Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model X, Monroney Sticker Range Increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Peeps - you can see by opening your app to check for a new update 2020.40.4.5

if you have it likely you will get the added range, that’s my guess.

Software updates don't usually roll out all at once. It takes days - or sometimes weeks - to get to everyone.

Even vehicles getting the "same" software release sometimes are days apart. For instance - my 3 & X almost always have different schedules.

Reactions: BM3B and X007X
same here, june 2020 G pack... waiting and hoping...!
Looks like older Model Y are getting the range increase. Hopes that means the same for us.

Attachments

• D001F46E-6897-401A-AE3F-C0A5F4D8C12E.jpeg
    D001F46E-6897-401A-AE3F-C0A5F4D8C12E.jpeg
    178 KB · Views: 99
  • Informative
Reactions: BM3B
It is really quite outstanding that a Model Y with a heat pump has a higher range rating than my LR Model 3.

Now, I realize that it is only a matter of days before some person from coastal California whines that the range increase is "fake" because their "real world" range is unchanged but the achilles heel of EVs has been winter driving and this octavalve/heat_pump goes a long way towards mitigating that problem.

I'll also point out the obvious since I have not seen it mentioned: Tesla has decided to address the problem of people missing out on the latest and greatest tech by only a few days by introducing the tech change months earlier than it shows up in the sales brochure and then 'retro-actively' giving it to recent purchases. Clever move. There will still be whining (always !) but less strident.

Last edited:
Reactions: VikH
Looks like older Model Y are getting the range increase. Hopes that means the same for us.
Keep in mind that the wording for the Model Y release is very different for the Model X.

The Model Y says "Your car's range has increased with new software that improves the efficiency of the motors and the climate control system"
The Model X says "Your car will now display a slightly higher range to more accurately reflect the capacity of the battery"

I suspect most if not all Ys will get the efficiency update. The efficiency update is only about 3% (316->326 miles). I suspect that when it gets the 5% capacity bump, the Model Y will get north of 340 miles of range.

Now what's more interesting is that the Model 3 went from 322 to 353 miles of range - 9-10%. Can all of this be explained by efficiency alone? This seems like a combination of efficiency and capacity, but that's a different topic.

Reactions: VikH
Now what's more interesting is that the Model 3 went from 322 to 353 miles of range - 9-10%. Can all of this be explained by efficiency alone? This seems like a combination of efficiency and capacity, but that's a different topic.

Motor efficiency and heat pump efficiency. (The Model Y already has the base heat pump efficiency advantage.)

Heat pump is not used for the EPA range test. It's performed at temperatures close to room temperature with the HVAC off.
I'm not sure that is correct anymore. See
FlexPaper AdaptiveUI JSP Example

The 1st paragraph says that the MCT accommodates 5 cycle testing and I gather that Appendix 'B' (not shown) is an example of 5 cycle testing used to calculate range.

Reactions: transpondster
Look like G pack people are in business! This guy got his model X in late September like me! Can’t wait for the update!

Attachments

• 2F52F2F2-2768-4EFF-9CA8-EEB2151447EF.png
    2F52F2F2-2768-4EFF-9CA8-EEB2151447EF.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 97
  • 6D7C398E-E1FE-4A30-AA14-27F6DC634F62.png
    6D7C398E-E1FE-4A30-AA14-27F6DC634F62.png
    770.7 KB · Views: 88
  • Informative
Reactions: BM3B
Not much to be exited about if it’s just a display massage. Shall see if we get the same in the EU.

I made a first bit longer drive yesterday with the G at 1C/38F temp, steady speed of 104km/h/65mph all the way. Range returned was 420km/265mi (or maybe 10km more max). The car was fully loaded. Quite ok for winter.

Just go my 2020.40.4.5 update and I have a Model X delivered on 9/27. Now Teslafi is telling me I have a 372 Current Range. I also have the G Pack in mine.

Congrats!! All of the 2020.40.5 updates I’ve seen thus far for “g” pack vehicles were late-model builds. Haven’t seen anyone yet who took delivery in June-August. Just wondering if more than battery pack efficiencies are at play; maybe some motor changes or some such happened in September.
Or, I’m just being impatient. That’s always a thing. :)

Reactions: Reason