Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022.40.4.1 am I screwed out of FSD beta?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on somewhat recent history, I think that if and when the beta appears for 2023.2.x, then x will be a higher number than any of the prior releases on that branch. Right now, most non-FSDb customers are on 2023.2.12. As a guess, this might go to that 25 or. 30 for FSDb, as it did with the holiday update.

I see that there are already early leaked release notes for 2023.6.1, but apparently no reported installations yet. If your primary concern is to be ready for fsdb, you probably should not install 2023.6.x until an FSDb version is confirmed. Unfortunately, things are even murkier than usual during the current pause for NHTSA recall patches.

It's still possible that the second part could happen before the first part of your statement - so to be clear, my advice is don't install 2023.6.x if it appears anytime soon.

Currently on 2023.2.x, and hoping for FSD beta will come so I can subscribe and get on the beta branch. Revisiting your comments and to confirm my understanding, I should not update to the prompted 2023.6.x and wait for FSD beta to come to that branch, then update?

Also, I read something about it, but don't recall the facts--if one subscribes to FSD, gets beta, and let the subscription lapse, will the next update revert to the non-FSD beta branch?

Thanks.

to confirm my understanding, I should not update to the prompted 2023.6.x and wait for FSD beta to come to that branch, then update?
Yes I think this is the correct strategy. Of course, we don't know exactly what 2023 version will first contain FSD beta - it's possible they will jump right to 2023.6.x while it is still current. If so, there would have been no harm for you to install 2023.6.x already.

But historically, they usually lag behind by maybe 8 weeks give or take. So if you accept the 2023.6.x update now, then tomorrow they could release (say) 2023.2.20 as the next FSD beta build, shutting you out again until who knows when.

One strategy to help hold off the updates is to turn off Wi-Fi and/or delete the network login information, although this car can still update over LTE if Tesla wants it to (supposedly done for recalls or urgent updates). Another strategy is to subscribe and request the FSD beta, the presumption being that Tesla will not push normal updates while you are in the FSD beta queue. But the letter method costs you on the subscription, which you may not like if you don't want any of the non-beta FSD capabilities.

The paragraph just above is moot for you at the moment, because you already have 2023.6 waiting to install, so I think you simply have to repeatedly defer the installation clock. But if you were to subscribe now and get in the queue while 2023.6 is still pending, I think it might disappear and stop trying to install. Others could confirm or deny this from experience.
if one subscribes to FSD, gets beta, and let the subscription lapse, will the next update revert to the non-FSD beta branch?
I think so, but I have no direct knowledge or experience, and of course it's anyone's guess as to how much time will go by before the system updates. I suppose that if the subscription runs out, the first thing they would do is just turn off all the FSD beta and non-beta features. There are definitely users here on the Forum who have subscribed and then canceled; they would know more about exactly how this goes.

Reactions: snovvman
The paragraph just above is moot for you at the moment, because you already have 2023.6 waiting to install, so I think you simply have to repeatedly defer the installation clock. But if you were to subscribe now and get in the queue while 2023.6 is still pending, I think it might disappear and stop trying to install. Others could confirm or deny this from experience.
I recall someone being in the same boat and having service do a re-install of the current firmware, which cleared out the update that was pending. Doesn't hurt to open a service ticket and see if that's possible.

Thank you for the detailed response. It all makes sense. I could subscribe to FSD now, request beta, and see if the 2023.6 update prompt goes away. $200 experiment.

I recall someone being in the same boat and having service do a re-install of the current firmware, which cleared out the update that was pending. Doesn't hurt to open a service ticket and see if that's possible.

I wonder if I could reload the current software via the Service menu, and if that would cause the prompted 2023.6 update to go away for awhile. If this works, when FSD beta branch arrives, I can use this method to ensure that the non-FSD update is not presented as I subscribe and request beta (and hopefully the FSD beta branch will then be available for download). I will try to reload the current software tomorrow and see what happens.

Reactions: JHCCAZ and Dewg
But historically, they usually lag behind by maybe 8 weeks give or take. So if you accept the 2023.6.x update now, then tomorrow they could release (say) 2023.2.20 as the next FSD beta build, shutting you out again until who knows when.

Still on 2023.2.12, hoping for Beta to come to 2023.2.12 or later. The car now wants to install 2023.6.11 but I'm still hoping lol.

Reactions: JHCCAZ
Still on 2023.2.12, hoping for Beta to come to 2023.2.12 or later. The car now wants to install 2023.6.11 but I'm still hoping lol.
My early April visit with my son came and went, and we were never able to get beta on his car either. He's in the same boat you are. At this point, I have a feeling the next leap in FSDb will be to at least 2023.6.x - but who knows.

Best of luck, and eventually your patience will be rewarded. Remember there are a growing number of 2023 cars, and some portion of those owners want the same thing.

Thank you! I would like to try the Vision-based parking aid, but want beta more. This thread will be my first report if and when it happens.
I'm on 2023.2.10 and am waiting. They either installed it or replaced a computer and installed what was current when my GPS was fixed last month. I no longer have beta and await in the cue... Something tells me I'll have to wait 6 months for beta to catch up.

Reactions: MrFusion4
My early April visit with my son came and went, and we were never able to get beta on his car either. He's in the same boat you are. At this point, I have a feeling the next leap in FSDb will be to at least 2023.6.x - but who knows
OK, first indications today that FSD beta 11.4 is on 2023.6.15. This is just getting started, probably on employee cars only. But what this means is that you can safely install 2023.6.11 now.

If you want to, you can subscribe to FSD immediately after, and hit the beta request button if available. However, it may be several days (optimistic) or a week or two ((likely) or even longer to see it available widely. It depends on how the initial rollout goes with behavior and bug reports during that time,

if you subscribe to FSD now, you will be spending money and running the clock on your first month, and the FSD beta request button might even be greyed out for some time. So this is up to you. And remember that even if you do jump on it now, and even if the button is there and you get in the queue, the process of wide rollouts can spread out over many days and can be shut down awaiting fixes at any time. I'm just trying to give you a realistic expectation before you decide to start the subscription clock.

OK, first indications today that FSD beta 11.4 is on 2023.6.15. This is just getting started, probably on employee cars only. But what this means is that you can safely install 2023.6.11 now.

If you want to, you can subscribe to FSD immediately after, and hit the beta request button if available. However, it may be several days (optimistic) or a week or two ((likely) or even longer to see it available widely. It depends on how the initial rollout goes with behavior and bug reports. During that time,

if you subscribe to FSD you will be spending money and running the clock on your first month, and the FSD beta request button might even be greyed out for some time. So this is up to you. And remember that even if you do jump on it now, and even if the button is there and you get in the queue, even the wide rollouts can spread out over many days. I'm just trying to give you a realistic expectation before you decide to start the subscription clock.

🙏🙏 Many thanks for the update and guidance. It's a lot of helpful information and I look forward to 2023.6.11. On subscribing to FSD now, I might do just that this week. I am willing to spend to jam my foot in the door, knowing that it may take some time to happen.

From what I can gather, the NTSB recall issue has been resolved. Correct? This means that Tesla is allowing new FSD Beta enrollments?

Thanks again @JHCCAZ!

P.S., I noticed that you have RPM skid plates. Do they in fact reduce road noise as claimed?

From what I can gather, the NTSB recall issue has been resolved. Correct? This means that Tesla is allowing new FSD Beta enrollments?
This is not entirely clear. There are behaviors like even longer stop sign slowdowns, and faster response to speed scroll down or entering a perceived lower-speed zone, that are clearly in line with the recall issues. However, there are also some reported bugs involving occasional stop sign or red light violation, and between Tesla and NHTSA they may not consider the recall to be satisfied until all those are put to bed - not sure.

It's interesting because I think there was an April 15th date for completion of the fixes, and in April 20th date for customer notification. I haven't heard of any such communication from Tesla. Also, I don't know if the reports of a grayed out FSD beta request button have to do with the recall, or just software deployment readiness.
Thanks again @JHCCAZ!
You're welcome. I'm watching this closely for my son as I said, so I'll keep doing that.
P.S., I noticed that you have RPM skid plates. Do they in fact reduce road noise as claimed?
I'm glad to have them as added protection against debris, but I can't say they make the ride noticeably quieter than with the actory hard plastic ones. Most of the road noise is from tires. I'm guessing that the prototypes were actually noisier, than they added the Dynamat-like layer to address that, and emphasized the quietness.

The reason to get them is physical protection more than incremental sound deadening. The aluminum plates are a huge upgrade for older generation cars with the fiber covers, but a more modest upgrade for newer cars (including mine) equipped with plastic covers.

This is not entirely clear. There are behaviors like even longer stop sign slowdowns, and faster response to speed scroll down or entering a perceived lower-speed zone, that are clearly in line with the recall issues. However, there are also some reported bugs involving occasional stop sign or red light violation, and between Tesla and NHTSA they may not consider the recall to be satisfied until all those are put to bed - not sure.
There was a pause in adding new testers until the NHTSA recall was satisfied, per Tesla. The release notes for 11.3.4 point out how/where the update addresses those and as of today new testers are being added.

Tesla believes the recall has been fixed.

as of today new testers are being added.
This is very interesting. TeslaFi assigns the same FSDb version number 11.3.6 both to software version 2022.45.25 and to 2023.12.10.

The 2023.12.10/11.3.6 flavor is quite new--first detected by TeslaFi installing on 16 of their subscribers' cars yesterday Monday, May 22. The "Previously Installed Version" table ONLY lists non-FSDb previous versions--quite a few of them, ranging from 2023.2.201 to 2023.12.5.

This version and the cars it is being sent to offer real hope that someone buying a new card with FSDb today, or subscribing today, might get actual FSDb software pretty soon.

This is very interesting. TeslaFi assigns the same FSDb version number 11.3.6 both to software version 2022.45.25 and to 2023.12.10.

The 2023.12.10/11.3.6 flavor is quite new--first detected by TeslaFi installing on 16 of their subscribers' cars yesterday Monday, May 22. The "Previously Installed Version" table ONLY lists non-FSDb previous versions--quite a few of them, ranging from 2023.2.201 to 2023.12.5.

This version and the cars it is being sent to offer real hope that someone buying a new card with FSDb today, or subscribing today, might get actual FSDb software pretty soon.
I count 4 people that subscribed today and received it today.

Do you know if any of them have HW4?
Not newly added with 2023.12.10 / FSD Beta 11.3.6 (yet?), but there's at least two people around here that have gotten FSD Beta 11.4.1 on their HW4 vehicles a couple weeks ago:

Reactions: preilly44
Not newly added with 2023.12.10 / FSD Beta 11.3.6 (yet?), but there's at least two people around here that have gotten FSD Beta 11.4.1 on their HW4 vehicles a couple weeks ago:
But 11.4.1 has stopped.