Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So far this quarter we have RCC Antwerp, Triton Ace and Grand Aurora all departing within 2 weeks.
Are there any other ships planned or is this it? Just seems very concentrated with nothing arriving at all in October and the quarter ending December.
p.s. the info re routing, Panama Canal etc is fascinating, I never thought I'd be tracking ships on-line plus all the inside knowledge has opened up a whole new world for me.

I've been following this for some time!
I just wondered if this is the normal pattern for shipping - nothing for the first month in the quarter,3 ships in quick succession then maybe nothing in the last month.
No. No ships in the first month: normal. Many in succession: yes. No ships in last month: not the case at all, here you are assuming no more ships, which doesn't seem to be the case. Don't forget "TBD" & Tannhauser.
Tesla Carriers

RCC ANTWERP continues to make excellent progress at over 19 kts across the Atlantic
At midday Z her position was N33.0 W50.8
She has 2572nm to go to Zeebrugge.
ETA Zeebrugge 10 Nov and Southampton 13 Nov

I will announce the winner of the RCC ANTWERP competition shortly - we don’t have a direct hit.

RCC ANTWERP ATLANTIC PROGRESS.png

TRITON ACE is also making good progress down the Pacific coast of Mexico at just over 17kts.
At midday Z her position was N15.2 W97.8 which is about 145m SE of Acapulco.
As mentioned yesterday she will encounter the Tehuantepecer wind later today.
As I also pointed out she had 3 options to consider
1. Head further out into the Pacific to lessen any impact of the bad weather and minimise any delay.
2. Hug the coastline or
3 Do nothing.
She has now passed the point of Option 1 being feasible. She would now require a drastic change of course to take this option and it would incur a delay.
I suspect she will be in the Option 3 camp. It may be a calculated decision however I shall monitor her progress through the stormy waters. She has about 7 hours before she arrives in the area.

Hurricane ETA is devastating the east coast of Nicaragua at present and the forecasters are hoping that it will expend all its energy very shortly. The projections seem to indicate that it will move north and dissipate as it does so (possibly reforming again in the Caribbean later in the week) but the key point is it is now seen as unlikely to cross into the Pacific.
At the moment she is still on schedule to arrive off Panama on Saturday evening.
She will arrive in Zeebrugge on 20 Nov and Southampton on 22 Nov

Don’t forget to enter the TRITON ACE competition - Enter HERE

Screenshot 2020-11-04 at 13.25.38.png

GRAND AURORA has completed loading at Pier 80. She was due to depart about midday but there is a 2 hour “operational” delay to her departure. She has updated her AIS to show her due to arrive at Balboa on 12 Nov. I estimate she will arrive in Zeebrugge around 25 Nov and Southampton possibly on 28 Nov

TOSCANA is now in the Bay of Bengal.
Based on her last position report she should be due south of the Nicobar Islands at midday today on course to round the southern tip of Sri Lanka.
I don’t imagine we will receive another report from her until then which should be around this time on Friday.
The weather looks fine.
She will arrive in Zeebrugge on 27 Nov

Toscana to Suez.png

TANNHAUSER has docked in Shanghai and is due to depart on Friday.
Tropical Storm Atsani continues to linger and slowly strengthen about 450nm SE of Taiwan and so still poses a threat. The projections have the storm slowly drifting westwards into the South China Sea possibly developing into a typhoon at the weekend. The problem is that TANNHAUSER will also be heading into the South China Sea at the weekend. Timing will be everything.
She will arrive in Zeebrugge of 6 Dec.

• Informative
Reactions: Mr. Impatient
RCC ANTWERP COMPETITION RESULT

There were no less than 57 entries into the RCC ANTWERP competition but we still didn't have a direct hit on gridsquare O11.
We did have a near miss though with the closest chosen square being N11.
Congratulations go to @JC100 who was the only person to choose this square.
@JC100 will receive a years supply of adoration from other forum members.

For the 56 losers, don't take it too badly and I recommend entering the TRITON ACE competition to raise your self esteem.

The interesting thing about GRAND AURORA's ETA in Balboa is that it is in the morning.
This is quite unusual as generally the ships arrive in the late evening and their transit is in the early morning next day. This could mean that she will transit later the same day in which case I would bring forward her ETA in Zeebrugge to 24 Nov.
We shall see...

Update: Just checked my records and the GRAND MARK did this in February this year.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ABCTG