast at over 19 kts. She’s currently off Acapulco and still on time to arrive at the canal entrance on Tuesday. Enter the competition to guess which grid square she will be in on 23 Aug 20. ETA Zeebrugge 31 Aug

Screenshot 2020-08-15 at 12.40.38.png

GLOVIS SIGMA should arrive at Pier 80 to load on Monday morning. I’m expecting her to come to Europe ETA roughly 11 Sep

and then

GLOVIS CLIPPER probably heading to Far East

and then

it starts getting interesting. We now know that GRAND PEARL and DONINGTON don’t feature but I don’t think we have finished with Q3 yet, there may be time to squeeze in just one more ship (and it probably won’t be wafer thin (for Mr Creosote fans)).

GLOVIS SUNLIGHT is the tip I’ve received.

We shall see…

• Informative
Reactions: jbcarioca
So GRAND DAHLIA has done a complete unload at Zeebrugge.

GLOVIS CAPTAIN continues on schedule and bang on track across the Atlantic. Her midday Z position is shown on the chart below. She is due to arrive in Zeebrugge on 21 Aug and thereafter head to Southampton to arrive on 23rd or possibly 24 Aug. (with the RHD cars that GRAND DAHLIA has dumped on the dock at Zeebrugge). The competition winner will be announced separately.

View attachment 576536

RCC ASIA is belting down the Pacific coast at over 19 kts. She’s currently off Acapulco and still on time to arrive at the canal entrance on Tuesday. Enter the competition to guess which grid square she will be in on 23 Aug 20. ETA Zeebrugge 31 Aug

View attachment 576538

GLOVIS SIGMA should arrive at Pier 80 to load on Monday morning. I’m expecting her to come to Europe ETA roughly 11 Sep

and then

GLOVIS CLIPPER probably heading to Far East

and then

it starts getting interesting. We now know that GRAND PEARL and DONINGTON don’t feature but I don’t think we have finished with Q3 yet, there may be time to squeeze in just one more ship (and it probably won’t be wafer thin (for Mr Creosote fans)).

GLOVIS SUNLIGHT is the tip I’ve received.

We shall see…
Maybe a silly question but where would the cars from Dahlia be stored at the docks for the week?

Also what is the logic behind cross loading and not just loading the one ship? i.e. why bother load up the Dahlia for it to then be unloaded and stored at another dock, to then be reloaded on another ship?

Reactions: ringi
THE GLOVIS CAPTAIN WINNER!

We didn't have a direct hit in grid square O8 but the nearest to the pinprick that marked the position was @SteveBM3 who chose O9.
Congratulations! You win err ... absolutely nothing but nods of respectful admiration from us all.
My sympathy goes to @ricco404 with P8 - you were very, very close but clearly you are not blessed with the awesome skills and talent of @SteveBM3

There is still time to win absolutely nothing at all with the RCC ASIA competition. Enter now!

Maybe a silly question but where would the cars from Dahlia be stored at the docks for the week?

Also what is the logic behind cross loading and not just loading the one ship? i.e. why bother load up the Dahlia for it to then be unloaded and stored at another dock, to then be reloaded on another ship?

Question 1. I suspect you know the answer - it's on the dock. Have a look on Google Earth at Zeebrugge docks, you may spot the odd car or two there. The good news is that the cars may be on charge - they have hundreds of chargers on the dockside there.

Question 2. It's all about cost. Someone will have worked out that it's cheaper to send a full boatload to Zeebrugge and unload them all there and then wait for the second boatload to take them to Southampton. A single set of fees in Southampton is saved plus the cost of chartering GRAND DAHLIA for 2 days at a guess.

• Informative
Reactions: jbcarioca
THE GLOVIS CAPTAIN WINNER!

We didn't have a direct hit in grid square O8 but the nearest to the pinprick that marked the position was @SteveBM3 who chose O9.
Congratulations! You win err ... absolutely nothing but nods of respectful admiration from us all.
My sympathy goes to @ricco404 with P8 - you were very, very close but clearly you are not blessed with the awesome skills and talent of @SteveBM3

There is still time to win absolutely nothing at all with the RCC ASIA competition. Enter now!

Thanks Mr Miserable for the great thread and the competitions, just wish Tesla would hurry up with my car

Reactions: Roy W.
I was expecting GLOVIS SIGMA to be loading on Monday morning at Pier 80 but I'm told that is not going to happen. Apparently she is still scheduled into Pier 80 to load, just not on Monday...
In the meantime I've been trying to see if GLOVIS SUNLIGHT is coming to the EU and at the moment I can't see it happening. She is definitely a possible for Pier 80 though.
It seems there are quite a few ships this quarter that are still due to load that will be heading to the Far East.
I'm satisfied that GLOVIS SIGMA is coming our way, it's just a question of when.
Will we get a 6th ship to Europe? The odds are yes (a source at Fremont says EU spec production is not concluded yet) but it really will be towards the end of the quarter - lastminute Tesla deliveries at the end of September are definitely on the cards.

So in summary, piecing together all the various sources:

GLOVIS SIGMA To EU ETA 13 Sep
GLOVIS CLIPPER To Far East
GLOVIS SUNLIGHT To Far East
TBC? To EU ETA 21 Sep

UPDATE: I'm told GLOVIS CHALLENGE might be worth keeping an eye on. Yet another ship! She is heading to Benicia and will arrive there on Tuesday night. If we assume 24 hours there it would mean being at Pier 80 ready to load on Thursday morning which doesn't give the GLOVIS SIGMA much time to load. Unless the Challenge moves in to an anchorage to wait.....All these ships and such as small number of days to fit them in..
We shall see...

Last edited:
For years the global RoRo fleet operated smoothly and continuously with only the occasional hiccup. The huge value of their cargoes required reliability and dependability and strict adherence to a schedule planned months before. Crews were on varying lengths of contract generally between 4 - 9 months and so there was a constant trickle turnover of crew with several joining and departing the ship every month. The ships have schedules that are necessarily planned months in advance. (Berths in some of the busier ports are fully booked months in advance, getting fuel in Australia, for example, can be a nightmare and ships spares (often large and not easily transportable) are pre-positioned in accordance with a maintenance schedule) It all requires meticulous planning and the strict adherence to the schedule.

Then along came COVID-19.

It wasn't the factory closures that caused the problem to the RoRo industry or a slump in demand for new cars but the travel restrictions imposed globally often at short notice that prevented scheduled crew changes from taking place. It created the nightmare of tired and fatigued crews not knowing when they will get home and mariners at home, with no income, waiting for their next contract and being subject to skill fade. So operators are very reticent to change schedules but COVID-19 has forced them to tear them up and start afresh. Changing a complete crew at once has never been a good idea and is not a model the operators want to implement. Following the April/May lockdowns some ships had to return to the Far East and actually do this and at the time everyone was hoping that would be a one off. Now, several months on, it is clear to everyone that COVID-19 is not a short term event, operators have begun 'modelling' new schedules to minimise the penalties. It's a painful process that is still ongoing. Already it is clear to some that tweaking here and there will not work. There is a gradual realisation that everything is now in the melting pot, everything is up for review, nothing is sacred and new operating methods will have to emerge in an industry that is steeped in traditional practices. It could be a painful transition.

In the meantime, Panama has opened itself up as a hub for crew changes. This should help minimise disruptive schedule changes, but there are conditions. It remains to be seen whether the industry sees this as a viable solution.

Screenshot 2020-08-15 at 17.45.09.png

Question 2. It's all about cost. Someone will have worked out that it's cheaper to send a full boatload to Zeebrugge and unload them all there and then wait for the second boatload to take them to Southampton. A single set of fees in Southampton is saved plus the cost of chartering GRAND DAHLIA for 2 days at a guess

But way put UK cars on GRAND DAHLIA at all, instread of just filling it with EU cars and putting more UK cars on thr next boat?

Last edited:
Spreads destination ratio for countries against orders, and if a better option comes along- easier to do this @ 1 day away from Southampton in such a flexible/busy shipping area than from 22-25 days away.

They did this with one of the GLOVIS ships pre-lockdown, was it BROOKLANDS that picked up all the extras from Zeebrugge from memory ?

Also a lurker! :D Who loves this feed! thanks mr M for the incredible education on shipping & all the updates

Thanks Mr Miserable for the great thread and the competitions, just wish Tesla would hurry up with my car

One tangible way to show @Mr Miserable your undying love and eternal gratitude for all his selfless efforts in tracking these ships would be to use his referral code for Tesla, Octopus or TeslaFi if you get the chance...

GLOVIS CAPTAIN is bang on track and with just over 1900nm to go remains on time to arrive at Zeebrugge on Friday 21st. After unloading her LHD cargo I expect her to pick up the RHD cars left at Zeebrugge by GRAND DAHLIA and head to Southampton arriving around 24 Aug. We will hopefully know the exact timings for Southampton in a couple of days time.

GLOVIS CAPTAIN Atlantic Progress Aug 20.png

RCC ASIA The high speed dash to the Panama Canal continues. She is presently off the coast of Guatemala and as forecast she is passing through an area of intense thunderstorms with reduced visibility associated with the heavy rain. The area has caught the eye of meteorologists and they are calling it INVEST 95E an indication that the storms could possibly develop into something a lot bigger in due course. She will continue to be affected by frequent thunderstorms until she enters the Atlantic.

Screenshot 2020-08-16 at 12.21.53.png

The next ship to load at Pier 80, GLOVIS SIGMA. will arrive late on Monday. I believe it will be the 5th ship of the quarter to head to Europe arriving around 11 Sep.

Another 3 ships or so will head off to the Far East before a possible 6th and final ship of the quarter to Europe squeezes in. I’m hoping for more news on this later today or tomorrow.

Ordered my SR+ 13.7.2020
Got my VIN 28.7.2020
Estimate delivery date is 28.8.2020

Any ideas where it's sailing? :)

Tesla contacted me today 17.8.2020. My car is ready for pickup at 19.8.2020. So my initial estimate time for pickup was moved and car arrived for Finland ahead its schedule. :)

Maybe this is useful information to you Mr Miserable ? Seems GRAND DAHLIA had my car.