Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Logically for the app to be able to send a notification at all would imply that some part of it is still running in the background (and possibly all of the time).
Indeed. I’m no expert in the inner workings of iOS, however I certainly remember seeing a notification saying the app needed to remain open for the key to work. This no longer comes up when “closing” the app, and it would appear the app carries on working as if it had been left “open.”
We’ve both disabled BT on our phones and for the past 30 minutes the car has slept soundly.

It will be interesting to hear how you get on.

Since my car slept for 10 hours last night, I'm not going to know if anything has improved for me until much later. I suspect though that the car will now sleep for days. The slight complication is that I have a mobile service appointment booked for Friday morning so there is a good chance my local service centre will wake the car before then.

If it can get 24 hours of uninterrupted sleep I can conclude that the app is to blame. To be honest I'm already assuming that because several people have suddenly started experiencing and reporting this strange new behaviour, and the only commonality is that Tesla recently released a new app update.

Interesting that I still get the notice when force quitting the app on my iPhone...

Edit to add: Both our Model 3 and Model Y are suffering from the same sleep/wake/sleep malady. Y is on 2022.24.5 and 3 is on 2022.24.6. iOS app is 4.12.0-1257 and my iPhone is running the latest developer beta of iOS16.

Last edited:
Reactions: Durzel
Interesting that I still get the notice when force quitting the app on my iPhone...

Edit to add: Both our Model 3 and Model Y are suffering from the same sleep/wake/sleep malady. Y is on 2022.24.5 and 3 is on 2022.24.6. iOS app is 4.12.0-1257 and my iPhone is running the latest developer beta of iOS16.
I wonder if running the developer beta has any implications on how the app behaves. Are the cars still suffering from insomnia if you close the app (and receive the notification)?

As a little addendum, having closed the app (and not received a notification), when we both turned off BT we did get the notification advising us BT is required for the key to work.

I wonder if running the developer beta has any implications on how the app behaves. Are the cars still suffering from insomnia if you close the app (and receive the notification)?

As a little addendum, having closed the app (and not received a notification), when we both turned off BT we did get the notification advising us BT is required for the key to work.
I will check on my wife's phone -- she is not on the beta.

I did shut off bluetooth just now as a test and I also get that message. I very rarely shut off BT so am not sure if that is a recent thing or not.

Edit: Wife's phone, not on iOS beta and with latest version of the Tesla app, also displays the message after force quitting the Tesla app. Curious.

Last edited:
I will check on my wife's phone -- she is not on the beta.

I did shut off bluetooth just now as a test and I also get that message. I very rarely shut off BT so am not sure if that is a recent thing or not.
The BT notification has been around for at least as long as I’ve had the M3 (March ‘21). I regularly turn BT off and back on again to fix various BT connection niggles amongst devices.

The blasted sun has interrupted my test! The car slept for 35 minutes and then woke up to start charging. 😂

I'm also on the latest iOS beta, but I should add that I haven't updated it for at least a week, possibly more, and it's only very recently that my car has started waking up randomly.

The only thing I've changed is updating the Tesla app to whatever the current version is on the App Store.

I get the notification on closing the app. Maybe you might need to delete the current app, close down the phone, restart the phone, download the app and sign in for the full confidence test?
I would, but what’s the necessity for it? Can anyone else confirm if closing the app stops the insomnia? Turning off BT (not a long-term solution) seems to do the trick.

Does it say on the release notes what the difference is?

Incidentally my car has been asleep 16 hours since deleting the Tesla app from my phone, so I feel confident in saying the app was the problem.
These are the release notes. Not very illuminating

243FC675-5241-4410-9E04-7725B63F05BB.png

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel