Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I phoned Tesla this morning, they told me that they could see that my car (been allocated yesterday) was at SF but not left the port - which if true would mean GRAND AURORA. He also said that it looks like the boat may be going straight to Southampton rather than via Zeebrugge. Could this be true?? I can't say that I have a great deal of faith in what they say in the UK office, but interesting that they do seem to be able to see certain information. He was able to give me my VIN and see an update as to where the boat was - and he said it was due in sometime around 1st week of December in the UK.

I'd be interested to know your thoughts @Mr Miserable - has a boat ever skipped Zeebrugge and gone straight to Southampton?

RCC ANTWERP COMPETITION RESULT

There were no less than 57 entries into the RCC ANTWERP competition but we still didn't have a direct hit on gridsquare O11.
We did have a near miss though with the closest chosen square being N11.
Congratulations go to @JC100 who was the only person to choose this square.
@JC100 will receive a years supply of adoration from other forum members.

For the 56 losers, don't take it too badly and I recommend entering the TRITON ACE competition to raise your self esteem.
Just spotted this!! ADORATION - Bring it on!!

When I phoned Tesla this morning, they told me that they could see that my car (been allocated yesterday) was at SF but not left the port - which if true would mean GRAND AURORA. He also said that it looks like the boat may be going straight to Southampton rather than via Zeebrugge. Could this be true?? I can't say that I have a great deal of faith in what they say in the UK office, but interesting that they do seem to be able to see certain information. He was able to give me my VIN and see an update as to where the boat was - and he said it was due in sometime around 1st week of December in the UK.

I'd be interested to know your thoughts @Mr Miserable - has a boat ever skipped Zeebrugge and gone straight to Southampton?

That's quite a scoop if it turns out to be true!
It is possible I suppose but we won't know for sure until she transits the Panama Canal on 12 Nov
I would estimate that the ship would arrive in Southampton on 23 Nov so the dates don't quite fit.
We had rumours of ships coming direct to Southampton last year but they never materialised.

I'm still having a problem identifying the ship that's scheduled to start loading at Pier 80 on Friday.
It appears in the San Francisco Port Schedule as TBN (to be notified)

I was pretty convinced it would be RCC AMSTERDAM but the timing doesn't quite fit for her.
I'm still sure GLOVIS CRYSTAL will load at Pier 80 and head for Europe but that is at the end of next week.
Whatever this ship is, I don't think it will be heading to Europe though.

That's quite a scoop if it turns out to be true!
It is possible I suppose but we won't know for sure until she transits the Panama Canal on 12 Nov
I would estimate that the ship would arrive in Southampton on 23 Nov so the dates don't quite fit.
We had rumours of ships coming direct to Southampton last year but they never materialised.

I wonder, dare I say it - it's in relation to post-brexit shipping. Might be cheaper to import into UK then export the EU models than vice-versa in new world.

With GRAND AURORA on her way to Europe it must be time to launch the catchily named...

GRAND AURORA COMPETITION

All you have to do is use your skill and judgement to decide which gridquare GRAND AURORA will be located in at midday Z on 16 Nov 20.
There is no galaxy of fabulous prizes to be won. No speedboat, no sit-on lawnmower not even a canteen of cutlery. Nada, zilch.

Only 1 entry per person
In the event of a tie, the person who chose the closest gridsquare first will be declared the winner.
Entries will close when GRAND AURORA enters the Panama Canal.

GRID.jpg

ENTER HERE

Reactions: Mr. Impatient
Spare a thought for the crew of TRITON ACE that are unnecessarily enduring 5-6 meter high waves in 42 kt winds in an unstabilised ship at the moment. They are not alone as other ships are running the gauntlet too. There are however other vessels that are having a much smoother time having altered course a few degrees 24 hours ago. Seamanship is what it used to be called.

Just watched Long Way Up on Apple TV and they showed a huge container ship going through the Panama Canal and said it cost 1.2 milllion dollars to go through. Now we know why in the UK we pay these prices

I saw that too, think they were talking about the panamax locks. Had a quick google at the quoted toll prices (charged per ton) and if you assume something like the Grand Aurora at 59,000t fully laden it would be something like $275,000 (plus pilotage, tugs etc) - still a lot of cash mind!

I have just received confirmation and VIN number of my car and delivery will be from 24th November. I am now watching the progress of Triton Ace even more closely as my car is probably on there.
Looking forward to watching the passage through Panama canal.
Thanks again Mr. Miserable for keeping us entertained with your knowledge and advice. It does make the waiting educational and interesting.

RCC ANTWERP continues to make excellent progress across the Atlantic
At midday Z her position was N37.6 W43.7
She has 2130nm to go to Zeebrugge and she remains on schedule.
The good weather she has been enjoying will begin to slowly deteriorate today and tomorrow we will look more closely at the weather for the remainder of her passage but it’s looking OK at the moment.
ETA Zeebrugge 10 Nov and Southampton 13 Nov

RCC ANTWERP ATLANTIC PROGRESS.png

TRITON ACE successfully braved a transit of the disturbed waters of the Tehuantepecer wind zone last night .
At midday Z her position was N12.8 W91.7 which is about 80nm S of the Guatamala and El Salvador border.
She’s a little behind schedule but will easily make it up and arrive off Panama on Saturday evening.
She will arrive in Zeebrugge on 20 Nov and Southampton on 22 Nov

Don’t forget to enter the TRITON ACE competition - Enter HERE

Screenshot 2020-11-05 at 12.10.43.png

GRAND AURORA is making steady progress towards the Panama Canal. Since leaving Pier 80 she has travelled 335nm of the 8000nm voyage to Europe.
She is on schedule to arrive at the Panama Canal on 12 Nov.
There has been a mention that this ship may be going direct to Southampton - I’m not totally convinced but we’ll find out once she has left the Panama Canal.

We now have a GRAND AURORA competition running too - Enter HERE

Screenshot 2020-11-05 at 12.14.01.png

TOSCANA is now in the Bay of Bengal. We should receive a position report from her about his time tomorrow
The weather looks fine.
She will arrive in Zeebrugge on 27 Nov

Toscana to Suez.png

TANNHAUSER is due to depart on Friday however she may be getting ready to leave earlier - a very short loading time.
I haven’t seen any drone footage of Model 3’s lined up at the docks like we did for the 1st shipment yet, which throws a little bit of doubt in my mind - perhaps they are still being edited.
Tropical Storm Atsani continues to slowly strengthen. The latest projections have the storm slowly drifting westwards into the South China Sea and developing into a typhoon as early as tomorrow. The problem is that TANNHAUSER will also be heading into the South China Sea at the weekend. Some careful passage planning may be required here.
She will arrive at Suez on 25 Nov and Zeebrugge of 6 Dec.

• Informative
Reactions: Mr. Impatient
Thanks but that date doesn't look right.
If GRAND AURORA is going to Zeebrugge she will arrive around 24 Nov and then Southampton around 26 Nov at the earliest.

i thought it was optimistic, it looked like the chap had copied and pasted it from a system and it read GRAND AURORA / TRANSIT / 18.11 so just presumed it was that date. Unless that date triggers something else in their process of course

• Informative
Reactions: Mr Miserable