Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They have been causing problems for years. I don't know how long they take to fix.

However we at least now know why GRAND AURORA will have to anchor and wait until Thursday morning to dock.

BS284 PVD-Lock Interruption for the shipping traffic
13/11/2020
till:
09/12/2020
Due to maintenance works the P. Vandamme Lock will be interrupted for the shipping traffic on:

- Monday the 23rd of November 2020 from 8h00 till 13h00
- Wednesday the 25th of November 2020 from 08h00 until Thursday the 26th of November 02h00
-Monday the 7th until Wednesday the 9th of December 2020 from 8h00 until 13h00

Each time until the mentioned end time or as much shorter as possible or longer as necessary.

Let's hope that this time the work finishes on time!
Very important information. Thank you.

Mr. M,
I was thinking back many pages where you mentioned how important seamanship from the captain was when deciding to route around storms and such. And obviously, with 6,000 cars at $50,000 per car its pretty important that things go reasonably well so as to not end up on the bottom of the drink. Maybe sometime when you get a chance you could elaborate a bit on some of the following: 1) How many crew onboard, how they end up doing that, what's the conditions and pay like, 2) How's the food? 3) What kinds of work do they do enroute? 4) What happens during bad weather? 5) Do the crew stay with a single ship, or do they bounce around? 6) Any tourists on board? 7) Any pets onboard besides the odd rat or two? 8) What do they do to pass the time when things are going swimmingly? 9) Do they have internet access when at sea? 10) And most importantly, is there alcohol allowed onboard?

I'm sure that 99.9999% of the population has no clue about any of this. And since we are here tracking these ships 24/7 I thought it would be fun to have a bit more insight into that whole lifestyle.

RT

Mr. M,
I was thinking back many pages where you mentioned how important seamanship from the captain was when deciding to route around storms and such. And obviously, with 6,000 cars at $50,000 per car its pretty important that things go reasonably well so as to not end up on the bottom of the drink. Maybe sometime when you get a chance you could elaborate a bit on some of the following: 1) How many crew onboard, how they end up doing that, what's the conditions and pay like, 2) How's the food? 3) What kinds of work do they do enroute? 4) What happens during bad weather? 5) Do the crew stay with a single ship, or do they bounce around? 6) Any tourists on board? 7) Any pets onboard besides the odd rat or two? 8) What do they do to pass the time when things are going swimmingly? 9) Do they have internet access when at sea? 10) And most importantly, is there alcohol allowed onboard?

I'm sure that 99.9999% of the population has no clue about any of this. And since we are here tracking these ships 24/7 I thought it would be fun to have a bit more insight into that whole lifestyle.

RT
Answers most of your questions!

• Informative
Reactions: hugin and RubberToe
Very strange but looks like Grand Aurora is hanging around just West of the Isle of Wight. Didn't think it would anchor there for Zeebrugge
I assume someone is on the phone to Southampton to see if they can slip in and dump some cars off.
The trouble is I am not sure there is the space in the docks as TRITON ACE has only just unloaded.

Reactions: StevehConwy
I've just been trying to work out a docking plan for GRAND AURORA in Southampton and have failed.
There are no obvious gaps in the port schedule to give her a berth even if there was dock space for her cars.
I'm sure some experts are working on a solution but it's not staring them in the face.....

EDIT: I confined my desktop study to the Western Docks, I haven't tried with the Eastern Docks.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MGrove
Interestingly, the Southampton Port Schedule has just updated to show arrivals up to 30 Nov - still no sign of GRAND AURORA.
I know she is due in on 1 Dec, so perhaps that was the plan all along.

I'm not sure Southampton is the best port of entry for Tesla - it has very limited spare capacity and so can be very inflexible, has limited and expensive parking space, and is an expensive port. It can't respond satisfactorily to Tesla's short notice demands.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if they started looking elsewhere.....

West of the Isle of Wight doesn't seem like a logical place to anchor for Zeebrugge. I would have thought they'd use the Antwerp Anchorage
I agree with you it is an unusual place to loiter - she hasn't, and won't anchor there. However, it's well chosen in that it's well clear of the shipping lanes and obstacles and she can probably get a decent mobile signal there too! I feel sure as I said earlier that the possibility of dropping off her RHD Tesla's into Southampton was being explored too.
Once the Southampton options have been ruled out we may see her continue towards Zeebrugge. If some magic wand is waved, we may see her in Southampton but I'm not holding my breath.

Reactions: TheFuturist