Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is what I've ordered! I called up as I haven't had any delivery texts and ordered back in October, they said don't worry you have one scheduled, which is on that ship.

Won't get my hopes up too much then...
I'm sure you will get your car when he says you will - it's just the rest of it that is so completely wrong it's almost as if it has come from Facebook. (There is a lot of 'wide of the mark' shipping information posted on there.)
The TRITON ACE is a real ship but it delivered to Southampton last week. She didn't come from Rotterdam although she is now heading to Rotterdam and Model 3's are not shipped through Rotterdam in any case. Additionally TRITON ACE will not dock in Southampton again for several months. Apart from all that, he is probably correct on your delivery date.

• Funny
Reactions: twlr and Arkilia
Additional: NORWEGIAN ENCORE's spot has been taken by EMERALD PRINCESS, who also has a webcam, but that hasn't been updated since 27th September in Scheveningen (sp?)

An interesting bit of trivia about Scheveningen is that it is a place name that Germans have great difficulty in pronouncing correctly. Accordingly it was a word used by the Dutch resistance in WW2 to test whether the person they were dealing with really was Dutch.

I'm sure you will get your car when he says you will - it's just the rest of it that is so completely wrong it's almost as if it has come from Facebook. (There is a lot of 'wide of the mark' shipping information posted on there.)
The TRITON ACE is a real ship but it delivered to Southampton last week. She didn't come from Rotterdam although she is now heading to Rotterdam and Model 3's are not shipped through Rotterdam in any case. Additionally TRITON ACE will not dock in Southampton again for several months. Apart from all that, he is probably correct on your delivery date.

Thanks very much for this, really helpful. I've been reading your posts religiously for the past few weeks and thought something didn't sound right!

Tesla don't have 100's of dealers to handle several thousand cars dumped in a single shipment. The delivery delays would be horrendous. They would have to rent big bits of expensive real estate at the docks to park the cars which would only be used once or twice a quarter. The steady trickle is cheaper and much better use of a smaller resource.
Apolgies if this been asked before but why don’t they come to Southampton first and then on to Zebrugge ?

GLOVIS CRYSTAL has just made a significant change to her course, like about 15 degrees to port.
Coincidentally, this is the sort of heading I would expect her to be on if she went on a great circle course from her present position.
Perhaps the penny has dropped....
We shall see..

It's to big of a coincidence!
I bet the skipper is reading along and they had some time to kill; so he waited until they had a hit on their off course on the forum to divert to another course.

• Funny
Reactions: RabC63
Mr M, just wondered, after the car transport ships from San Fransisco offload their Tesla cargoes at Zebrugge, Amsterdam, & Southampton etc, - what do they do then? Do they load Nissan Jukes & Qasqais, Minis, JLR vehicles etc, and take them back to California? Do they arrive at SFO with cargo to offload or arrive empty?

GLOVIS CRYSTAL has just made a significant change to her course, like about 15 degrees to port.
Coincidentally, this is the sort of heading I would expect her to be on if she went on a great circle course from her present position.
Perhaps the penny has dropped....
We shall see..

Praise the gods! I could see my delivery date slipping away before my eyes!

Mr M, just wondered, after the car transport ships from San Fransisco offload their Tesla cargoes at Zebrugge, Amsterdam, & Southampton etc, - what do they do then? Do they load Nissan Jukes & Qasqais, Minis, JLR vehicles etc, and take them back to California? Do they arrive at SFO with cargo to offload or arrive empty?
That's a big subject to cover! Suffice to say that these ships are generally kept very busy. Tesla charter the whole ship on the Zeebrugge runs and so they arrive empty - they may have offloaded in Benicia (other side of the SF Bay or elsewhere in California) and so are not empty for long. They load in Zeebrugge, Bremerhaven, Emden & Southampton and then head off to N & S America, Africa, Middle East and the Far East and Australasia.
At the moment, COVID travel restrictions are limiting the opportunities for crew changes and so new schedules have been devised. Most car transporter crews are Asian and so at the moment we are seeing lots of schedules starting in Asia and ending in Asia 4 - 9 months later.
The ships want to minimise time in port (it costs big money) and will move anything on wheels that can fit into the ship. If the cargo doesn't have wheels they will load it onto a wheeled trailer. The ships are often fully booked weeks in advance. It's a very lucrative business - so much so that many car companies ended up buying and operating their own ships so that they weren't held to ransom by the shipping companies. The business doesn't have a squeaky clean reputation and their have been numerous successful court cases of anti-competitive behaviour and price fixing in the past. They also have to my mind, an appalling safety record. I will post tomorrow on this subject.

This may be of interest - image of Teslas parked at Southampton docks, taken by a contact this morning. (I have no info other than what's visible - sorry!)

Attachments

• IMG-20201129-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20201129-WA0001.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 92
"She is also now scheduled to arrive in Southampton’s Western Docks on Tuesday evening."
Only after going to Bremerhaven first. I don't think she's on business for Tesla anymore at that point - you obviously didn't explicit state that she would be either, so you might be of that opinion too. Just a Nota Bene.
Have you got evidence she's going to Bremerhaven? Amsterdam port schedule has Grand Aurora arriving tomorrow morning and then Southampton port schedule has her arriving Tuesday evening. It doesn't look like there's time for a Bremerhaven stop too.

Have you got evidence she's going to Bremerhaven? Amsterdam port schedule has Grand Aurora arriving tomorrow morning and then Southampton port schedule has her arriving Tuesday evening. It doesn't look like there's time for a Bremerhaven stop too.
Nevermind. I momentarily confused Grand Aurora with Toscana. I've deleted my comment now, it was pointless.
Toscana is coming to Southampton after going to Bremerhaven - very likely on non-Tesla business.

GRAND AURORA remains alongside in Zeebrugge.
I expect her to depart later today to Amsterdam where she will arrive tomorrow morning.
She remains scheduled to arrive in Southampton’s Western Docks on Tuesday evening.

GLOVIS CRYSTAL abandoned her rhumb line navigation yesterday evening and is now on a great circle course.
The chart below shows the new GC track line that I expect her to follow.
She is about 730nm SW of the Azores.
The weather continues to be fine for the moment but as she approaches the Azores I expect it to deteriorate.
Next Thursday and Friday don’t look particularly attractive weatherise for her and it may slow her down.
Her current scheduled ETA for Zeebrugge is 5 Dec and Southampton probably a couple of days later.

Crystal2 Atlantic.png

TANNHAUSER is continuing to average about 17kts as she heads west through the Mediterranean.
She is presently in the Sicilian Channel which runs between Siciily and Tunisia.
Looking ahead the weather doesn’t look too pleasant for her arrival into the Bay of Biscay.
She is due to arrive in Zeebrugge on 6 Dec

Tannhauser Med Prog.png

RCC AMSTERDAM is racing towards Zeebrugge at 19kts.
She transited the Windward Passage about 8 hours ago and is now heading for the Mayaguana Passage into the Atlantic.
This is slightly unusual as most ships that take this route remain south of Great Inagua Island and then enter the Atlantic via the Caicos Passage but her route does offer more searoom and so is not a wrong choice by any means.
Her ETA for Zeebrugge is 07:00Z 8 Dec which is ambitious for this time of year however she remains ahead of schedule.
ETA 8 Dec for Zeebrugge and Southampton on 11 Dec

Screenshot 2020-11-29 at 12.04.28.png

GLOVIS SUN continues to progress down the Pacific coast of Mexico however she has now slowed to 15kts
I’m guessing that the earlier hopes of an early canal transit have been dashed because at this speed she will arrive at the canal on Tuesday as originally scheduled.
I estimate she should arrive in Zeebrugge around 15 Dec however I'm hoping we may see a fast Atlantic crossing attempted to compensate.

Don't forget to enter the GLOVIS SUN competition

Glov Sun Pacific.png

Apologies for the OT post, but figured someone here would know the answer. Is there a forum where the build quality of the Chinese made Model 3s recently delivered to Europe is being discussed? A bit of searching didn't show anything specific.

RT

In Feb 19 the GOLDEN RAY docked at Pier 80 and loaded its precious Tesla cargo and departed for China.

This was a comparatively new ship entering service in 2017, benefitting from a modern bridge and all the advantages that modern computer technology can bring. Although like many other pure vehicle carriers she was 200 metres long she was a bit wider at just over 35 metres. That extra width allowed her to carry up to 7700 cars. She left Pier 80 on 13 Feb 19 and arrived safely in Shanghai on 1 Mar 19.

On 8 Sep 19 the GOLDEN RAY was leaving Brunswick, Georgia en route to Baltimore. She had onboard about 4500 Kia and Hyundai cars and as she entered the Atlantic she started to list. In an action reminscent of the HOEGH OSAKA incident in the Solent in Jan 2015, the local pilot immediately steered the vessel towards shallow water to prevent a total capsize. 23 crew members were rescued unharmed although for 3 of them trapped in the engine room with an uncontrolled fire it was a close run thing. The HOEGH OSAKA was refloated by the salvage company, subsequently repaired and quickly returned to service. That's not the case with the GOLDEN RAY - it's still at the mouth of the river, lying on it's side. It is being totally dismantled in situ.

The US NTSB has yet to report on the GOLDEN RAY accident but the UK Maritime Accident Investigation Branch has issued its report on the HOEGH OSAKA incident which is an interesting read.

Vehicle carriers do not have a good safety record. The accidents and incidents can be largely grouped into 2 different cause groups - Fire and Instability.

Let’s look at fires first of all. 5 major fires since January 2019 that I am aware of:

January 2019 SINCERITY ACE caught fire whilst crossing the Pacific with 3500 Nissans on board. 5 Crewman died
March 2019 GRANDE AMERICA caught fire and sank in the Bay of Biscay
May 2019 GRANDE EUROPA caught fire whilst off the Spanish coast in the Mediterranean. It had no less than 2 separate fires in brand new vehicles within the space of 4 hours.
June 2019 DIAMOND HIGHWAY was abandoned in the South China Sea because of a fire onboard.
June 2020 HOEGH XIAMEN caught fire whilst loading at Jacksonville Florida. Despite the fire service being on scene very quickly and using drones with IR cameras to detect hot spots, the ship continued to burn for days and was a total loss. This fire was very concerning since if a fire cannot be extinguished when alongside with the benefit of a fully equipped fire service using fire boats and all the latest technology, what chance would it have at sea?

The causation of most of these fires is put down to car batteries, that’s normal ICE 12V car batteries on brand new cars. No, I don’t suppose you read about these horrific incidents in the Daily Mail since they didn’t involve a Tesla.

The other major issue with these ships is their stability or rather potential instability. Generally there are 2 reasons for stability issues the first of which is water ingress and the second is failing to ballast or trim the vessel properly. Ocasionally the latter leads to the former.
Typing the following incidents into a search engine will produce an eye-opening read.

Dec 02 TRICOLOR Enroute from Zeebrugge to Southampton sank following collision. Notoriously hit twice more by 2 different vessels.
Jul 06 COUGAR ACE Developed a severe list
Dec 12 BALTIC ACE 11 died following a collision
Jan 15 HOEGH OSAKA Developed a severe lis
Jan 16 MODERN EXPRESS Severe list
Sep 19 GOLDEN RAY Capsized

The American NTSB report on the GOLDEN RAY is yet to be published, however there were some US Coastguard hearings in September from which you can get a very good idea of what went on.

• Informative
Reactions: 98dizzard
HOT NEWS!

We have another ship!

LYDDEN, which is a big ship, is due to load in Newark on 4 Dec and depart early on 6 Dec.
By my reckoning she could arrive in Zeebrugge around 14 Dec

If all these cars get delivered, Q4 figures for Euro imports will be astonishing.

Newark is on the East Coast, where do Tesla have a factory in these areas? And what type of cars would be loaded here?