Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mr M in your experience how common is it for car deliveries to be cancelled?
They had sent me a driver tracking link when the driver was due to pick up the car from Chelmsford. I called the driver who said he had to come back without the car due to some fault!

That’s ridiculous! Did you find the complaints process? Compensation etc

No, I didn’t know they had a complaints procedure.

I have a sneaky suspicion that they only discovered charging issues after I had emailed yesterday morning to request a 60%+ charge since the vehicle is being collected by a transportation company and needs to be loaded onto a ferry etc before it reaches me.

It’s taken the shine off the experience, especially as I’ve paid in full and don’t have a car at all and with no LR/AWD M3’s in inventory there may be a longer wait for new ones to come from Fremont/California.

I may ask them for a discount towards an M3P since they have plenty of these in inventory. If they meet me half way on the cost difference I might switch to one and get it delivered soon.

The big shock is that they simply don’t know how long it will take to get the parts in (to fix a brand new car!). It surprises me that they don’t have at least a stock of one of every part in a small UK based warehouse for eventualities like this.

No, I didn’t know they had a complaints procedure.

I have a sneaky suspicion that they only discovered charging issues after I had emailed yesterday morning to request a 60%+ charge since the vehicle is being collected by a transportation company and needs to be loaded onto a ferry etc before it reaches me.

It’s taken the shine off the experience, especially as I’ve paid in full and don’t have a car at all and with no LR/AWD M3’s in inventory there may be a longer wait for new ones to come from Fremont/California.

I may ask them for a discount towards an M3P since they have plenty of these in inventory. If they meet me half way on the cost difference I might switch to one and get it delivered soon.

The big shock is that they simply don’t know how long it will take to get the parts in (to fix a brand new car!). It surprises me that they don’t have at least a stock of one of every part in a small UK based warehouse for eventualities like this.
I am sorry to hear that.
I am on the nhsfleet lease with knowles. I have asked if about complaints process and maybe even cancel.

Reactions: OneTinyFish
I get my car delivered on Friday, super excited and nervous (check list printed and other posts on Lack of PDI noted!!). Just wanted to say a big thanks to Mr Miserable for an excellent thread that's both very informative and in a weird way (to me) entertaining, especially like the way you try and keep the thread on track when it goes "off piste". I am sure I will keep popping in to check out all things related to shipping logistics and entering the comps for Q4 ships.

PS - As I way of showing my gratitude, I asked my lease company to use your tesla referral from your profile page when placing the order with Tesla, whether they used the referral or not I am struggling to ascertain.

Is there always a lull in the week up to the end of the quarter? Do Tesla not ship continuously or is it always a feast and famine type shipping schedule with a peak at the start of the last month of the quarter?

Like this?

ty.png

Is there always a lull in the week up to the end of the quarter? Do Tesla not ship continuously or is it always a feast and famine type shipping schedule with a peak at the start of the last month of the quarter?

I suspect they prioritise the American market at the end of the quarter since these cars won't have to be shipped as far. It means they can deliver cars locally while other cars ship to other continents and they will all count in the same quarter.

Nice drawing ;)

Three transporters spotted heading away from Southampton this morning, with a mix of S, X and 3 on board.

I'm not going to attempt to graph the number of each, but there were far more 3s than S and X, which were similar numbers, so the graph would look similar to the, erm, general shape, of the graph above. :oops:

• Funny

Like this?

View attachment 591671

Here's the facts - feel free to draw what you like.
Tesla aim to deliver as many cars as they can in the same quarter as they were manufactured.
It takes 3 weeks to ship from Pier 80 to Zeebrugge/Southampton.
Time needs to be added for factory to Pier 80 transport and port to customer transport.
Port to customer say 10 days.
Factory - Pier 80 another 10 days.
So you should now have a total of 41 days.
From this you can say the 1st ship will arrive around 31 days after the start of the quarter and the last ship will arrive 10 days before the end of the quarter. This is the maximum shipment window.
Assuming a weeks production is loaded on to each ship it means there is a maximum of 8 ships per quarter using this route.
It means that in the 1st month of each quarter there are no ships arriving and therefore a lull in deliveries until the 2nd month.
Shortcutting the route by sending cars overland by rail to east coast ports and shipping from there is expensive however at least one maybe 2 extra shipments can be made, however this is at the expense of domestic US production.

The model may change next quarter with the possibility of exports to Europe of LHD Model 3s from China.
We shall see...
Get drawing

Can't believe they dont put some protection on the cars like other manufacturers to help avoid minor damage ! No wonder so many cars arrive with damage.

I guess I've seen maybe a dozen transporters now, and there's not a single bit of protective 'packaging' on the Teslas.

Compare that to many other marques that are covered in bits of foam on door handles, covers on bumpers, cover plates on alloys, etc. etc.

I guess I've seen maybe a dozen transporters now, and there's not a single bit of protective 'packaging' on the Teslas.

Compare that to many other marques that are covered in bits of foam on door handles, covers on bumpers, cover plates on alloys, etc. etc.
Obviously a cost saving exercise by Tesla and to cut corners to get cars out at all cost despite impact on disappointed customers when they get the car, not acceptable in my opinion, I've had first hand experience :( very poor business planning in the long term.