Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
upload_2020-11-27_9-40-22.png

Reactions: TheFuturist
GRAND AURORA is continuing to unload in Zeebrugge.
She is not due to depart Zeebrugge until 2200 tomorrow. This will allow time for SR+ from TOSCANA to be cross-loaded onboard for delivery to Amsterdam where she is due to arrive on Monday.
She is also now scheduled to arrive in Southampton’s Western Docks on Wednesday lunchtime. I am inclined to believe she still has the UK consignment onboard.

TOSCANA arrived yesterday evening in Zeebrugge.
I am expecting her to unload all her Chinese made LHD SR+’s before departing on Monday night .

GLOVIS CRYSTAL Her satellite position reports this morning have been a source of confusion to me.
They report her stationary or moving dead slow but when you plot her position it’s pretty clear that she is actually moving normally at about 17kts.
The odd corrupted signal is not an unusual occurrence but this morning’s stream of rubbish is annoying.
The chart shows that she continues to follow a rhumb line course across the Atlantic.
The good news is that the weather is fine
Her current scheduled ETA for Zeebrugge is 5 Dec and Southampton probably a couple of days later.

Glovis Crystal Atlantic Progress .png

TANNHAUSER completed her transit of the Suez Canal yesterday evening and is now in the Mediterranean.
She is due to arrive in Zeebrugge on 6 Dec.

Tannhauser Med Prog.png

RCC AMSTERDAM is presently enjoying a very smooth transit of the Panama Canal.
I expect her in Zeebrugge around 9 Dec and Southampton on 12 Dec

GLOVIS SUN continues to make excellent progress down the Pacific coast.
In the last 24 hours she has continued to average 18.5kts and is already 130nm SSE of Cab San Lucas
There are no immediate weather concerns
At her present rate she could arrive 24hrs ahead of schedule at Balboa.
One can assume that she has got the opportunity of an earlier canal transit slot.
I originally estimated she should arrive in Zeebrugge around 15 Dec but that will move left a day if she gets an earlier canal transit.

Don't forget to enter the GLOVIS SUN competition

Glov Sun Pacific.png

GRAND AURORA is continuing to unload in Zeebrugge.
She is not due to depart Zeebrugge until 2200 tomorrow. This will allow time for SR+ from TOSCANA to be cross-loaded onboard for delivery to Amsterdam where she is due to arrive on Monday.
She is also now scheduled to arrive in Southampton’s Western Docks on Wednesday lunchtime. I am inclined to believe she still has the UK consignment onboard.

TOSCANA arrived yesterday evening in Zeebrugge.
I am expecting her to unload all her Chinese made LHD SR+’s before departing on Monday night .

GLOVIS CRYSTAL Her satellite position reports this morning have been a source of confusion to me.
They report her stationary or moving dead slow but when you plot her position it’s pretty clear that she is actually moving normally at about 17kts.
The odd corrupted signal is not an unusual occurrence but this morning’s stream of rubbish is annoying.
The chart shows that she continues to follow a rhumb line course across the Atlantic.
The good news is that the weather is fine
Her current scheduled ETA for Zeebrugge is 5 Dec and Southampton probably a couple of days later.

View attachment 612251

TANNHAUSER completed her transit of the Suez Canal yesterday evening and is now in the Mediterranean.
She is due to arrive in Zeebrugge on 6 Dec.

View attachment 612252

RCC AMSTERDAM is presently enjoying a very smooth transit of the Panama Canal.
I expect her in Zeebrugge around 9 Dec and Southampton on 12 Dec

GLOVIS SUN continues to make excellent progress down the Pacific coast.
In the last 24 hours she has continued to average 18.5kts and is already 130nm SSE of Cab San Lucas
There are no immediate weather concerns
At her present rate she could arrive 24hrs ahead of schedule at Balboa.
One can assume that she has got the opportunity of an earlier canal transit slot.
I originally estimated she should arrive in Zeebrugge around 15 Dec but that will move left a day if she gets an earlier canal transit.

Don't forget to enter the GLOVIS SUN competition

View attachment 612253

As always, very insightful. I was googling what a rhumb line actually is. Why would a vessel ever use a rhumb line?

My Hypotheses/complete guesses as to why the GRAND AURORA is following a rhumb line.

Reading up on thumb line, the advantages might be:
  • "the inconvenience of having to continuously change bearings while travelling a great circle route makes rhumb line navigation appealing in certain instances." Rhumb line - Wikipedia Just follow a fixed bearing without adjusting. To me, this suggests a human navigator choice, or a technical problem causing reliance on less sophisticated technology.
  • Takes longer - I'm not sure when the maintenance is due to finish in Zeebrugge, but taking a longer path might allow GA's arrival in Zeebrugge to coincide with the completion of maintenance work and therefore no waiting in the Channel.

My Hypotheses/complete guesses.

Reading up on Rhumb line, the advantages might be:
  • "the inconvenience of having to continuously change bearings while travelling a great circle route makes rhumb line navigation appealing in certain instances." Rhumb line - Wikipedia Just follow a fixed bearing without adjusting. To me, this suggests a human navigator choice, or a technical problem causing reliance on less sophisticated technology.
  • Takes longer - I'm not sure when the maintenance is due to finish in Zeebrugge, but taking a longer path might allow GA's arrival in Zeebrugge to coincide with the completion of maintenance work and therefore no waiting in the Channel.
Yup I hear what you are saying.
Modern ship voyage management systems manage great circle courses for you. It's like an aircraft autopilot, you just press the button.
Just like an aircraft autopilot however there are other selections to be made, like steering mode. If you are navigating a series of waypoints say through the Gatun Lake in the Panama Canal you may have rhumb line selected so that the ship maintains rigidly to the track line between the waypoints. Now if you leave the canal and have not reset the steering mode and your next waypoint is 3500nm away you will head off on a rhumb line course to it. Now I'm not saying that is what has happened but.....
On the bridge display it will not be obvious. In a couple of days time when the Azores start to appear on the display however I suspect the penny will drop.

Update. Her satellite reports seem to have returned to normal now.

Last edited:
My Hypotheses/complete guesses as to why the GRAND AURORA is following a rhumb line.

Reading up on thumb line, the advantages might be:
You mean GLOVIS CRYSTAL of course, GRAND AURORA is happily discharging it's precious load in Zeebrugge as we wait