Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You used to be able to do it by looking at the raw html in MyTesla for the page with car details on. I've not tried it for a while to know whether you still can. Might be worth a try,
do you mean this?

battery.jpg
battery.jpg

The notable code changes are
- The new battery code is BT42 not BT37 but not all P and LR 2021 cars have it, I could only find 2021 Performance models in Europe .
- Heat pump is HP31 (HP30 is no heat pump) no HP code
- The onboard charger has changed in Europe to CH15 (not sure what code it was before, but it was different) CH07
- Headlights in some countries have changed (code HL31 becoming HL32)
- The steering wheel code has changed ST31 to ST30 which if you search for cars with it is also the code used from 2018/2019 so maybe rather than a new wheel, its just gone back to an earlier wheel. STCP

Differences inserted in red from an approx July 2019 UK Spec LR-AWD 3 2020.44.25 - TeslaFi reported codes

Differences inserted in red from an approx July 2019 UK Spec LR-AWD 3 2020.44.25 - TeslaFi reported codes
Teslafi can't pull build codes as the Tesla API has returned the same build code string whatever the car for some time. I imagine if you look it will also tell you you have a left hand drive car (DRLH)

You can find out more here, I use it to look up option codes, they rarely publish a list though

Tesla Info: Get your car configuration

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
Great info so far. I have a few questions from the newest posts after mine.
1. So the total range shown on the screen does NOT include the 'buffer' amount (below 0 mile range), right? And is that 4% of EPA rating (353 x 0.04=14 miles) maximum, right? If that's the case, then we'll never see 353 on the screen. But if total range includes that buffer, then we should. Confused about that.

2. It seems like the Panasonic battery pack is more desirable than the LG one, correct? Does post #1404 means code E3D=Panasonic, and E5D=LG? If yes, is it possible to request a 2021 LR AWD with E3D=Panasonic battery pack? And where does it say? Thx.
JC

So the total range shown on the screen does NOT include the 'buffer' amount (below 0 mile range), right? And is that 4% of EPA rating (353 x 0.04=14 miles) maximum, right? If that's the case, then we'll never see 353 on the screen. But if total range includes that buffer, then we should. Confused about that.

It's confusing. The total range shown on the screen, by convention, will (eventually) always match the EPA test result in rated miles - when the battery is new, assuming it is above the degradation threshold (which is about 77.6kWh for the 2021 vehicles). Sometimes a software update is needed to get the alignment. This is just done with the appropriate choice of constant which makes it work out (Max Displayed range = Degradation Threshold / Constant). This formula is only applicable when the battery energy exceeds the Degradation Threshold.

However, that range shown on the screen only represents 95.5% of your battery capacity (energy content). So that means the energy content of each rated mile as displayed next to the battery is 4.5% less energetic than each EPA rated mile.

So, for example, each true EPA rated mile is (currently) 224Wh/rmi (I think eventually with a software update this will drop to near 220Wh/mi but we will see, it is TBD). But next to the battery, for each rated mile you use, you will see 214Wh used from your battery. (Trip meter will show about 1% less than that.)

Remember, in the EPA test, they just keep driving the vehicle on the dyno until it stops. Since they travel about 450-500 miles on the dyno, this means they travel on the dyno the equivalent of about 20 miles after the range on the car display shows 0%. Don't do this in reality, please. You're asking to get stuck. But that energy below 0%/0rmi is there, it does exist, and it is counted in EPA testing. And it adds to the EPA range number. Even though it's below 0.

There are plenty of videos on YouTube showing people driving (slowly) deep into the buffer below 0 rated miles - at least 20+ km.

So that clarifies the difference here, I hope.

For current AWD vehicles, with current software (again, I expect these numbers will change shortly, but we will see!):

77.6kWh / (139Wh/rkm*1.6093rkm/rmi) = 347rmi

So the energy between 0 and 347 rmi is 0.955*77.6kWh = 74.1kWh. And the buffer below 0 is 3.5kWh.

For a new vehicle showing max range, the energy values are AT LEAST this large. But even if energy available is higher, the rated range will not increase. This appears to be managed by inflating the energy content of each rated mile for as long as the energy content exceeds the degradation threshold.

It seems like the Panasonic battery pack is more desirable than the LG one, correct? Does post #1404 means code E3D=Panasonic, and E5D=LG? If yes, is it possible to request a 2021 LR AWD with E3D=Panasonic battery pack? And where does it say? Thx.
JC

No evidence right now that there are different packs in the US for the AWD (non-P) trim level.

Last edited:
It's confusing.
No joke. Ha ha. But thank you for the explanation. The only thing that wasn't clear is when you get to 0 miles on the range, you have that 4.5% range left (max of 14 miles), correct? Just to know.

So what battery pack do 2021 LR AWD M3s come with? LG or Panasonic? And if LG, can we expect the same life as a Panasonic? Seems like Tesla is also engaging in cost-cutting to the detriment of owners, just like all other auto manufacturers. Oh well. Thx.

The only thing that wasn't clear is when you get to 0 miles on the range, you have that 4.5% range left (max of 14 miles), correct? Just to know.

Yes, you do. But no one would recommend using it. And the car will freak out and tell you to slow down if you're not going to arrive with greater than 5% left (above 0%)! So it's strongly biased towards not allowing you to use this energy.

The car can shut down at any time when the voltage is that low. Below 0% or even 5% extreme caution is advised.

And the buffer is always scaled to your max pack energy. When the battery has lost 10% of its capacity, the buffer will be 10% smaller too.

So what battery pack do 2021 LR AWD M3s come with? LG or Panasonic? And if LG, can we expect the same life as a Panasonic? Seems like Tesla is also engaging in cost-cutting to the detriment of owners, just like all other auto manufacturers. Oh well. Thx.

Wouldn't worry about it. In the US it appears to be Panasonic. I wouldn't even worry about the capacity issues with LG in the EU at this time - I would not be surprised if they are shortly brought into alignment. But I have no idea how the EU works so I have no idea. It does not apply to the US.

Changes in packs are probably a good thing, as over the past 3 years, it's not been unusual at all for Model 3 packs to lose 7-12% capacity after 20k miles. That's not great. Keep this in mind when you buy, and expect this capacity loss. If you do better (some people do - it's luck of the draw), great. Just need to budget for it. LG could be better, or worse! We'll see.

Excellent info; thank you. On the 'budget' issue, I guess you mean for a new battery pack... which makes sense. And I just thought of one last question on that subject: Does the battery pack have a life of 'x' amount of years, or 'y' amount of miles, whichever occurs first, or it's just miles that drive down battery capacity? I ask because that car would probably see about 6K miles per year. Need to take that cost into account, if we'd have to replace the pack, let's say, every 10 years, regardless of mileage. By the way, how much is to change a pack now, labor included? Thank you again for your excellent and prompt replies :).