Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow! This update made a good improvement to NoAP. My car now speeds up a little to make a lane change when cars are behind me in the lane I want to get into. Before others would flash their high beams at me to tell me it was okay to change but AP will never do it.

One thing it hasn't done is be more aggressive when merging. It still tried to take an on ramp at 48mph while others are flying by at 70-75mph. I usually take the ramp at 55mph and power out at the end to 65-70 while looking for a gap to either slow down or speed up to merge. AP took it all the way to the end of the lane and I was getting leap frogged. I had to manually take over.
Honestly, I don't know if it's a placebo, but I definitely think my car more confidently displays surrounding vehicles and maybe even more of them. I also think the braking in stop and go is way smoother now. But I've had great stretches of Autopilot before, so it definitely could be my mind tricking me.

WOW! this update is buggy!!!
reading the user manual causes the touch screen to reboot spontaneously. Here's what happen:
Click on user manual, then click on the maintenance schedule, then click on a few of the sub-menu items, the screen shows nothing, just a white page, then the touch screen hang, wait couple minutes and the tesla logo comes up, and the thing reboots.
Wonder if anything important is broken, very concerning.

Some software updates change the messages on the CAN bus (exposed through obd port) . It sometimes breaks ScanMyTesla. It is certainly possible that some updates break other devices. The CAN messages are not public and Tesla can do what they want with them. Hopefully your device can be updated via usb or something.

One thing it hasn't done is be more aggressive when merging. It still tried to take an on ramp at 48mph while others are flying by at 70-75mph. I usually take the ramp at 55mph and power out at the end to 65-70 while looking for a gap to either slow down or speed up to merge. AP took it all the way to the end of the lane and I was getting leap frogged. I had to manually take over.
When this happens to me (rarely), I just give it a bit of accelerator to get the speed up and still let it do its thing until after the merge.

My theory is that .15.x are the validation tests for Tesla Vision and that they are now happy enough so they move every one back to .18 which is the non Tesla Vision. Then once V11 is released, then we all move to that.
Hmm, but that doesn't make sense given this tweet from Elon:

The only release going out right now is 2021.4.18...

Reactions: edseloh
Been on this update for over a week… AP on the highway in traffic seems to got worse, is really jerky on braking hard or accelerating too much in stop and go traffic. Had to turn it off it was getting the wife sick.
Did you have it in chill mode? That's the only way I can deal with highway traffic in autopilot, otherwise too herkey jerky.

Somewhat unrelated, if you have the patience and the time you can see what components are actually being updated if you sit and watch. Certainly gives you a better idea then "miscellaneous bug fixes" It's always odd and disconcerting to hear the noises.

Attachments

• PXL_20210526_122720082.jpg
    PXL_20210526_122720082.jpg
    413.8 KB · Views: 78
  • PXL_20210526_122051510.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210526_122051510.MP.jpg
    445.6 KB · Views: 60
I know people aren't going to believe me. Last night I got the update to go to 2021.4.18. I actually have no idea what firmware I was on before (I do own FSD). Just 20 minutes ago, I got an update notification to install 2021.4.15.12. I have no idea what is going on.

• Funny
Reactions: Dave EV
Mine has always been this way, that's why I don't use it in stop and go traffic. This isn't new in 2021.4.18
No it always been for me, but it’s worse now. At first didn’t think it was going to stop, then slammed on the brakes last min. Should of saved the sentry clip, it was constantly braking hard.
chill mode does help with the accelerating in stop and go but didn’t switch back over to try.

No it always been for me, but it’s worse now. At first didn’t think it was going to stop, then slammed on the brakes last min. Should of saved the sentry clip, it was constantly braking hard.
chill mode does help with the accelerating in stop and go but didn’t switch back over to try.
It's better than my Prius Prime, but was using chill mode....since update though it "seems" to have gotten WAY better, without chill mode even.

Installed 2021.4.18 in our 2018 Model 3 this morning, rebooted afterwards as usual. Since then, the map is zoomed out quite a bit and doesn't auto zoom as it used to (not using navigation). You can manually zoom in and it will stay zoomed in, but on the next drive it's zoomed out again. The previous update was 2021.4.15.12.

Anyone else seeing this? Our 2018 Model S has the same build, but I don't see this issue there.

I was going to create a new thread for this rather than burying a response here, but let's see how this goes. 🙂