Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model X - Interior Noise / Rattling / Crackling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
VINs 353XXX have exterior trims problem. I am surprised because they were built after the EOQ rush, but the exterior trims were not good. Pay attention to the gaps between the black trims on top of the windows, and below the windows, and also the rear quarter glasses. The rear quarter glasses are not fixable, unless they have to tear things apart and replace with a brand new one. So if you check them out and don't like them, do not take the delivery. SC will not fix them.
VINs 355XXX have almost perfect exterior trims though.

Mine is 350xxx and exterior trim/door alignment is actually quite good. There were three small problems that have already been corrected (one before I took delivery). Mine was built in the last week of the previous quarter and delivered on the very last day. The biggest problem now is interior noise which is not consistent so Murphy’s law says it won’t be happening when I show up for appt tomorrow.

Mine is 350xxx and exterior trim/door alignment is actually quite good. There were three small problems that have already been corrected (one before I took delivery). Mine was built in the last week of the previous quarter and delivered on the very last day. The biggest problem now is interior noise which is not consistent so Murphy’s law says it won’t be happening when I show up for appt tomorrow.
Which SC are your going to? I went to Dublin and the tech drove me on a little test loop where they could duplicate the noise. In my case it was an extra bolt in the door.

Coming from someone who has taken delivery of two Tesla’s from Tampa, and has taken both to Tampa and Orlando for service,, go to Sarasota and see what they say. It’s not that much more of a drive, and it’s a smaller less busy SC.

Maybe that's just Tesla's version of noise cancellation, and we just can't tell what other noise it's cancelling.

But seriously, there's a big difference between an SC being unable to resolve an issue and an SC that completely denies the issue / Tesla's responsibility to fix. I'm sympathetic to the first one, and not at all to the second.

Lemon laws exist for a reason. Look up Florida's, keep all documentation, and be clear to the SC that you are prepared to exercise your rights if they cannot fix it. Rattles are sometimes tough, because Tesla has language in their warranty that puts limits on when they'll address them, but if you submitted the issue early I don't see how they'd claim it's not covered.

We took delivery of our X LR 7 seater in late June. Fortunately we've had no real issues other than a slightly misaligned FWD that they adjusted. But if I had a rattle like that, I'd drop it off and tell them they need to fix it.

I took delivery of 2022 MX in March. VIn: 334024. Numerous amount of problems as compared to my MY. I've listed it below, maybe some one in here has a better solution then Tesla Service.

Still ongoing
- Interior front dash creeks
-Driver seat pops and creeks when turning
-control arm steering pops and creeks when turning
-excessive wind noise coming from driver and passenger windshield when going above 70 mph
-leaking falcon door- passenger side

Fixed as of now
- Front driver bottom wind diffuser trim fell off and replace (caused by excessive gap and tore apart by wind resistance)
-Trunk trim, passenger and driver side came off and repaired
-took delivery of broken charge door- finally fixed after 5 months
- driver falcon door won't close
- rear bumper gap
-driver sun visor didn't have magnets
-driver sea belt put on back wards

honestly shocking how many people are in the same boat... such a shame
It is shocking and it is sad.

Unfortunately this is where the #UNLIMITED DEMAND hurts us. Great as investors, but screwed as owners.

I want to say Elon doesnt *digest" that cars at this price point shouldn't have these ridiculous issues, squeaks and pops and leaks and misalignments, because to him it's an amazing piece of engineering which also goes with 'the mission'. Perhaps that's an alter boys view of it.

You can't tell me Elon hasn't spent time in $150k cars and then hopped in an S or X and been like SQUEAK POP BAM CREAK THUMP yo is this thing falling apart?

I will say the SC folks are always amazing in my experience, but they should be at any level, and even more so at the $100k club level.

They're always like "Oh yeah submit every stupid detail, as much as you guys pay, you should have it fixed to perfect!". Yeah well, I shouldn't have to point most of this stupid *sugar* out 🙄

Last edited:
I doubt that this issue is specific to a certain batch or factory. Even people who write "mine is completely silent" could easily test how "silent" their Tesla is by pressing on any plastic trim part inside the car. They all squeak when pressure is applied. It's quite shocking for a car that positions in the premium segment. Today I went out and pressed on many plastic parts inside my 2017 Model X, and they all made noise. I have some undetectable sources of noise when driving; still trying to figure it out. Felt tape is always in the trunk in case I reveal the issue... Funny enough, I also opened my Volvo V90 T8 2019 and did the same check - none of the plastic elements of the car interior makes any noise. Just none! I just wish Tesla buys one decent car like MB, BMW or Volvo, opens it up and learns how to make proper interiors. My Model X is from 2017, and I keep reading people having brand new cars manufactured five years later have exactly the same issue.

Tell them to pop every fkin panel and line EVERYTHING with felt tape.

I'm about to tear my X down and do this too.

Mine sounded exactly like the video. It turned out to be the humongous c-pillar panel that wraps from the second row past the third row to the trunk. I fixed it by popping the entire edge from the FWD threshold to the just behind the 3rd row seat and using felt tape. It's silent now.

VINs 353XXX have exterior trims problem. I am surprised because they were built after the EOQ rush, but the exterior trims were not good. Pay attention to the gaps between the black trims on top of the windows, and below the windows, and also the rear quarter glasses. The rear quarter glasses are not fixable, unless they have to tear things apart and replace with a brand new one. So if you check them out and don't like them, do not take the delivery. SC will not fix them.
VINs 355XXX have almost perfect exterior trims though.

My MXP is an EOQ 337XXX and both rear quarter panel windows had to be replaced as they were installed beyond warped and crooked.

My new MX has a rattle coming from the back. It sounds more metallic to me than plastic. I noticed the rear hatch has a spring loaded plate to cover up where the latch is in the floor of the MX. Has anyone found that to rattle? That is my current hunch but haven't had a chance to test my theory yet.

I did a bunch of experimenting and found it doesn't appear to be the hatch, but is coming from the 3rd row seats. The rattle is less when the seats are up, but still occurs. Has anyone else seen this? The driver side seat rattles and the passenger side doesn't. The rattle sounds like it is coming from within the seat itself.

Reactions: jiehan
Mine sounded exactly like the video. It turned out to be the humongous c-pillar panel that wraps from the second row past the third row to the trunk. I fixed it by popping the entire edge from the FWD threshold to the just behind the 3rd row seat and using felt tape. It's silent now.
Can you take a picture of where you added the tape? Thanks.

I assume this thread is unfortunately discussing different root causes with similar annoying results, making it hard to get any concrete information.

Mine was almost entirely fixed by Berkeley SC a few weeks ago- the invoice said they installed extra sound dampening material in the door, but I don’t know where exactly. My creaking noise was coming from somewhere in the upper passenger side fwd. the weird thing is it came back yesterday after I hand-washed my car, including drying the seals well with an air cannon. Then the noise was thankfully gone again this morning. The X is definitely a complicated vehicle!

Last edited:
You fixed it, or Tesla did? With your description I assume you did.

Yes. I fixed it. Also fixed the middle row seat bottoms from rattling. The harness connector was hanging down vibrating against the under panel and I zip tied those. I'll post pictures of the c-panel if I can. I'm not sure I want to pull the clips out again. You can't see the tape unless you pull it apart.

Reactions: Dayreg